Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m curious to see how my iKamper X-Cover fits. It’s basically a king size. Even on my Raptor it had a little overhang. I’m thinking of mounting it on the roof or selling it and getting something a bit smaller.

Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions 50822251331_f3e0e4b92d_b
Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Hey everyone, looking for some input/advice here. I have an R1S on order with a Feb/Mar delivery window (at least as of right now) and am researching roof top tents. Unfortunately, everything I've found on here is about tents on R1Ts (I'm happy for y'all, I swear). I've found that I like what Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) is pushing as far as quality/features/cost, but I'm trying to figure out what would fit on the R1S.

As far as tents, I was looking at the Mt. Shasta from the Pioneer Series or the Mt. Washington (small or medium). I was able to determine that the R1S's crossbar spread on the front bars is 36" (thanks @kanundrum !) and I'm concerned about the length of the tents and how much of the tent would extend beyond the crossbars unsupported toward the front and rear of the vehicle. The Mt. Shasta dimensions largely mirror the Yakima Skyline listed on the Rivian site (56" long), whereas the Mt. Washington small is 62" long and medium is 71" long (although I found a video saying it's actually 75"). Based on my crazy math skills, that leaves the Yakima & Shasta at 10" of overhang, the small Washington at 13", and the large Washington at 17.5" based on the listed width (19.5" if guy on youtube is right).

So... how much is too much overhang past the crossbars? I've not used roof top tents before - as a kid I slept in a ground tent and all my big boy "camping" has been on military vehicles, so I don't know what I'm talking about. I'd like to get the most tent I can get as I plan on taking the wife and kids (10 & 8) out camping with the three of them in the tent and me in the R1S. I'd just like them to have room so I'm not dealing with three angry ladies in the morning. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit

Generally speaking avoid XL tents and wedge tents, and then check the dimensions.
What is the problem with wedges? I'm only interested in a RTT if it is super convenient to use. Wedges are the fastest to setup and tear down so that is what I've been looking at.

Thanks

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What is the problem with wedges? I'm only interested in a RTT if it is super convenient to use. Wedges are the fastest to setup and tear down so that is what I've been looking at.

Thanks
They require mounting solutions, ie they can't just be mounted over the bed. You'd need a bed rack the and roof rack to match height and support the tent.

That plus when you cover the antennae you may have D+ issues and will definitely lose efficiency.

All that said probably what I would do too if I wanted an RTT on the R1T (or R1S)

AirCruiser

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Elgrand, Polestar
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Hey everyone, looking for some input/advice here. I have an R1S on order with a Feb/Mar delivery window (at least as of right now) and am researching roof top tents. Unfortunately, everything I've found on here is about tents on R1Ts (I'm happy for y'all, I swear). I've found that I like what Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) is pushing as far as quality/features/cost, but I'm trying to figure out what would fit on the R1S.

As far as tents, I was looking at the Mt. Shasta from the Pioneer Series or the Mt. Washington (small or medium). I was able to determine that the R1S's crossbar spread on the front bars is 36" (thanks @kanundrum !) and I'm concerned about the length of the tents and how much of the tent would extend beyond the crossbars unsupported toward the front and rear of the vehicle. The Mt. Shasta dimensions largely mirror the Yakima Skyline listed on the Rivian site (56" long), whereas the Mt. Washington small is 62" long and medium is 71" long (although I found a video saying it's actually 75"). Based on my crazy math skills, that leaves the Yakima & Shasta at 10" of overhang, the small Washington at 13", and the large Washington at 17.5" based on the listed width (19.5" if guy on youtube is right).

So... how much is too much overhang past the crossbars? I've not used roof top tents before - as a kid I slept in a ground tent and all my big boy "camping" has been on military vehicles, so I don't know what I'm talking about. I'd like to get the most tent I can get as I plan on taking the wife and kids (10 & 8) out camping with the three of them in the tent and me in the R1S. I'd just like them to have room so I'm not dealing with three angry ladies in the morning. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Tango45,

Make sure you check out the Air Cruiser.

It’s an Air Frame that self assembles. It’s more compact and lightweight than other RTTs and does all this whilst still providing a luxurious cabin space that is around 50% taller than standard roof top tents. The inside is more like a luxury living space than a sleep space, the extra head room makes a huge difference. There’s 6 windows and doors which make for incredible panoramic views.

We have loads of R1S customers, I’m happy to provide some pics if interested.

Check out the site here https://air-cruiser.cinchpopuptents.com/?utm_campaign=rivian

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

Cheers,

Jake

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
This is my first purchase of a rooftop tent for a vehicle and I am just curious as I like the 23Zero Products, especially their New ARMADILLO X Hard Shell 62' Length - Dimensions Closed (Exterior): 48” (W) x 62” (L) x 14” (H).

