Sponsored

So what is up with this company?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I agree with poster above that I should find another option if this is the type of communication / service I should expect from Rivian going forward, which it sounds like based on many of your responses is the case. I don’t think I should have to troll Rivian forums looking for information on why my order was cancelled and what to do next, whether it is a start up or not. I have sent 3 separate emails asking for information and have gotten no response. Obviously I like the RT1 enough to place an order and think it is awesome vehicle - but you also to have to live with the service and support of that vehicle and based on what I am hearing they are a start up and that is not their forte. Maybe in a couple of years it will be better once they are through the growing pains.
You should be able to get a vehicle close to what you want this summer. A part of your decision should be distance to service center.

Rivian doesn't have the staff to to execute well on the one off event of plant shutdown and a model change. If you had ordered three month earlier you would of had a more normal experience.
Sponsored

Pacblue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Agree. Of course I waited almost 4 years, many delays, etc. But minus those serious start-up issues, the buying experience was so much better than a traditional dealership once it actually started - online, guide, pick-up, customizations, etc.

Again, I waited four years, some folks, like this person won't wait 6 months. All good. Start-up companies customers need to understand that it will be less streamlined process. Sounds like Rivian is not for this guy, or maybe in a bit when they get their systems a little more in place.

Rivian does have a communication problem, and that is where the no dealership model is an issue. We'll see if they can improve it as they scale...

Not having to deal with dealerships is one of the best parts of owning a Rivian.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Try to get Toyota to build you a Supra. Ain't happening. They'll tell you to find a dealer that has an allocation and buy whatever color/options/features they have on a vehicle eventually being shipped to the dealership. People can't even get the color they want unless they get lucky.
Yup had to put a deposit down on an incoming one at a dealer 3 states over to get the exact combo my wife wanted for a Supra

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Try to get Toyota to build you a Supra. Ain't happening. They'll tell you to find a dealer that has an allocation and buy whatever color/options/features they have on a vehicle eventually being shipped to the dealership. People can't even get the color they want unless they get lucky.
It's not a Supra, it's a BMW with a Toyota steering wheel. I would know......

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
We can agree to disagree. The irony of course is the similar front end/hood lines between the old 840/850 series and the MKiii Supra.
Sorry, but there are exactly zero BMWs that share any real resemblance to the MKV Supra. It's Toyota's sheetmetal design all the way. The Z4 obviously shares the same chassis and it could never be mistaken for a Supra, except maybe by a blind man.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

So I test drove a R1T in Chicago and liked it so I went ahead and placed an order for a fully loaded R1T EV Truck in January.
What do you mean by "fully loaded"? There aren't many options you can add to the R1T. You can get a QUAD or Dual, different size tires, and a tonneau cover. All the accessories can be bought from Rivian or 3rd party.

When we configured ours (last March) we had 2 options........color and tire/wheel size. We got the manual tonneau cover.

Personally, if you aren't interested in what the refresh will be late this year, then maybe it is best you request for your $1,000 back. Like you said, it is a great truck, but it isn't available and won't be built at this point. Sometimes the "form" email is a little cold, but I would call the guide and talk with them and get more information.

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
With all the talk of truck demand decelerating even faster than SUV demand, I'm surprised OP can't just find his build in the shop to begin with. From my experience, there were always more of the fully loaded (quad or max) in the shop than the DM/Large builds I was looking for until I got lucky one day...

If Rivian's been able to move through a significant chunk of it's higher trim R1Ts as this implies, that'd be a great sign.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
When you go to configure a truck it specifically says "A $1,000 deposit secures your spot. You’ll finalize your configuration once it’s time for production."

If I placed a deposit and configured a truck expecting it in 1-4 months I would still be bummed 2 months in to learn my only option is to pick from the available configs which I could have done 2 months prior. I get that complaint.

I think maybe we are missing the bigger picture. Rivian does not seem to have a plan to make a lot more R1Ts this year. Seems like R1S and R2 production are going to hog the lines in Normal.

I'm curious if anyone is able to get a custom R1T config right now or if it's only Rivian clearing out the inventory on the way to a refresh/prioritizing of the SUVs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry, but there are exactly zero BMWs that share any real resemblance to the MKV Supra. It's Toyota's sheetmetal design all the way. The Z4 obviously shares the same chassis and it could never be mistaken for a Supra, except maybe by a blind man.
I've seen both in person, and I am not blind. They won't be mistaken for one another, but there is a enough resemblance that you can clearly see they are cousins.
Rivian R1T R1S So what is up with this company? 1711500792172-u4

Rivian R1T R1S So what is up with this company? 1711500979728-o5

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rivian does not seem to have a plan to make a lot more R1Ts this year. Seems like R1S and R2 production are going to hog the lines in Normal......
Why do you believe they won't make more R1T?

Presumably the R2 will have its own line

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Listen, I think the OP was a bit dramatic, but if we are being objective, communication hasn't been Rivian's forte.

If Rivian let the OP place a custom order, then they should have fulfilled it - or cut off custom ordering and not let him do it at all.

At the end of the day, Rivian really can't afford to turn away customers so they need to improve for their own sake.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

When you go to configure a truck it specifically says "A $1,000 deposit secures your spot. You’ll finalize your configuration once it’s time for production."

If I placed a deposit and configured a truck expecting it in 1-4 months I would still be bummed 2 months in to learn my only option is to pick from the available configs which I could have done 2 months prior. I get that complaint.

I think maybe we are missing the bigger picture. Rivian does not seem to have a plan to make a lot more R1Ts this year. Seems like R1S and R2 production are going to hog the lines in Normal.

I'm curious if anyone is able to get a custom R1T config right now or if it's only Rivian clearing out the inventory on the way to a refresh/prioritizing of the SUVs
Doesn't S outsell T about 8/1? Seems smart to prioritize. I honestly think T would sell better if they had done the 180kwh pack. Then people could have gotten a legit 225-250 towing and not something in the mid 100's.
Sponsored