First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750
Occupation
Retired
So I test drove a R1T in Chicago and liked it so I went ahead and placed an order for a fully loaded R1T EV Truck in January. Then I get a form letter email basically saying “hey we ain’t building your $100K truck” and if you want one you can find one from our existing inventory.

What kind of company does this? Nobody has reached out to me explaining the situation or giving me options - just a form email. I know most of the people on this forum are all in on Rivian but this is a really bad experience for new customers - I am going to bail and try and get my $1K down payment back as it just seems like this company can not be long for this world with this commercial ineptitude? thoughts
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

A company that shuts down its production line for upgrades/efficiencies?

If you really wanted a truck why didn't you configure after you ordered?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian is pausing custom builds until late summer because they are re-tooling the plant. A lot of rumours around what's coming or going from vehicles in this time period.

If you can't find what you want out of the shop, you'll have to wait until late summer to get one built for you. Think of it like all the allocations for this model year are already called for if you are buying from a legacy auto company.

Oh and welcome to the forum I guess. 🙄

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Please share the letter. It sounds like you are grossly misrepresenting what it says.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So I test drove a R1T in Chicago and liked it so I went ahead and placed an order for a fully loaded R1T EV Truck in January. Then I get a form letter email basically saying “hey we ain’t building your $100K truck” and if you want one you can find one from our existing inventory.

What kind of company does this? Nobody has reached out to me explaining the situation or giving me options - just a form email. I know most of the people on this forum are all in on Rivian but this is a really bad experience for new customers - I am going to bail and try and get my $1K down payment back as it just seems like this company can not be long for this world with this commercial ineptitude? thoughts
What would you prefer?

A Rivian R1T that doesn't have the newest stuff on it after the refresh
A Rivian R1T that does have the latest stuff on it made after the refresh

Sure we don't know what changes will be made and suspect that some of them could take things away from the vehicle.

All we know is the plant is shutdown for retooling and orders will have to wait.

If it was me I'd probably just wait to see what's in the refresh.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get the $1K reservation back. Obviously they didn't start your build.

Position on Rivian -> Just one toe in.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

A company that shuts down its production line for upgrades/efficiencies?

If you really wanted a truck why didn't you configure after you ordered?
Rivian R1T R1S So what is up with this company? 1000009394

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

....What kind of company does this? One that is thinking of putting you into the best possible vehicle with an impending plant shutdown, so you have the option for the latest and greatest?

.......I am going to bail and try and get my $1K down payment back as it just seems like this company can not be long for this world with this commercial ineptitude? Say the man with a 750 Series BMW.....
We're all just having fun with you. Cutting edge online start-ups, with a fresh new vision, deliverables that rate them the "Highest Brand Loyalty" in the world, and the only company to achieve that within a few years of production, are not for everyone. They are for a select few of risk taking visionaries, like those you see posting here ;)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Q: What kind of company does this?
A: A company that is trying to be honest and transparent in telling you they can't do a custom build in the near future. A company that is shutting the factory down for efficiency and profitability improvements.

If you feel that is a bad experience, move on to another manufacturer for one of these "good" experiences:
- Tesla, who routinely has dropped prices putting people underwater $5000 - $7000 just days after they bought a car.
- Chevrolet, whose CEO said in 2021 that they would surpass Tesla in deliveries by 2025, and has repeatedly failed on delivery promises since then. I still have a day one Silverado EV reservation, after over a year, last week I finally got some communication from Chevrolet telling me I could reserve either black or white with no firm timeline, or I could wait for another color with an even less firm estimate of an unknown timeline, lol. And I got that email on Thursday March 21, with the email stating that (after waiting for years) I had to decide what I was doing by Thursday March 20. March 20 was Wednesday, not Thursday, lol. So I had to decide the before, or the day I got the email. Really?
- Hyunda/Kia who has class action lawsuits regarding EV failures and misleading advertising.

Rivian R1T R1S So what is up with this company? 1711418824097-b9

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
I still have a day one Silverado EV reservation, after over a year, last week I finally got some communication from Chevrolet telling me I could reserve either black or white with no firm timeline, or I could wait for another color with an even less firm estimate of an unknown timeline, lol. And I got that email on Thursday March 21, with the email stating that (after waiting for years) I had to decide what I was doing by Thursday March 20. March 20 was Wednesday, not Thursday, lol. So I had to decide the before, or the day I got the email. Really?
Was that for the First Edition/RST whatever it is that's $100k+? I too have a reservation, but I didn't reserve the high trim one, and it's been crickets on communication (and yes, it has been over 2 years...reservations opened in Jan 2022).

Sponsored

rbrak29

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I still have a day one Silverado EV reservation, after over a year, last week I finally got some communication from Chevrolet telling me I could reserve either black or white with no firm timeline, or I could wait for another color with an even less firm estimate of an unknown timeline, lol. And I got that email on Thursday March 21, with the email stating that (after waiting for years) I had to decide what I was doing by Thursday March 20. March 20 was Wednesday, not Thursday, lol. So I had to decide the before, or the day I got the email. Really?
I received an email on March 11th stating that I should contact the dealer I specified in my RST First Edition reservation to order the RST First Edition with free 19.2 kW charger as a gift. Received an email today 3/25 that Friday 3/29 is the last day to order.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Was that for the First Edition/RST whatever it is that's $100k+? I too have a reservation, but I didn't reserve the high trim one, and it's been crickets on communication (and yes, it has been over 2 years...reservations opened in Jan 2022).
Yes, it was the Silverado EV RST FIrst Edition.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I am going to bail and try and get my $1K down payment back as it just seems like this company can not be long for this world with this commercial ineptitude? thoughts
I think it's a good idea. If you're not happy, then get your money back.

Disclaimer: This poster is not a lawyer, so please don't take his advice as legal services unless there's a settlement in favor of the reader. In this instance, a 33% fee will be added to the bill payable immediately.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

We're off topic, but I got the call on Friday from the owner of the dealer I reserved the RST and got the White or Black only and that it would be built according to my spec, as the first deliveries for each dealer (whatever that means) don't count against their alotment.....I can't justify the cost of the RST.....as a side note, I had no idea where I was on the list at this large dealer, and he said, you are No. 1. I always thought I was ;)

Back to topic....

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Two opportunities here. First, while I am "all in" on Rivian I am not going to sugar coat anything when Rivian needs to do better.

With that said this email, without seeing it, sounds like its related to the shutdown for retooling that's been planned for a while now. This is good for you as a potential R1T owner in two ways:

1) If you want to save some $$$ you can pickup one from inventory or lease one if that's your thing. I hear they are adding some extra incentive like wheel upgrades (I haven't confirmed this though) for inventory trucks.

2) If you want to wait, you will have one of the newest models which has fewer ECU and less wiring as well as other improvements. While many of these improvements are designed to simplify production and reduce cost for Rivian they two above, IMO, will also do good for long term reliability as well.

So I challenge you to look at this as an opportunity vs "hey we ain't buildin' that there truck fer ya" :)
Sponsored