Anyways, with the Rivian bed being 54' in length - What would be a suggested rooftop purchase if I wanted to go with something different than their proprietary Yakima Skyrise HD (Closed -58 in L x 49 in W x 17 in H). releasing later in the year.

How much overhang is suggested if a larger tent?

Appreciate the feedback in advance!
In my opinion (as a life-long outdoorsman), roof-top tents are a flawed concept, for most use cases.

Sure, if you regularly camp in poorly drained soils with heavy rains that create standing water, maybe a rooftop tent is worth all the disadvantages vs. a traditional tent erected on the ground. But for most use cases, I think people who camp a lot will be happier with a regular tent that packs up into a couple of bundles that fit in the bed of the truck. With your truck right there, you have plenty of room to pack a nice mattress to reduce ground prep.

One of the big advantages is you can leave your camp setup if you need to use your truck during the day to access a trailhead or bike trail. Or a fishing lake/stream. Or you need to run into the country store, etc. etc. etc.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks
Size.

The fold outs like the skycamp are very quick to setup and take down and fit over the bed.

If you want to go over the bed + or have an R1T, wedge tents are fine.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions 1000002001

Many miles and many nights with a smittybilt overlander. Super happy with it, fits the crossbars well.
Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions 1000002023

Sponsored

AirCruiser

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Elgrand, Polestar
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Hi,

Some comments from a customer with an R1S

'I’ve used a large hard shell rooftop tent for a number of seasons but was forced to leave it on the vehicle year round due to its weight. When I discovered the Air Cruiser’s weight I was cautiously optimistic. This would allow me to remove it off season and not have the wear and tear from taking it everywhere. I was also looking forward to being able to use covered garages again.

When the Air Cruiser arrived, the installation on the vehicle couldn’t be simpler. We were off on our first camping trip with it the next day. While it hadn’t been a factor in my decision to purchase the tent, initially, I underestimated the value of the use of compressed air as the structure for the frame. I ended up finding it so easy to set up and take down the tent that I was able to use the vehicle during the day when with the previous tent I would leave it set up on the vehicle and that was that, a significant compromise with roof top tents. With the Air Cruiser auto-inflating, it gave me more time to do other camp setup tasks.

My kids sleep in the tent while I’m in the vehicle below. They love how tall the interior volume is and how the large sunroof allows for light and visibility. I could barely get them down for breakfast. I like that there are no support rods to hold up canopies, which on my last tent would pop out and damaged the roof more than once. The Air Cruiser compliments my Rivian perfectly.'

Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 11.31.19

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

I have the Roof Nest condor and it is good. Very easy to set up and break down. I like it but if I was buying again I would prob get a soft shell. The hard shell plus the back of the cab closes off two sides and makes it a bit claustrophobic for me. And the hard shell is heavy.
But otherwise, it is a quality tent.

mung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wouldn't a hard shell be better for R1S to not lose too much range due to aerodynamics?

Epzey

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
In my opinion (as a life-long outdoorsman), roof-top tents are a flawed concept, for most use cases.
AFAIK they originated in places where ground sleeping was dangerous and glamping wasn’t a thing. Being a life long LandRover enthusiast it was an exotic concept I always wanted for my Disco. That being said I agree with you outside of Australia and Africa probably a flawed concept.

didn’t stop me though 😂😂😂

The prevalence of them indicates insane margins; the frame & tent combos can’t be much more than 500$ FOB from most factories. Thats why I went with the trustmade tents through Costco. It’s just the factory brand for the US market. 1500

Softops are a no go for me; have PTSD with trifold tents because our off-road trailer(trailblazer I think?) when I was a kid was that way. It was my job to pack up. Often I didn’t fold it correctly for the fiberglass top to go back on.😂

if you leave them completely empty they’re easy if you leave much bedding or anything it takes a little bit longer to do right.

Pics attached are from last year when I first got them mounted on my Range Industries rack.Not a big picture taker.

If you have a Costco membership it’s a good choice with minimal risk if you don’t like it.

Good luck in your search OP!

Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions IMG_2317

Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions IMG_2316

Rivian R1T R1S RoofTop Tent RTT Advice/Suggestions IMG_2318

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

One of the big advantages is you can leave your camp setup if you need to use your truck during the day to access a trailhead or bike trail. Or a fishing lake/stream. Or you need to run into the country store, etc. etc. etc.
This is exactly why I didn't get one. I was about to buy a RTT, had it in the shopping cart and ready to go. Then thought about what a PITA it would be if I have to make a run for food/drinks/supplies, go offroading, etc. Changed my mind, sticking to my regular tent that can be stowed in the gear tunnel.
Sponsored