Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
What do you think this phrase means?

"Feel free to switch your model and update your paint, interior, upgrades, wheels and tires at any time without losing your place in line for delivery. As long as you do not opt for our Adventure or Explore packages, your Launch Edition priority is secure. Please note that any changes to your configuration will not be finalized until “Save Preferences” has been selected."

I was originally configured for a LE R1T with a May/June Delivery. I decided to switch to the R1S in early June. I did not receive an email with an updated delivery date, though people with orders far later than my Aug 2020 Pre-order have first half of 23 delivery windows. My Guide (from when I had an R1T order) said he doesn't know when my R1S will be delivered. Theoretically, I shouldn't have lost my place in line, but it doesn't seem that way.
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Regardless of what the website states I would be prepared to wait around 6 months from the time R1S's start being delivered in earnest.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various

"Feel free to switch your model and update your paint, interior, upgrades, wheels and tires at any time without losing your place in line for delivery. As long as you do not opt for our Adventure or Explore packages, your Launch Edition priority is secure. Please note that any changes to your configuration will not be finalized until “Save Preferences” has been selected."

I was originally configured for a LE R1T with a May/June Delivery. I decided to switch to the R1S in early June. I did not receive an email with an updated delivery date, though people with orders far later than my Aug 2020 Pre-order have first half of 23 delivery windows. My Guide (from when I had an R1T order) said he doesn't know when my R1S will be delivered. Theoretically, I shouldn't have lost my place in line, but it doesn't seem that way.
This philosophical debate has already been raged, but you're thinking of the "line" wrong. It's not a single line where you can change models, configuration, etc. while waiting and moving up in the line, then just tell them the final answer when you get to the front.

There's a line for every model and configuration iteration, and every time you change yours, you move to a new line and are inserted in the appropriate place according to the baseline variables such as order date and location. Your place in this new line may or may not be anywhere close to the same point in the space time continuum.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Regardless of what the website states I would be prepared to wait around 6 months from the time R1S's start being delivered in earnest.
Probably the right thing to do

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This philosophical debate has already been raged, but you're thinking of the "line" wrong. It's not a single line where you can change models, configuration, etc. while waiting and moving up in the line, then just tell them the final answer when you get to the front.

There's a line for every model and configuration iteration, and every time you change yours, you move to a new line and are inserted in the appropriate place according to the baseline variables such as order date and location. Your place in this new line may or may not be anywhere close to the same point in the space time continuum.
Haha, Not sure what is funnier this explanation or the fact that it's one of the most accurate depiction I've read.
If I'm the OP I would switch back to the R1T. I'm not sure why anyone on this forum would torture themselves by getting their hopes up with a soon to come R1T reservation then switch it in the 11th hour to an R1S, how could you not see the writing on the wall that this is going to be a substantially later delivery. If you really need the SUV over the truck then the wait was always going to be longer (or at least that was clear by May 2022). Personally I had always suspected this would be the case ever since over a year prior nearly all test mules were R1T's, R1T's started on a media tour to all the journalists/ influencers, R1T had the manual released, R1T factory walkaround videos and virtually nil of the SUV.

Reactions: Jac
OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
If I'm the OP I would switch back to the R1T. I'm not sure why anyone on this forum would torture themselves by getting their hopes up with a soon to come R1T reservation then switch it in the 11th hour to an R1S, how could you not see the writing on the wall that this is going to be a substantially later delivery. If you really need the SUV over the truck then the wait was always going to be longer (or at least that was clear by May 2022). Personally I had always suspected this would be the case ever since over a year prior nearly all test mules were R1T's, R1T's started on a media tour to all the journalists/ influencers, R1T had the manual released, R1T factory walkaround videos and virtually nil of the SUV.
Well, when I made the switch, my Guide told me I would probably have it by the end of 22. I was cool with that. Now, it seems, you do lose your place in line if you switch. Or, at least, that is my assumption based on not receiving an updated delivery timeline email in June that so many others received.

I am an Aug 2020 LE holder in Orange County Ca. With multiple SC’s near me. I have Black Mountain Interior and 20’s, so I am not a unicorn build with the exception of being Compass Yellow. I should be firmly in that first half of 23 timeframe.

If I switch back to the truck, who knows where I will end up.

Truth is, the SUV is probably better for me as a daily driver and I will use the internal space, which is why I switched.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor
Orange County, CA with an R1S LE El Cap/BM and initial deposit placed December 4, 2018. As I have stated elsewhere, I will be bummed and possibly very pissed if I start hearing about R1S deliveries in OC to non-Rivian workers before me. My window is Oct-Dec and I still don't understand why locations like CO would get R1S deliveries prior to anyone in CA near HQ, Venice and Costa Mesa service center. Seems inexplicable. But I am sure loving the new e-tron while I wait.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

To your question, the phrase doesn’t mean much

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired

Who knows...
Sponsored

Last edited: