Screens Blank / Couldn’t Drive

timnagy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I picked my uncle up at Nashville International Airport two days ago, parking in the terminal garage. Coming back to the car I hit the “sound alarm” button on the app just to see where the car was and then hit it again after two seconds to stop the alarm. I popped the lift gate and put bags in the back, got in the car and - screens were totally blank. Climate control was running, I could pause and play music with the left thumb control, and all buttons and app control appeared to be working, but I couldn’t put the vehicle into drive or reverse. Both the infotainment and hard resets did not take effect - holding the buttons didn’t start the reset process. This has never happened to me before.

Called Rivian support and they basically said the only thing to do was to wait 30 minutes and see if a sleep reset fixed it.

We went back in the airport and waited and, when we came back, the displays worked fine and I could drive it.

I'm on 2023.18.00.

Anyone else seen this?

Tim
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I have seen another report of this. What is the build date on your R1S? I'm on the same software version in my R1T and have not had an issue. Mine is a March 23 build.

xnuywkr

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Executive Coach
I posted this on another thread this weekend…

We had this happen to us after 1 day with our T. We did all the resets and the only thing that got the screens on was waiting 30 minutes. In the following week or so, it was happening almost every day.
We took it into the Denver SC and they had it for about 3-4 days and they discovered the cause: all the screens are cooled and we had air bubbles in the system which caused the cooling system to not work properly. Since they weren’t being cooled, the screens were overheating and then shutting down. They bled the system, put in new coolant and no issues since (this was back in October).
Hope this helps…

OP
OP

timnagy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks
I posted this on another thread this weekend…

We had this happen to us after 1 day with our T. We did all the resets and the only thing that got the screens on was waiting 30 minutes. In the following week or so, it was happening almost every day.
We took it into the Denver SC and they had it for about 3-4 days and they discovered the cause: all the screens are cooled and we had air bubbles in the system which caused the cooling system to not work properly. Since they weren’t being cooled, the screens were overheating and then shutting down. They bled the system, put in new coolant and no issues since (this was back in October).
Hope this helps…
Thanks! I read that in another thread. But my understanding was that this situation occurred after the vehicle had been in operation for 30 minutes or so, right? In this case, the vehicle had been parked for about 45 minutes.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Thanks

Thanks! I read that in another thread. But my understanding was that this situation occurred after the vehicle had been in operation for 30 minutes or so, right? In this case, the vehicle had been parked for about 45 minutes.
I was surprised to learn the screens are cooled. While I don't know much about the system that cools the screens I suspect there is a temperature sensor. So if the cooling system is the cause I would suspect either a coolant circulation issue or an issue with the temperature sensor.
Sponsored