Sponsored

CMH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Clubs

I spoke with sales this morning on the phone as well as someone in the Seattle Rivian Space this afternoon. They both confirmed that Rivian announced internally today that they can start telling customers that the ability to upgrade the software from Dual to Dual Performance will be available for purchase in 2024. Exact timing and pricing unknown.

Wonder if it will cost more than $5k?
Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
This was alluded to before, but during the Dual Motor release, it was cast in doubt because they might have been making the rear inverters with slightly different material. It'd be great to hear the official statement on all this.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
From 533 to 665 hp, it better not be demanding more than $5k. Even $3k would be borderline hard-to-justify. Worst case scenario, it becomes one of the many annual subscription based services, like MB did to the EQS/EQE.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Now do the quad

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It’d be a great way to get under $80k for certain options for the tax credit. And get the PDM upgrade afterwards
Or decide the base model is still pretty dang quick and save 5k plus get the tax rebate. 😎

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

It almost certainly will incentivize adding the upgrade at time of purchase, and be an additional cost to add post purchase.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
I wonder if they’ll also use it to their advantage: could potentially switch cars in shop between DM and PDM to move inventory

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wonder if they’ll also use it to their advantage: could potentially switch cars in shop between DM and PDM to move inventory
Or....what about more extreme amounts? Like say make the QM have like 300hp for $79995, and add $20k post sale for 850hp?

Call it the "Tuner QM" or "QM Basic".

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It almost certainly will incentivize adding the upgrade at time of purchase, and be an additional cost to add post purchase.
It’s a tough call, I think. I can see keeping the price delta the same, if Rivian is aiming to help buyers with tax credit potential.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Or....what about more extreme amounts? Like say make the QM have like 300hp for $79995, and add $20k post sale for 850hp?

this would be amazing. tbh i love the R1S and have my order up right now for configuration but am not in the place to purchase a 100K vehicle. Even more so I’m waiting for the new Ascent model that’s rumored for the spring/summer. I want an enduro quad and if they did something similar to incentivize purchase I’d be ALL over it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I see a potential problem with that if people buy the truck and think, “300hp is good enough since I really want it for adventure/off-road stuff anyway.” and Rivian loses even more per vehicle on QM Basic. Even if they also lockout the rear motors and eliminate the sport and off-road modes I think it’s risky for the company.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I see a potential problem with that if people buy the truck and think, “300hp is good enough since I really want it for adventure/off-road stuff anyway.” and Rivian loses even more per vehicle on QM Basic. Even if they also lockout the rear motors and eliminate the sport and off-road modes I think it’s risky for the company.
They could also software limit the battery to something silly like 50 miles of range if too many people weren't buying the upgrade.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I agree that does make sense. I just wonder where the line in sand would be where it could make sense as a work around to limits on tax incentive.
Sponsored