Shipping time estimates from Normal?

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
Somebody should give you an update on this. Doesn't seem right. Maybe they have some different shipping process for the R1S?
My guide is awesome and very responsive, he gives me an update every 2 days. As of Friday evening it was still "factory gated". Still waiting for an update this morning to see if anything changed over the weekend. I also stopped by my local SC (it is by my office) and they were super helpful, confirmed it was still factory gated but the system did show a ETA to the SC of 6/28, which was just an indicator that it was at least headed to my SC. They didn't see any info on scheduled transport info other than "truck", so the ETA wasn't really an indication of a plan to get it to the SC on that date (he said it is normally sooner and will update once on a truck.)
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
About 3 weeks.
Since I am just sitting around waiting for my R1S to ship... below is what I came up with as a possibility on what is going on.

1) for those "I picked it from the Store and it was on a truck in 48 hours:" people pick a VIN when it first shows up in the shop (possible the vehicle is rolling down the assembly line when it pops up in the Shop. If the factory knows where it is going when it rolls out of the factory door, then it gets moved directly over to the appropriate shipping holding area for that SC and heads off rather quickly (a day or two). They know the vehical is fully ready/updated because it was just built.

2) if a vehicle rolls out of the factory door without being "sold", then it ends up in the holding lot with hundreds of other vehicals. (mine is 1009x.. so recent, but I selected it in the ship on May 26th, it should have been built a few weeks before I selected it because there were 11xxx's available the same day I grabbed mine) So now it is sitting in a holding lot and then it gets selected in the Shop. It takes some time for Rivian to get shipping scheduled, then they need to pull it from the holding lot (could take some time), make sure it is fully updated (any new software released since it was built), do a once over for damage, etc , then send it over to the shipping queue. And if there are a lot of vehicles waiting for this process... well... then it might be a long wait till they get to yours. The other possibility is that it is sitting in a queue to get rework/repairs, etc due to a manufacturing flaw... again, that would take time if there is a long list of vehicles needing work.

Regardless. I will just sit around thinking about my R1S. I just want to get to the place where I know it is headed my direction. Once it is on its way, then it the wait will be a little bit easier. Waiting and knowing that we aren't making any progress towards delivery day (when we are so close) is painful.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Regardless. I will just sit around thinking about my R1S. I just want to get to the place where I know it is headed my direction. Once it is on its way, then it the wait will be a little bit easier. Waiting and knowing that we aren't making any progress towards delivery day (when we are so close) is painful.
Totally get it. We're impatiently waiting for ours to get to the SC and through PDI. Almost at 7 weeks.

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
Since I am just sitting around waiting for my R1S to ship... below is what I came up with as a possibility on what is going on.

1) for those "I picked it from the Store and it was on a truck in 48 hours:" people pick a VIN when it first shows up in the shop (possible the vehicle is rolling down the assembly line when it pops up in the Shop. If the factory knows where it is going when it rolls out of the factory door, then it gets moved directly over to the appropriate shipping holding area for that SC and heads off rather quickly (a day or two). They know the vehical is fully ready/updated because it was just built.

2) if a vehicle rolls out of the factory door without being "sold", then it ends up in the holding lot with hundreds of other vehicals. (mine is 1009x.. so recent, but I selected it in the ship on May 26th, it should have been built a few weeks before I selected it because there were 11xxx's available the same day I grabbed mine) So now it is sitting in a holding lot and then it gets selected in the Shop. It takes some time for Rivian to get shipping scheduled, then they need to pull it from the holding lot (could take some time), make sure it is fully updated (any new software released since it was built), do a once over for damage, etc , then send it over to the shipping queue. And if there are a lot of vehicles waiting for this process... well... then it might be a long wait till they get to yours. The other possibility is that it is sitting in a queue to get rework/repairs, etc due to a manufacturing flaw... again, that would take time if there is a long list of vehicles needing work.

Definitely some different things going on. After waiting well over two years, things are moving so quickly that Rivian is literally waiting on me! VIN assigned from the shop 5/31. My R1S was in Normal on that date last week, but is already at the Austin SC as of the weekend and will be ready for delivery this week. I have to shuffle some money around, so I am slowing things down... wasn't prepared for this!

Sponsored

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Definitely some different things going on. After waiting well over two years, things are moving so quickly that Rivian is literally waiting on me! VIN assigned from the shop 5/31. My R1S was in Normal on that date last week, but is already at the Austin SC as of the weekend and will be ready for delivery this week. I have to shuffle some money around, so I am slowing things down... wasn't prepared for this!
I think RJ needs the quarterly delivery numbers to look good... so rhey are going all in for the next few weeks. I just wish mine was getting the same treatment!!

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guide is awesome and very responsive, he gives me an update every 2 days. As of Friday evening it was still "factory gated". Still waiting for an update this morning to see if anything changed over the weekend. I also stopped by my local SC (it is by my office) and they were super helpful, confirmed it was still factory gated but the system did show a ETA to the SC of 6/28, which was just an indicator that it was at least headed to my SC. They didn't see any info on scheduled transport info other than "truck", so the ETA wasn't really an indication of a plan to get it to the SC on that date (he said it is normally sooner and will update once on a truck.)
Today's update was.... "factory gated" :-/. Somewhat concerned that my R1S is in need of work at the factory before it can pass inspection. Nothing I can do but wait.

