First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Occupation
Retired pathologist
The ability to upgrade after delivery impacts more than the federal rebate in some states. In Kentucky, property taxes are paid each year upon license renewal. The annual taxes are based on the purchase price paid upon delivery.

Adding the performance upgrade after delivery means the owner’s annual property taxes would be based on 94K rather than 99K (with max pack). This is a significant amount tax difference over the life of the vehicle. This is a reason Tesla allows addition of FSD after purchase. Lucid mistakenly did not follow this route.
Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

My question is, if you are stuck on an obstacle, can you go into the settings real quick and pay $5000 for the extra power to get up and over?

Also, same question when you are at a stoplight and a cybertruck pulls up next to you.

Final question, can you sell the upgrade back to Rivian when it comes time to resell the car?

So many possibilities open up when you get charged to unlock the hardware you already bought....

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

This software upgrade could also potentially result in some shady Tesla resale stuff - i.e., removal of purchased features in used sales.

While my understanding is that they can't remove features present on the Monroney sticker at purchase (e.g, "FSD" at purchase for Tesla and Dual Motor Performance at purchase for Rivian), there have been some issues with Tesla removing FSD and Free Supercharging when buying used through a dealer, but not private party sales. I'm still confused why a purchased OEM upgrade does not stick with the vehicle - software or otherwise - no matter who is selling it.

I know this issue has changed through the years and I'm not aware of the current state of things on the Tesla side, but the transferability of this potential Rivian Performance software upgrade to 2nd and 3rd owners will be something to monitor.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just got the R1T PDM Max two weeks ago (just a few days before all of the actual range results were published... arrrg....), and if they come out that upgrading from DM to PDM after purchase is less than $5k, I'm not going to be happy, along with every other PDM buyer. So I highly doubt that it will be less than $5k, and more than likely more that $6k.
I really hope you were a early reservation holder since the max is such a minor boost in useable road trip/towing range.
i highly doubt that the performance upgrade will be less than $7.5k.
When they changed the upgrade price structure some of the upgrades became nearly unjustifiable. In Canada the MP is now a $24k upgrade, absolutely insane that is $1k per road trip mile. So glad I put in 2 deposits.
I just don't see the PDM post purchase upgrade being affordable. I could actually see them having 2 levels of performance upgrade once the Enduro Quad comes out.

iamnid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3, Mercedes EQE
If it stays the same $5,000 price as the current difference between dual motor and dual motor performance, I'd be inclined to purchase it afterward. I ended up purchasing the similar "acceleration boost" on my Tesla Model Y for $2,000.00 and am happy with the purchase. If I can save the $5,000 up front and add it later, I'll likely do it.

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

This reminds me of when I received emails from Tesla to upgrade my wife's Model 3, and later Model Y for $2,000 for "acceleration boost." That was an easy decision both times. There are many reasons to defer cost from an initial purchase, affordability, tax or otherwise. Rivian monetizing the existing capabilities with little cost is super smart business as long as they can do it without upsetting those who purchase the upgrades initially.

Who amongst us wouldn't pay extra for some enhanced capabilities? I know I would. I have offroad tires that don't need any more speed or acceleration, but if I still had street tires I'd quickly pay $2k for a "track mode" that upped the top speed to 130 and let the motors loose. I'd pay $500 right now to unlock a tank turn mode, just for fun.

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

I really hope you were a early reservation holder since the max is such a minor boost in useable road trip/towing range.
i highly doubt that the performance upgrade will be less than $7.5k.
When they changed the upgrade price structure some of the upgrades became nearly unjustifiable. In Canada the MP is now a $24k upgrade, absolutely insane that is $1k per road trip mile. So glad I put in 2 deposits.
I just don't see the PDM post purchase upgrade being affordable. I could actually see them having 2 levels of performance upgrade once the Enduro Quad comes out.
Yeah, I was an early reservation holder so that helped me justify the price a little, but it was also just before there was any "real world" data on the Max's actual performance, and obviously that PDM would be available after purchase. I was holding out as long as I could, but with the year coming to an end I needed it on the books for 2023.

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Tech Guy
Clubs

I kinda doubt that a paid software upgrade will upgrade the standard Dual Motor to the full output of the DM Performance spec. I expect it will be more like what Tesla has offered to Dual Motor Model 3/Y owners, and charge something lower than the upcharge for the Performance model, and not upgrade the system to full DM Performance specs

DevonD

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - waiting on R1T
I kinda doubt that a paid software upgrade will upgrade the standard Dual Motor to the full output of the DM Performance spec. I expect it will be more like what Tesla has offered to Dual Motor Model 3/Y owners, and charge something lower than the upcharge for the Performance model, and not upgrade the system to full DM Performance specs
The difference is that it’s actually different motors on a performance Y/3 vs the standard dual motor cars. DM R1’s and DM Perf R1’s are mechanically identical.

Reactions: CMH

Sponsored

mark_kazimer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Has anyone noticed that Rivian seems to all out Dual Motor Performance R1S vehicles? I have a friend that was “very close“ to delivery 2-3 months ago, then suddenly Rivian can‘t find anything for him, and they can’t even tell him when one will be available. Is there a new issue with the Performance vehicles?

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
This software upgrade could also potentially result in some shady Tesla resale stuff - i.e., removal of purchased features in used sales.

While my understanding is that they can't remove features present on the Monroney sticker at purchase (e.g, "FSD" at purchase for Tesla and Dual Motor Performance at purchase for Rivian), there have been some issues with Tesla removing FSD and Free Supercharging when buying used through a dealer, but not private party sales. I'm still confused why a purchased OEM upgrade does not stick with the vehicle - software or otherwise - no matter who is selling it.

I know this issue has changed through the years and I'm not aware of the current state of things on the Tesla side, but the transferability of this potential Rivian Performance software upgrade to 2nd and 3rd owners will be something to monitor.
The only time that happened is when Tesla buys a car back and own it. They the remove the options from their side. Some of those cars end up on a dealer lot before another OTA software update is complete reflecting this change.

For sure, Tesla should catch these before they leave their hands and it's not clear if the third party dealerships know what they are buying or not. I have to assume it is disclosed to the dealer, otherwise you would think there would be some lawsuits.

The more likely case are the dealerships are not forthcoming, covering their asses, and pushing the problem to the consumer.

But Tesla doesn't remove those features, unless they own the car themselves.

On another topic does FSD have any resale value? It didn't when I sold mine, interesting to see the development over 5 years, but financially was a complete loss.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Has anyone noticed that Rivian seems to all out Dual Motor Performance R1S vehicles? I have a friend that was “very close“ to delivery 2-3 months ago, then suddenly Rivian can‘t find anything for him, and they can’t even tell him when one will be available. Is there a new issue with the Performance vehicles?
Yes. It's called demand.

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yeah this is a no go if it's a subscription model. This just targets the folks that only see the lower monthly but end up paying more in the long run. A reasonable one time upgrade fee and I'm in.

I'm assuming the PDM upgrade is only available to those that got the Large and Max pack. Any word on the battery requirement for this performance upgrade?

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs