Secondary 12v or Capacitor (jump start)

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Currently trying to jumpstart the 12v system on my R1T, no issues hooking up to the primary battery but after a few hours and no luck I want to try the secondary. After opening the frunk compartment I see the following, with no clearly marked negative side indicator. I also saw another thread with a video where a similar looking unit was claimed to be a capacitor (not a battery)… so, my question is (1) is this a capacitor or a secondary 12v?, and (2) if it’s a secondary 12v, where is the negative terminal to hookup jumper?

here’s a pic of my system:
Rivian R1T R1S Secondary 12v or Capacitor (jump start) 1719794350150-pd
Sponsored

Riv E In

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S DM
Clubs

If the left unit's passenger-side terminal is black (negative), then it is an earlier build with dual 12V batteries. If it instead has a red (positive) connection there, then it is a newer build with a single 12V battery (capacitor on the left, 12V battery on the right / driver's side).

Yours appears to be the latter.

OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
If the left unit's passenger-side terminal is black (negative), then it is an earlier build with dual 12V batteries. If it instead has a red (positive) connection there, then it is a newer build with a single 12V battery (capacitor on the left, 12V battery on the right / driver's side).

Yours appears to be the latter.
Thanks. So besides jump the primary is there anything else that can be done to bring it back to life?

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
What is the voltage on the battery currently? Be very careful poking around with the low voltage system if you're not 100% confident and haven't fully diagnosed the issue.

OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
What is the voltage on the battery currently? Be very careful poking around with the low voltage system if you're not 100% confident and haven't fully diagnosed the issue.
Voltage on the capacitor side was about 3.5v when I checked it a few hours ago. I did not check the primary battery (drivers side).

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
And how were you hooked up to the primary battery? You mentioned you were trying to jump it for a few hours, I'm assuming you used jumper cables to another 12V battery? If you've been connected to another healthy 12V for a few hours, and it's still reading 3.5V, your battery has most likely gone bad and is unrecoverable.

OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
And how were you hooked up to the primary battery? You mentioned you were trying to jump it for a few hours, I'm assuming you used jumper cables to another 12V battery? If you've been connected to another healthy 12V for a few hours, and it's still reading 3.5V, your battery has most likely gone bad and is unrecoverable.
It’s a Schumacher portable jumper (see pic)… it’s on the 30A setting, and after a bit of fluctuations between 3-5v, tends to resolve on 12v as shown in the image… so, this seems to indicate that it’s charged but idk I just bought the Schumacher system today.
Rivian R1T R1S Secondary 12v or Capacitor (jump start) 1719798736424-5m

BullNBear

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024
Last edited:
OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
You may need to charge the battery directly if its not working from that hitch connection. Take care if you're going to do this yourself. This is the old two battery page, if you have the newer single battery you will be looking for a page like this in the manual but with the single battery. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-jump-start-process-update-from-rivian.17701/
Yep thanks, in case anybody else ends up in a similar boat - mine is a 2023 R1T with the single 12v battery and per the tech who came to swap it out, the hitch access here will only get you part of the way (ie into the cabin/hood) and that you actually need to jump the 12v directly on the drivers side under the hood, it cannot be done via the hitch access.
Sponsored