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am about to give up on my VIN and decouple... start the search for a new one. My VIN remains "factory gated" which means It didn't pass quality control, needs more work, failed a test, something isn't right and therefore can't be released from the factory. I don't want to start off with an R1S that has issues... even if they try to repair it before shipping. I am trying to find out exactly what is wrong with the car so that I can make my decision. At this point.. I think I would get faster delivery if I decouple and pick a new VIN in the shop. So, to net it out for this thread... my experience of picking a VIN from the shop and then having it sit with no movement is clearly not the norm. If yours is sitting in Normal in a "factory gated" state... then it means it did not pass quality control, needs parts, paint, reworked, drivetrain issues, etc. Something big enough to warrant holding the car and putting it in the back lot till someone can get around to figuring out what to do with it. :-/

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I ordered an R1S from the shop on May 8.
On May 16 I got an email saying my R1S was "ready to leave the factory".
On May 19 I got an identical email saying my R1S was "ready to leave the factory".
On June 5 I got a text from my local (Bellevue, WA) service center saying they have the R1S, and I can pick it up as early as Thursday. I was right at 30 days from my trade-in quote, so I needed to check with my guide to see if it was still valid before scheduling a pickup time. He said it was still valid.
On June 6 the service center said they are booked on Thu and Fri, but I can pick it up on June 10.
Later on June 6 my guide said that appointments are still available, so I will pick it up on June 8.

EDIT ON JUNE 8: R1S is here!

Rivian R1T R1S Shipping time estimates from Normal? PXL_20230608_215617624

Last edited:

kilik49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Kia EV6, Lincoln Navigator
5/17: Selected R1S from R1 Shop. Was told it was at the factory in Normal
6/7 : I got the email today to schedule delivery appointment (Miami, FL SC). Pickup Appointment confirmed for 6/9

Sponsored

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

On May 16 I got an email saying my R1S was "ready to leave the factory".
On May 19 I got an identical email saying my R1S was "ready to leave the factory".
On June 5 I got a text from my local (Bellevue, WA) service center saying they have the R1S, and I can pick it up as early as Thursday. I was right at 30 days from my trade-in quote, so I needed to check with my guide to see if it was still valid before scheduling a pickup time. He said it was still valid.
On June 6 the service center said they are booked on Thu and Fri, but I can pick it up on June 10.
Later on June 6 my guide said that appointments are still available, so I will pick it up on June 8.
We'll see!
Same EXACT timeline for me as well...except that my R1S is now in SoCal (Costa Mesa). So it took about 29 days from selection in the Shop on 5/8/23, to the day that it arrived at the Costa Mesa SC...coming from Normal, IL. SC actually competed PDI on it the same day that it arrived (6/5/23). I pick it up this Friday, June 9th!

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No progress on my R1S. Picked it from the Shop 2 weeks ago... and it has not moved. Never received the "your R1S is ready to leave the factory"... it is just sitting there (unfinished?) in a "factory gated" state. :-/. Just bad luck I guess.... picked the wrong VIN. By the time I finally get it (if I do) my 1009x vin number will seem like an old unit compared to what is shipping.

tjp74

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MB AMG C43 Conv, 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Boeing
I see that you reserved yours on on 9/2021, exactly same month as I did. You are at Redmond, I am at Mill Cree WA. What was your most recent delivery estimate? My most recent estimate was Q4 2023 and received the confirm config email last Wednesday. It seems you've got yours a month ahead. Did you have a Q4 estimate before? Did you ever changed your config since Rivian started doing the quaterly estimate update?

BTW I also picked up a LE from the shop... LG/FE with 20 AT. Just like yours.

tjp74

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MB AMG C43 Conv, 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Boeing
I reached out to them via phone. The CS rep said he would put in a request for shop access but couldn’t guarantee anything. On day 7 after the request I logged in and noticed I had access. From there I was able to secure one that I liked within a couple days.
Did you just reach out to the CS rep out of blue? Meaning no email invite to confirm your config or anything? I am wondering if I missed anything... when I inquire about shop access last month, I was told, "when it's your turn"... so waited untill I've received the "time to confirm your configuration" email. Reached out to the Guide and he promptly submitted the request and I was in the shop within hours.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Did you just reach out to the CS rep out of blue? Meaning no email invite to confirm your config or anything? I am wondering if I missed anything... when I inquire about shop access last month, I was told, "when it's your turn"... so waited untill I've received the "time to confirm your configuration" email. Reached out to the Guide and he promptly submitted the request and I was in the shop within hours.
Correct, I just called out of the blue and spoke to the CS rep. We talked a bit and I shared how excited I was and just told him that I’m very open to other configurations if given the opportunity to get access to the shop.

Around the time I got shop access I was also assigned a guide and told to confirm my current configuration. I did all of that and ended up finding the R1S in launch edition. Only for it to show up the way it did and I had to be unmatched. Got shop access again for a second time and now I’m just waiting for delivery. The vehicle I found this past Wednesday is also an LE and it’s already on its way to the Houston SC. I hope to pick it up this coming week.
Sponsored