Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sure sounds like they were deserving of a poor review and bad on you for removing it. Dealers, especially used car dealers, are awful and will *always* go back on anything they've said to get you in the door. At least you walked instead of playing their game.

As for the wipers/washer, the left stalk button only works when the truck is in the "Ready" state...i.e. you've pressed the brake pedal after getting in. Tap once for a wipe and hold down for the washer spray.

The gear tunnel doors only open a tiny amount when the latch releases and you have to pull it open. You only have a few seconds before you have to hit the button again.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikebike97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, Leaf
Occupation
Qa
Clubs

Sure sounds like they were deserving of a poor review and bad on you for removing it. Dealers, especially used car dealers, are awful and will *always* go back on anything they've said to get you in the door. At least you walked instead of playing their game.

As for the wipers/washer, the left stalk button only works when the truck is in the "Ready" state...i.e. you've pressed the brake pedal after getting in. Tap once for a wipe and hold down for the washer spray.

The gear tunnel doors only open a tiny amount when the latch releases and you have to pull it open. You only have a few seconds before you have to hit the button again.
Thank you that helps

OP
OP

Mikebike97

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, Leaf
Occupation
Qa
Clubs

1. Most people I have read about that needed to clean that gap used the air compressor, but if a garden can be started there I would let it go and see if I can harvest some heirloom tomatoes.

2. If the dealer is that crappy and didn't care if the truck was clean or charged, they likely did not care if the washer fluid was full. It was probably just empty.

3. Some people have reported panel gaps from the factory, and in many cases Rivian service was able to fix them.

4. You should put your review back up to warn as many people as possible about that sleazy place. Then don't answer the phone when they call you. They wasted your time TWICE. Any business that operates that way deserves all the bad reviews they get.
If nothing else I’m a man of my word and agreed to take it down. To me it was a good learning experience for my son.
I was surprised that dirt could easily get into that gap.
Maybe a redwood is growing there.
All in all, the video was pretty entertaining. So I suggest anyone selling their truck to check that type of videos are removed.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

The business surely appreciates you taking the review down more than the next potential customer. Best to let the next customer deal with the problems if they come up, heck, they may not even notice a price hike unless they read the paper work.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Put the original review back up, and add a follow-up from your second visit: the dealership and their antics deserve nothing less. Sorry for your troubles—as a very happy R1T owner, I hope you find the perfect truck soon so the buying process can come to a close and the driving/enjoying process can commence. Good luck.
I agree! Put that review back up! I honestly wouldn’t have taken it down.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I am sorry, that car salesman and his manager are tools. You don't need Lowjack with this vehicle because unless someone is a computer genius and somehow hotwires the car or gets your FOB or Key card, they won't be able to drive it.

If they did get all that stuff, you can use the app to find out where the truck is. They were trying to upsell you or they had no clue as to the capabilities of the truck....my guess.....BOTH!.

The washing of the truck....eh, that wouldn't bother me as much because trucks sit outside and will get dirty, but the inside not being clean would be a problem....more out of courtesy than anything else. As far as the gaps.....that is a problem and Rivian should have fixed it and with it being a used vehicle, they probably wouldn't honor the warranty....I don't know for sure.

You did the right thing and walked away.....twice. As others have said, I would put the review back up....maybe tone it down a bit, but others need to know.....this is how the car dealer will improve their service. Also, bribing you initially to "take the review" down is wrong, if anything they should have said, "I see you gave us a not-so-good review, what can we do to change your mind?". Maybe they would have to take a hit on the price.

Best of luck.....don't give up on the Rivians.....great car!

Nucks

First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I finally decide to buy a Used Rivian R1T.

I found a used R1T at a dealership in the southbay. The truck has ~3000 miles, 2023 model. I had set up the appointment 4 days in advance. The drive to the dealership was 1.5 hrs. When my son and I arrived the Truck was filthy and only had 49 miles of charge. I asked that it be washed, he said no, could not be washed. REALLY?

Then, as walked around the truck, the used car salesman’s opened the tunnel and it only opened a ¼ inch. I said this is serious problem. We went to the other side and tried that side and at first it would not open. I said this is a problem.

He then said thank you very much , good bye. So we drove home. My son was shocked that the person did not even offer to look into the matter, and showed us a filthy Truck on the exterior and food wrappers and straws on the interior.

To me it was a good experience for him to have in Car shopping.

CarGurus asked me to do a review of my experience, so I did.

I quickly got a call from the used car saleman’s complaining to me that this impacted him significantly and his manager was quite irritate, with him. He asked that the manager speak with me. I said sure

I asked him if he felt anything I said was wrong. He admitted I was right and asked me to reconsider and give him a second chance and please take the posting down. I agreed since it was the Christian thing to do.

So, Stupid me, I went back myself. Yes, the Truck was barely washed and now had 190 miles of charge.

I had planned to buy the truck in-spite of the issues below .

I sat with the Used car saleman(s) for an hour. We had agreed on a priced in advance of my coming down.

I should have known better, I’m staring at the total price and it is ~5k above the price we agreed. I went through the numbers he had presented me with, and it was a much higher total price. I feel bad for people who do not spend the time going through each and every number. They buried this addition costs in the purchase agreement. He said there was additional $2990 for paint treatment and Lowjack. And then tried to quote me an older higher price.

So, then I said this is my offer, which we agreed to in advance. He then played the usual games of well we are not a car museum, though the truck had been there for now 2.6 months.

The manager then came in and said this is our “Best selling Used Car” and your price is well below what they paid for it.

As a side bar for all people who have read this far… If you call DMV in California, you can find out the price the dealer paid. It’s a bit of work, but you can get this information.

Needless to say, I drove home 1.5 hrs without the Rivian.

I was quite disappointed. I guess he thought he could easily sell the truck.

Oh and by the way, Tim if you read this and you are from Santa Cruz area, you may want to remove the incriminating Video of your driving antics. I will say it was quite entertaining to watch with the used car saleman.

I found a few things I have to asked this group about.

1. The section gap between the tailgate and the bed, when the tailgate is open I noticed a lot of dirt and I swore I saw some seedlings growing down there by the cables. I know Rivian is ecologically concerned, and the original owner was from Santa Cruz area, but... How do you clean this? Or do I wait till the plants fully bloom. But really…There is no way a vacuum can collect the rocks and dirt. I would worry about using a high pressure hose or air.
  2. The windshield washer did not work. I did press the side button on the left and nothing happened. I also tried to turn the wipers off and press the side button and nothing happened. No washer fluid or single wiper movement. Was I doing something wrong?
  3. The Body panels certainly have weird gaps. Some gaps at the top and very narrow as it goes the doors, in Frunk and Charging hatch. Is this normal? Thanks
I find Auto Trader and Private Auto the best for used cars. I can talk to the original owner and the paperwork and transfer of money is handled through them.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Interesting as I have heard this scam paint protection and LoJack added to increase pricing from a few potential buyers in Illinois. Next time anyone runs across this BS may want to ask why would you install LoJack on a vehicle that constantly broadcasts its location to Rivian and my App automatically

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Some additional info if you want to visually verify LoJack has been installed in your vehicle. And also apparently the LoJack module needs to be able to pull 12 volt power 24/7 so not good for EV’s and the battery drain concerns

Look at the registration. Search for a small yellow sticker that says "LJK'' or "LoJack" in black letters on the registration that should be visible when you open your glove compartment. You can also look for it on a label next to the VIN on your car's door jamb, usually covered by a removable plastic cover
Sponsored