First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Looks like Tire Rack is testing mobile installs using Rivian Vans.

GFMtl_uXcAAUPe0.jpeg

GFMtl_zXQAAi7e_.jpeg

GFMtl_vWgAAr_Bx.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Amazing! Love it!

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Can they do wheel alignment when they come out?

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Can they do wheel alignment when they come out?
A mobile technician. Told me they have a hard time using the lasers in high light areas and really need a garage to do it well

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Very cool. I love it.

Brian

JWortman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FG R1T w/ OC Interior

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The USPS has more needs than just the workhorse NGDV. USPS is purchasing some additional vehicles as "Commercial Off-The-Shelf" items. Many of these additional vehicles are ICE vehicles, or hybrids. The procurement process for COTS equipment is entirely different (and greatly simplified) compared to the process used to solicit designs and bids for large quantities of purpose-built items.

A few things to note are that the COTS items must be commercially available, must be available to the general public, and must require little to no modification to make them suitable for (USPS) use. For example, with vehicles, whether EVs or ICE vehicles, most government agencies need generic cars (sedans) for all sorts of purposes. COTS items available on the GSA Schedule allow agencies to pull out a catalog and pick something that suits their needs - these items have pre-negotiated prices and delivery schedules and agencies don't need to go through a competive procurement process to buy them. Competetive processes can take 6 months to many years, depending on the dollar amount, plus a LOT of government manpower, while COTS purchases can in practice be delivered immediately with little effort on the part of the agency.

But the vendor needs to take active steps if the vendor wants to sell items to the government on the GSA schedule. Including negotiating prices and guaranteeing delivery timelines. This requires all sorts of things from the vendor including on-staff people familiar with government contracting. A lot of businesses are not interested in dealing with all those regulations just for the privilege of selling a limited quantity to a government buyer. And for a still small, still new business like Rivian, it would be IMO a big distraction and a bit of a money suck to chase government buyers with the low volume R1 and EDV platforms. It's a strategic business decision whether you want to try to sell to the government market like that, but you know it CAN'T be more lucrative than selling to the general public because the government requires you to sell to them at a price no higher than you sell to the public (this will be audited) and because you need to spend a lot of corporate money to qualify and to maintain your qualifications.

Canoo is on the GSA schedule. Rivian is not. So the USPS cannot buy Rivian vans as a COTS purchase. See https://www.gsa.gov/buy-through-us/...eet-electrification/alternative-fuel-vehicles

This could change in the future, but I hope Rivian doesn't go down the road of chasing after low-volume government business anytime soon.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Does this mean they’ll know how to use jack pucks in the proper place on Rivian R1s?

Sponsored

drichan

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Curious does anyone know if Rivian had power outlets in the cargo area? Seems like a great way to power tools for these types of applications. I don’t remember if that was shared in any of the Amazon delivery van videos.

Ric G

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, BMW E30M3, Suzuki SJ410, Mercedes EQB300
Occupation
Self Employed
Just sell me one so I can I live in it already.
Coparts has a few "slightly used" EDV500's and 700's.
Non drivers, move in ready!
(Although you might have a hard time evicting the critters that have taken up residence) :CWL: 🤣

Although after looking closer there is one that has some roof damage that doesn't look too bad from the available pictures. Guess not worth it for Amazon to fix it and they totalled it.
Sponsored