Rivian Top Speed Too Low?

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I’m indifferent to the 110 nannie, especially if your goal in 1/4 mile racing. From the videos I’ve watched it runs a pretty consistent 11.5. (Correct me if I’m wrong) Give or take driver skill, track prep and tire choice. If you want to go faster than 11, put a car built for drag racing on a trailer and use the Rivian to get it to the track. Sure race the the Rivian for giggles, then race a built not bought Nova, Chevelle, Camaro or Mustang (for the Ford crowd), for sub 11 runs. It way more satisfying to race something you built. Even if its slower. I”m against “out of the box“ 9 second cars, EV or ICE. Most people don’t have a sense of how dangerous it can be.
I had one of the first Model S Plaids on the road that I picked up June 29th of 2021. I immediately took it to Fomoso near Bakersfield. I arrived there with about 80% SOC and immediately ripped off 3-4 9.3x's at over 150. No sound, no drama. Just a video I saw later at the starting line where the starter and a few other people were like, Holy sh*t, WTF was that?

I could not get anyone to line up the rest of the night and they made me run solo all night anyway. This was way before the NHRA rules changed that allows stock vehicles to run much quicker now.

That car rewrote the book when I comes to acceleration and I agree with you, without a full understanding of what it is capable of, it can be dangerous. But I'm still for 9 second EV's because I like it, but I do understand what you mean.
Sponsored

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
I had one of the first Model S Plaids on the road that I picked up June 29th of 2021. I immediately took it to Fomoso near Bakersfield. I arrived there with about 80% SOC and immediately ripped off 3-4 9.3x's at over 150. No sound, no drama. Just a video I saw later at the starting line where the starter and a few other people were like, Holy sh*t, WTF was that?

I could not get anyone to line up the rest of the night and they made me run solo all night anyway. This was way before the NHRA rules changed that allows stock vehicles to run much quicker now.

That car rewrote the book when I comes to acceleration and I agree with you, without a full understanding of what it is capable of, it can be dangerous. But I'm still for 9 second EV's because I like it, but I do understand what you mean.
I’m with you 100% it’s not that they exist, it’s that anyone can get one. I really think there should be tiered licenses or training for certain vehicles. Viper ACR’s, Veron, Tesla Plaid, Hellcats, etc. Either the industry and enthusiasts police themselves, the government sets standards or sooner or later the insurance company will start taking measures.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m with you 100% it’s not that they exist, it’s that anyone can get one. I really think there should be tiered licenses or training for certain vehicles. Viper ACR’s, Veron, Tesla Plaid, Hellcats, etc. Either the industry and enthusiasts police themselves, the government sets standards or sooner or later the insurance company will start taking measures.
LOL, it was like literally the day after Tesla released Track Mode for the Plaid, the internet blew up with knuckleheads destroying their cars. Even the ones who thought they were being wise and testing it out in a large parking lot would spin it and just destroy the underside of the car.
It’s funny when people tear up their own stuff, but not funny if they hurt others. I had that car for a year, have been drag racing my entire life, have done innumerable track days and performance driving schools and I never used Track mode in the Plaid. Not because I’m some super wise middle aged dude, but because I know how quickly things get pear shaped and I didn’t want to stuff $150k into a tree.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a tiered drivers license system. But I’m going to put the odds of that happening right at less than 1%.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
LOL, it was like literally the day after Tesla released Track Mode for the Plaid, the internet blew up with knuckleheads destroying their cars. Even the ones who thought they were being wise and testing it out in a large parking lot would spin it and just destroy the underside of the car.
It’s funny when people tear up their own stuff, but not funny if they hurt others. I had that car for a year, have been drag racing my entire life, have done innumerable track days and performance driving schools and I never used Track mode in the Plaid. Not because I’m some super wise middle aged dude, but because I know how quickly things get pear shaped and I didn’t want to stuff $150k into a tree.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a tiered drivers license system. But I’m going to put the odds of that happening right at less than 1%.
Well said! Personal responsibility as opposed to Government regulations...

Sponsored

Mickey

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Is it just me or is Rivian top speed too low? 112-115. I realize that in the Hagerty drag race, the Rivian tops out way too soon before the quarter and stops accelerating too early, thus loosing out. It’s not a dragster I know but It would do better if it went to like 130? Software update in sport mode?? Also does anyone feel the truck regen-brakes/decelerate too hard when you zip past someone on the freeway and let off the go pedal. I feel like an idiot every time it “jams on the brakes” when I just want to slowly reduce speed when I pass someone.

Plenty fast for me. To get use to the pedal, I think of it as like a golf cart and smoothly feather the pedal actions. Letting your foot off the pedal is just like braking. (I very rarely need to use the actual brake pedal.)

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T
Occupation
Physician
*for you.
If you're driving 110 mph on public roads you're a complete ass hat. If you're buying the 7200 lb. Rivian to track it you're just stupid. There's no need to increase the top end and the fact that something this heavy hits it in 11 seconds makes me happy I have a governor. Go to a track in something light see what emergency stopping from 110 mph feels like. Don't fall into to the fan boys numbers club.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
If you're driving 110 mph on public roads you're a complete ass hat. If you're buying the 7200 lb. Rivian to track it you're just stupid. There's no need to increase the top end and the fact that something this heavy hits it in 11 seconds makes me happy I have a governor. Go to a track in something light see what emergency stopping from 110 mph feels like. Don't fall into to the fan boys numbers club.
That's a cute opinion.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
For those that know how to run a drag race, a top speed increase would be welcome.

For those that want to know how the R1 compares to every other performance truck/suv (and have a pro run the numbers), a top speed increase would be welcome.

For everyone else, just ignore the top speed, like you do with every other car you own. It's o.k.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Sponsored

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I’ve drove a Plaid, not in track mode, and its stupid fast as is. The guy who owns it thinks its to much for the street and needs downforce for the track. It’s great for keyboard warriors.

As much sense as it would make, i agree, the odds are slim.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve drove a Plaid, not in track mode, and its stupid fast as is. The guy who owns it, is a competitive LMP2 driver, even he thinks its to much for the street and needs downforce for the track. It’s great for keyboard warriors.

As much sense as it would make, i agree, the odds are slim.
Just to really emphasize the point, I see you have a GSA. I also ride and have a few bikes, 2 of them with over 200HP to the rear wheel and right around 400 pounds wet. The Plaid S is faster than either of them. That just boggles my mind and is the first time in my life where my car is faster than my bikes. I've since switched my S Plaid to an X Plaid and now it might be kinda a race. o_O

Yeah, these cars are wicked, wicked fast. And heavy.

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to really emphasize the point, I see you have a GSA. I also ride and have a few bikes, 2 of them with over 200HP to the rear wheel and right around 400 pounds wet. The Plaid S is faster than either of them. That just boggles my mind and is the first time in my life where my car is faster than my bikes. I've since switched my S Plaid to an X Plaid and now it might be kinda a race. o_O

Yeah, these cars are wicked, wicked fast. And heavy.
Theres a Hagerty video where the drag race a track spec superbike vs various super cars. It beat everything but the Plaid and Lucid. I think the bike was a BMW 1000RR-R, I could be wrong though.
I have very little motorcycle experience, a lot of miles, but when it comes to bikes I’m in the middle of the performance envelope. The big ol’ GSA is fast enough for me. Buddy of mine offered me a go on his Ducati Monster, I passed. Not a skill set I have, nor want to learn. I like having sheet metal around me