Sponsored

Rivian Ambassadorship... and answering "do you think they're [Rivian] going to make it?"

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

All this talk of Rivian being plowed under or scooped up saddens us. We have been along on the ride from the very beginning. We are still hopeful that Rivian can keep themselves together and remain viable.

Brian
Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I’ve had a few people sort of interested in buying a Rivian mention the financial picture. It’s a FUD component that is starting to influence people’s decision to buy a Rivian. Rivian does need to answer the capital markets question in the next few quarters or it will start really showing up in vehicle demand. People are paying attention.

When asked, I answer honestly. I say that Rivian is in about the same spot Tesla was in around 2016 or 2017. They’ll either find a way to raise cash or get acquired in order to support the R2 launch. They’ve built too much of value for the brand to simply go away.

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I live in the SF Bay Area, where there are a lot of Rivians and a lot of people who know of Rivian and express interest in Rivian. I was as my 13-year old son's flag football game this afternoon, and as I turned into the parking lot, I realized that I was one of four Rivians (one T and 3 S's) all within a few hundred feet of each other. But more to my point, as I talked to various friends and acquaintances during the game, all of whom know that we have a Rivian, I got into three separate conversations about Rivian - all conversations with people who clearly are intrigued by Rivian. I've consistently been a brand ambassador ever since we get our R1S, and today was no exception.

But for the first time today, I had to answer to a "do you think they're going to make it?" question. Tough one, and I had a difficult time answering it. Although I was pretty confident in my "yes", ultimately all I could say was that a) we love our R1S, b) it has had some hiccups that you'd expect from a start up car manufacturer, c) we can't wait to see the R2 reveal next week, as the R2 is to Rivian as the M3 was to Tesla, and d) I'm confident that as inflation continues to abate and as the economy improves, there is is going to be a lot of room for Rivian and EVs to succeed. Hopefully in the long run I'm proven right and in the short run my conversations help people make a purchase decision!
Much of this depends on the imports, esp BYD, and I guess the tarrifs.

Rivian is more likely to be purchased than going bankrupt. But what happens after it's purchased is anyone's guess.

I think the outlook is dim as a standalone brand after RJ pretty much admitted they will need to go back to the equity market again.

LetsgoRIVN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I’ve had a few people sort of interested in buying a Rivian mention the financial picture. It’s a FUD component that is starting to influence people’s decision to buy a Rivian. Rivian does need to answer the capital markets question in the next few quarters or it will start really showing up in vehicle demand. People are paying attention.

When asked, I answer honestly. I say that Rivian is in about the same spot Tesla was in around 2016 or 2017. They’ll either find a way to raise cash or get acquired in order to support the R2 launch. They’ve built too much of value for the brand to simply go away.
I couldn’t agree more, as of now we don’t know what’s RJ’s road map to 2026. I honestly believe that R2 production in the current facility will put everyone at ease from a cash need perspective.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Drove by a plant Ford closed, today. Ford is in the process of stockpiling their ICE pickups in the parking lots. Easily several hundreds of them that weren't there on Monday. But yeah, EVs are in trouble, sure.

Sponsored

BFNMichigan

First Name
Gaston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self-employed
Clubs

EVs are one of the main tools (if not the main) to achieve a new world order, hence the fierce resistance against them.
Cleaner cars, cleaner air, rational public health measures, no oil being leaked on roads and into our water bodies everywhere, science, facts, logic, reason, George Soros....

When will the evil end????

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I hope so.

The Model 3 came out at a time when there was very little competition at all. By the time that the R2 is produced in meaningful numbers, every car brand will have a similar small electric SUV/CUV in the same price point.
You’re right, the industry has gone crossover crazy.

The keys to success for Rivian are qualifying for the $7,500 EV point-of-sale rebate, keeping costs down, and ramping production. It really is hell to be an automaker startup in 2024. I hope they make it.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Drove by a plant Ford closed, today. Ford is in the process of stockpiling their ICE pickups in the parking lots. Easily several hundreds of them that weren't there on Monday. But yeah, EVs are in trouble, sure.
Yeah, no one is buying big ticket items with these terrible interest rates and increasing prices on rent, services, etc.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Keep in mind if Trump gets elected which so far it looks very probable he will that will make electrification take a major step back. I don’t want anyone here to be surprised when all these incentives from the IRA go away and less people buy EV’s in the future if that were to happen.
Flip side to that is that the expected uptick in the economy/consumer confidence will allow more people to afford them.

A lot of it's gas prices anyway which we have little control over.

Last edited:

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I live in the SF Bay Area, where there are a lot of Rivians and a lot of people who know of Rivian and express interest in Rivian. I was as my 13-year old son's flag football game this afternoon, and as I turned into the parking lot, I realized that I was one of four Rivians (one T and 3 S's) all within a few hundred feet of each other. But more to my point, as I talked to various friends and acquaintances during the game, all of whom know that we have a Rivian, I got into three separate conversations about Rivian - all conversations with people who clearly are intrigued by Rivian. I've consistently been a brand ambassador ever since we get our R1S, and today was no exception.

But for the first time today, I had to answer to a "do you think they're going to make it?" question. Tough one, and I had a difficult time answering it. Although I was pretty confident in my "yes", ultimately all I could say was that a) we love our R1S, b) it has had some hiccups that you'd expect from a start up car manufacturer, c) we can't wait to see the R2 reveal next week, as the R2 is to Rivian as the M3 was to Tesla, and d) I'm confident that as inflation continues to abate and as the economy improves, there is is going to be a lot of room for Rivian and EVs to succeed. Hopefully in the long run I'm proven right and in the short run my conversations help people make a purchase decision!
I really really enjoy my S. I get this question all the time - east coast but now a fair bit of Rivians around town. The answer is what you said plus, honestly, if Rivian looks like it may not be a going concern, it will be bought by another player (my bet is amazon).

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yeah, no one is buying big ticket items with these terrible interest rates and increasing prices on rent, services, etc.
It wasn't as big of a deal when the used prices were high, but most buyers are immediately underwater and loan terms have been getting longer. When you don't have equity in your vehicle for 5 years, it's going to continue to be a big issue.

0ut0fenergy

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Tesla
Cleaner cars, cleaner air, rational public health measures, no oil being leaked on roads and into our water bodies everywhere, science, facts, logic, reason, George Soros....

When will the evil end????
George Soros is evil. What are you talking about? It's been proven but facts and truths are irrelevant I guess over your feelings and what propaganda feeds you.

EVs are stock piling everywhere from Ford to Rivian to Tesla. It's too expensive and anything other than Tesla there's no infrastructure to charge. Even with rivian sucking on tesla SC success, battery thermal management is poor. Worse than my 2016 Nissan leaf which was air cooled. I can't fast charge it anytime during the summer without severely handicapped.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
George Soros is evil. What are you talking about? It's been proven but facts and truths are irrelevant I guess over your feelings and what propaganda feeds you.

EVs are stock piling everywhere from Ford to Rivian to Tesla. It's too expensive and anything other than Tesla there's no infrastructure to charge. Even with rivian sucking on tesla SC success, battery thermal management is poor. Worse than my 2016 Nissan leaf which was air cooled. I can't fast charge it anytime during the summer without severely handicapped.
Um, are you okay? Seriously. Peace.
Sponsored