Sponsored

Some Supercharger v3 not available to 3rd parties?

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Did the V3 chargers work? I see a yellow Rivian charging or trying to charge. New sites usually take a few days or weeks to start working with non teslas.
The yellow Rivian is "Tarkus" (Me) & yes the V3 worked fine & the white Tesla was feeding with no issues at the V4 station as well. :like:
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Sorry to harp on this, but what is a "V1 Supercharger"? I always see people causally mention V1s, but AFAIK, they don't really exist. I thought I understood these chargers were very few and far between and were just experimental units before they came out with the much more common V2 chargers we all know ( 100-145kW, shared between 2 A/B stalls ) . Do you have any info on what Superchargers are V1s, at all? Have you ever seen one in the wild?

Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Sorry to harp on this, but what is a "V1 Supercharger"? I always see people causally mention V1s, but AFAIK, they don't really exist. I thought I understood these chargers were very few and far between and were just experimental units before they came out with the much more common V2 chargers we all know ( 100-145kW, shared between 2 A/B stalls ) . Do you have any info on what Superchargers are V1s, at all? Have you ever seen one in the wild?
Yes, they absolutely DO exist and are fairly common. In fact, within 25 miles of me, ALL of the Tesla superchargers are V1 (72kW). Plus there are two V3 that are not open to Rivians. This is in a major urban/suburban region.

And, just to be clear, this distinction makes no difference to my argument. V1/V2/Urban superchargers are about 1/3 of the total number of Tesla supercharger, and these will NEVER be opened to Rivians or other CCS vehicles because they operate on a Tesla-proprietary protocol.

I don't want to harp on it either, I just want people, especially current/former Tesla owners, to be aware that they can't just assume that all those Tesla chargers they've relied on in the past are available to Rivians. They're not. And in many parts of the country, and for many specific trips, you can get yourself in trouble by ASSUMING the experience you had charging your Tesla on a route will be the same as with a Rivian. And you can get OTHERS into trouble when you say things like you can go anywhere using the Tesla superchargers without having to worry about finding a charger - while that may be true when driving a Tesla, it is most certainly NOT true when driving a Rivian.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yes, they absolutely DO exist and are fairly common. In fact, within 25 miles of me, ALL of the Tesla superchargers are V1 (72kW). Plus there are two V3 that are not open to Rivians. This is in a major urban/suburban region.

And, just to be clear, this distinction makes no difference to my argument. V1/V2/Urban superchargers are about 1/3 of the total number of Tesla supercharger, and these will NEVER be opened to Rivians or other CCS vehicles because they operate on a Tesla-proprietary protocol.

I don't want to harp on it either, I just want people, especially current/former Tesla owners, to be aware that they can't just assume that all those Tesla chargers they've relied on in the past are available to Rivians. They're not. And in many parts of the country, and for many specific trips, you can get yourself in trouble by ASSUMING the experience you had charging your Tesla on a route will be the same as with a Rivian. And you can get OTHERS into trouble when you say things like you can go anywhere using the Tesla superchargers without having to worry about finding a charger - while that may be true when driving a Tesla, it is most certainly NOT true when driving a Rivian.
The thing that probably chaps many Leaf owners is that the “Tesla proprietary” protocol is just the CHAdeMO protocol plus a “plug and charge” like data add-on. That’s why all Teslas from the first-year Model S onward can use CHAdeMO adapters - they’re simple “wire plug adapters”.
And why older Teslas need a hardware retrofit to use the CCS adapter - because the older vehicles only “speak CHAdeMO” and need the retrofit to be “dual language” and use the CCS.

Tesla absolutely could make an official CHAdeMO adapter so Leaf owners (and older Hyundai/Kia, and Mitsubishi, etc) could use ALL Superchargers. It would just require use of the app to start the session.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
V3 superchargers not on the list likely require computer hardware upgrades to be opened to other brands with adapters. A few months ago I happened to bump into a Tesla tech performing that upgrade on a v3 station (less than a year old btw) near my home. Once NACS access went live that station is indeed on the list.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I too have not run across a dual V2/V3 Tesla Charge Station, but I did find this V3/V4 Station on the West side of Nashville, TN yesterday morning (as I traveled from Jackson, TN to Carlisle, PA) & I tried to connect to the V4 chargers, but no go... :cool:

2024-06-28 West Nashville.jpg
Seems strange. I thought all the V4 chargers have magicdocks.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No. V4: longer cable. Magicdock: a V3 variant. And that built in adapter is essentially what Tesla provides to Ford and Rivian.
Correct on the cable but the sources I've seen say the standard US V4 cabinet design includes magic docks. That makes them and MD-equipped V3s open to any CCS vehicle, not just the few brands approved for adapter use. My understanding is that's the distinction in the nav apps between "open to other EVs" (magic docks) and "open the NACS" (adapter-approved marques)

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

Has anyone else seen this? We have a place called Palladio in Folsom with a mix of v2 and v3 superchargers.

The rivian nav said “incompatible” but i thought that was only referring to the v2.

I went to go plug in but nothing ever happened. it also doesn’t show up on the “Charge another EV” on the tesla app.

clearly for some reason this site is excluded for some reason from Rivian/3rd party access does anyone know why or have other examples of this? They have an insanely reasonable for California $0.17/kwh rate at night and would love to charge there…
Pretty much all of the Sacramento area ones are not available. There is one off 99 and florin, and the new Point West ones at the double tree are. The rest no. It's more about being available for Tesla use. The one near me 3 blocks from my house on Freeport is an 8 post V3 that I used all the time for my model S but is always full as with most of the other Sacramento locations.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Correct on the cable but the sources I've seen say the standard US V4 cabinet design includes magic docks. That makes them and MD-equipped V3s open to any CCS vehicle, not just the few brands approved for adapter use. My understanding is that's the distinction in the nav apps between "open to other EVs" (magic docks) and "open the NACS" (adapter-approved marques)
That's what I've heard too, that all V4 pedestals have the CCS adapter so I'm surprised a Rivian couldn't charge there.

Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
That's what I've heard too, that all V4 pedestals have the CCS adapter so I'm surprised a Rivian couldn't charge there.
The very first V4 SuperCharger in North America was installed in Wilsonville OR and after charging there I can tell you it does not contain any MagicDock stations. It does require a CCS adapter (I have A2Z’s Typhoon) but it works just fine if you have one.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The very first V4 SuperCharger in North America was installed in Wilsonville OR and after charging there I can tell you it does not contain any MagicDock stations. It does require a CCS adapter (I have A2Z’s Typhoon) but it works just fine if you have one.
Interesting. Another of the early V4s is near Montgomery AL and it does have magic docks.

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Clarification Folks: When I pulled up to the V4 & looked in the Tesla App to tap on the station (ie... 1B, 2C, 3A, etc...) the V4 Stations where not shown in the app, so I still plugged in my Vortex adaptor first, then plugged in the V4 connector to see if it would "auto start" charging (at the higher rate) & Tarkus (my R1S) did not show any sign of charging or was trying to start (ie. "waiting on charger" or "charging..." so I move to the V3's that were shown in the app. Next time I see a V4 DCFC Station I'll look to see if the "MD Adaptor" is present :cool:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Upon further digging... You're right. V4 does have the adapter. It's probably just down to a business decision at Tesla (and internal politics) on which ones to open to non-Teslas.
Sponsored