Sponsored

So what is up with this company?

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I think you guys are being unreasonable. Not everyone is a fanboy/girl reading auto forums like us and they could’ve communicated this better to customers that have placed and locked in orders. The guy ordered a custom truck then Rivian said sorry we didn’t get to it before we shut down the line didn’t call to apologize.

This IS how it goes with startups though. Rivian is actually one of the better ones. My experience with their customer reps was phenomenal.

Asheville, The R1T is an awesome truck and I’d encourage you to wait out the shutdown and reorder your truck (prob a month out). Hopefully you’re near the top of the list since you ordered months ago but I can’t say how that will work.
You have to have some sense of knowledge with how things go when you buy from a start up. He was expecting German Luxury type service from an OEM dealer. We've seen that multiple times from a certain group of people.
Sponsored

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I think you guys are being unreasonable. Not everyone is a fanboy/girl reading auto forums like us and they could’ve communicated this better to customers that have placed and locked in orders. The guy ordered a custom truck then Rivian said sorry we didn’t get to it before we shut down the line didn’t call to apologize.
I think it IS reasonable to recommend a different brand to the OP.
There are type of buyers who will NOT be happy with the current Rivian situation.

Will be unhappy with the buying process, then will be unhappy about SC situation, then will be unhappy about other stuff and keep comparing it to traditional OEM business.

In my opinion "normal" people with "normal" tolerance level (or the recently trending entitled buyers for that matter) will NOT be happy with current Rivian.
Therefore it IS reasonable to recommend to avoid future unhappiness :)
At least that is how I read the comments in this thread.

OP
OP

Asheville

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750
Occupation
Retired
I agree with poster above that I should find another option if this is the type of communication / service I should expect from Rivian going forward, which it sounds like based on many of your responses is the case. I don’t think I should have to troll Rivian forums looking for information on why my order was cancelled and what to do next, whether it is a start up or not. I have sent 3 separate emails asking for information and have gotten no response. Obviously I like the RT1 enough to place an order and think it is awesome vehicle - but you also to have to live with the service and support of that vehicle and based on what I am hearing they are a start up and that is not their forte. Maybe in a couple of years it will be better once they are through the growing pains.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Prior to my Rivian experience, I’d say buying a car was about the same as a 2 liter Golytely colonoscopy prep that you had to drink in one session.

Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I was actually being serious. Sorry

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So what was the original email that caused all this angst? Pretty sure we are all still curious at how you interpreted it this badly.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I agree with poster above that I should find another option if this is the type of communication / service I should expect from Rivian going forward, which it sounds like based on many of your responses is the case. I don’t think I should have to troll Rivian forums looking for information on why my order was cancelled and what to do next, whether it is a start up or not. I have sent 3 separate emails asking for information and have gotten no response. Obviously I like the RT1 enough to place an order and think it is awesome vehicle - but you also to have to live with the service and support of that vehicle and based on what I am hearing they are a start up and that is not their forte. Maybe in a couple of years it will be better once they are through the growing pains.
Yeah it’s very inconsistent it seems. Some people complain that getting responses is like pulling teeth and they grow very frustrated while others have great communication. I worked with 3 people (one before being assigned a VIN, one after, and a delivery person) and they were all great and responded to me within minutes sometimes via text and email. So I really don’t know.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have sent 3 separate emails asking for information and have gotten no response.
Did you try a phone call? Where did you send the email, if generic CS they seem pretty busy these days.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Did you try a phone call? Where did you send the email, if generic CS they seem pretty busy these days.
I have found that calling is the absolute best way to have a good interaction. I've never had an issue with getting someone on the phone when calling and they are always polite and helpful. Its obviously easier to lob an email or 2, but I highly recommend trying to call them.
Sponsored