Sponsored

Does anyone else have a problem withInfo Screens turning off while driving?

nancy94024

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mercedes EQE, Mercedes ML4009
Clubs

My R1S has almost 7,500 miles on it, and I received it in October. About three weeks after I got it the info screens turned off one day. Rivian support walked me through the reboot. Now it happens all the time to me. Three days ago they reset themselves six times while I was driving, which was unnerving because I was on Hwy17 in Santa Cruz county during a heavy rain storm. It's also happened in the dark on Hwy 80 and at other times--enough to be scary. Yesterday they did five resets on a 90 mile drive.
Rivian Support says they have never heard of this problem. I have an appointment for someone to look at in in April Wondering if it's only my car? Or do other people experience this? It's generally when the car has been running for an hour or longer.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have had times when they went off an rebooted in the middle of a drive. Maybe twice, but hasn't happened in probably a year.

I still have a lot of lag with my screens - especially when switching menus and after coming out of a tunnel going from dark mode back to light mode.

If it's rebooting fully while driving, take it in.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This has never happened to me but others have had the same issue you describe.

muneebk

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I only have about 1700 miles on my R1T but driving last week for about a 45 minute highway drive I did have the system spontaneously reboot on me. I had nav and spotify active at the time. Its only happened once on me so far though.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Mine has rebooted twice while driving in 11 months and 18k miles. The frequency of reboots you describe is not normal. Schedule a service appointment and document the problem in the ticket.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Nope.

thehodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MS Raven
My R1T (dual motor max pack) screens fade to black several times a day.
Sometimes near home, sometimes it starts blanking several miles away.
I've 3700 miles on it since I picked it up in Sacramento, October 2023.

Sometimes I'll park & reset the software, sometimes I'll mash down on the buttons while I'm driving. If I take no action & leave it alone it'll reset itself within 5 to 8 minutes. That's the same response time in all situations. So far. So far, it self-resets & we keep on truckin'.

It probably started before Thanksgiving.
I sent a note to the Sacramento service center & asked for the service truck to stop by for Triage the next time they were in the area. They didn't want to do that & asked me to bring it in. I didn't want to give it up for an unknown amount of time & told 'em I'd check back by next April or so.

I hope I guess I better get around to it before I head up highway 17 with my chunky AT tires.

Thanks for the reminder Nancy9!

xnuywkr

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Executive Coach
I had this happen with my R1T after receiving it. Took it in to the Denver SC and they said there were air bubbles in the coolant system for the screens. They bled the system, put in new coolant and no problem since. That was 17 months ago.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nancy94024

nancy94024

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mercedes EQE, Mercedes ML4009
Clubs

They bled my coolant system in December. The problem did stop for a week or two; but it was not a fix. I should also add that the starter battery (the one in the frunk) died in November. We’ve been wondering if that could have been related. Now I’m suspecting the coolant and the battery system may have been affected by whatever is causing the screen resets

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I had this happen once in December at about 1500 miles. I had a SC appointment for a non-related item later that same week. I mentioned it to them and two other owners waiting for their vehicles also reported the same occurrence.

The SC did a "full scan" on all three vehicles and couldn't find anything. Fortunately, it hasn't happened since that one time.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Yes, this happened to me just a few days ago. I was driving along and suddenly the radio shut off then all screens went blank. The speed indicator blinked and came up first, but the rest of the driver screen was white with the Rivian logo outline. The entertainment screen was black and stayed that way for a minute. Then things started coming back up slowly.

I was worried the vehicle died, but pedal/brake inputs seemed fine, along with the turn signal… so I kept going in the right lane expecting to pull over if needed… but made it home and screens came back to normal by then. Lasted maybe 5 minutes in all, but was disconcerting to happen mid-drive. It sure looked like the screens/system was doing some kind of reboot involuntary

InTheMatrix

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Self employed
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Does anyone else have a problem withInfo Screens turning off while driving? IMG_2229
My screen that’s behind the steering wheel flickers. Sometimes it’s bad sometimes it’s not. Did many resets and hard resets and still
Comes back. Get this message twice:

“Auto brightness not working service vehicle soon”

I’ve had my R1S only a couple months so I’m just waiting to see if any other issues pop up before I schedule my service appt.
Sponsored