Sponsored

SOS - R1T bricked during aftermarket horn install (horn not at fault)

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Also, I'd be absolutely stunned if they don't warranty cover with $0 cost. The tech will "get it" and they've done a ton of these. You got hit with what's called spurious correlation. That is something happened when another thing happened and they aren't related at all! Just bad luck on the timing. Good luck!
I think you’re exactly right. While unfortunate that this happened after the horn install, @freshpow should be able to reasonably point out that given the number of 12V battery issues it is unreasonable to assume the aftermarket horn caused the problem without proof from Rivian.

I haven’t seen the kit from the vendor, but assuming it uses relatively thin wire and includes a fuse on the positive battery side, I cannot imagine how this setup would quickly kill a healthy Rivian battery.
Sponsored

OP
OP
freshpow

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I ended up buying a battery charger and fully trickle charged my 12v to where it's now measuring ~13v. Only problem is I noticed what looks like a red liquid that seems to have leaked out of the positive terminal during the trickle charge session. I tried to wipe it up but it's completely hardened.

What is this/is it something I need to be worried about? I'm planning to hook everything back up in the morning to see if I can unlock the car and maybe get it started, but am concerned by this leakage.

Rivian R1T R1S SOS - R1T bricked during aftermarket horn install (horn not at fault) image_123650291 (2).JPG

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I ended up buying a battery charger and fully trickle charged my 12v to where it's now measuring ~13v. Only problem is I noticed what looks like a red liquid that seems to have leaked out of the positive terminal during the trickle charge session. I tried to wipe it up but it's completely hardened.

What is this/is it something I need to be worried about? I'm planning to hook everything back up in the morning to see if I can unlock the car and maybe get it started, but am concerned by this leakage.

image_123650291 (2).JPG
I kind of think you’re just playing us now.

That’s what the batteries look like. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/what-i-learned-from-my-12v-battery-swap.13739/

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Sorry about your experience. I don't know enough to comment on your plight.

That said, it's not ringing true to me that safety reasons drove the horn upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that you justified the upgrade with safety to yourself, but in 45 years of driving and riding motorcycles on public roads I can't say my horn has ever saved my bacon. Oh, yes, I've honked it, not frequently, but many times over the years. But it was always to tell another driver they did something bad, or to tell them to get out of my way so I could get through, never to save my bacon.

As a motorcyclist, I know not to trust other drivers, and that includes not honking my horn to prevent an accident. I take evasive action, two wheels or four, it doesn't matter. I'm the only one that can save my bacon. Because, by the time I see a problem developing, and honked my horn, and the sound travelled the distance to the other vehicle, they heard it and responded, well, I would have been better off just taking evasive action to begin with! In this situation I might do both, honk and take evasive action, but the honking is just to tell them they messed up, it's not going to help me save my bacon.
All very true, but nobody wants a Toyota Corolla horn on a truck or SUV. That's likely the real reason why people are adding the second horn. It's almost embarrassing to honk the horn on a vehicle like the R1 and hear a meager little toot. But I agree---any horn will still get the job done to alert others of whatever situation has arisen at the time.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Probably a stupid question but I was getting ~2.5v at each post on the battery - do we add them up or it just is what it is?

I'm inclined to wait for service and see how that process goes. If they try to stick me with a $1k+ bill, maybe I'll explore the aftermarket options.
No offense, but if you don't already know the answer to that question, then you probably shouldn't have been doing any kind of electrical installation on your vehicle. For what it's worth, the 12V battery is DC, so you measure across the terminals to get your nominal voltage reading. One post is positive and the other is ground. You can't measure voltage at each post individually. If you swap the position of the leads, you're just changing the polarity, so the reading on your meter will show positive voltage and negative voltage.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

perhaps lost, but how did the aftermarket horn sound? did it meet expectations?

PBRAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali, Range Rover
It should auto detect and choose for you. If not, 12v agm will be fine. It'll likely start the battery desulfate automatically. And it won't likely work from the rear to trickle charge (vs a jump).

Also, I'd be absolutely stunned if they don't warranty cover with $0 cost. The tech will "get it" and they've done a ton of these. You got hit with what's called spurious correlation. That is something happened when another thing happened and they aren't related at all! Just bad luck on the timing. Good luck!
Would normally agree but given OP's lack of familarity/skill with electrical systems I would not rule out him inadvertently shorting something or merely having the frunk open too long and draining the 12v (not sure if that's actually a thing, but something left on or open).

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
100% agree. Everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle before driving a car. There would be 95% fewer accidents. Those that didn't learn would never make it to a car. Defensive driving 101.
I have said the same thing for years. Being a rider teaches driving situational awareness like nothing else.

With that said, it's an ignorant statement in a previous post that use of a horn is of no benefit. I can recall 3 or 4 instances in my past as a cage driver where someone was obliviously making a lane change "into my bacon" and a blast on the horn woke them up and alerted them I was there, avoiding an accident.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I have said the same thing for years. Being a rider teaches driving situational awareness like nothing else.

With that said, it's an ignorant statement in a previous post that use of a horn is of no benefit. I can recall 3 or 4 instances in my past as a cage driver where someone was obliviously making a lane change "into my bacon" and a blast on the horn woke them up and alerted them I was there, avoiding an accident.
offtopic but what do you think of this minihorn on the Grenadier?

Rivian R1T R1S SOS - R1T bricked during aftermarket horn install (horn not at fault) toot

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

image_123650291 (2).JPG
I kind of think you’re just playing us now.

That’s what the batteries look like. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/what-i-learned-from-my-12v-battery-swap.13739/
Perhaps OP just never noticed it until after charging.....? OP has said this is not his wheelhouse.

Even if you did get a charge into the battery, it's highly unlikely to hold a charge for long since it was down to a few volts. Big lead acid batteries can sometimes be recovered, but these little guys have no tolerance for abuse, especially what appears to be a bargain basement brand that Rivian used.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
offtopic but what do you think of this minihorn on the Grenadier?

toot.jpg
With the picture of what looks like a bicycle, does it sound like this?
Rivian R1T R1S SOS - R1T bricked during aftermarket horn install (horn not at fault) 1718281802047-zz

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Clubs

With the picture of what looks like a bicycle, does it sound like this?
1718281802047-zz.png
mostly. the "real" horn is very aggressive. this is more like a gentle breeze on a spring day in tinpan alley.

OP
OP
freshpow

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
OP
OP
freshpow

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Would normally agree but given OP's lack of familarity/skill with electrical systems I would not rule out him inadvertently shorting something or merely having the frunk open too long and draining the 12v (not sure if that's actually a thing, but something left on or open).
Shoot you're probably right. I guess everyone else who did the install got into the frunk with a headlamp and then closed it to do the install.

PBRAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali, Range Rover
Shoot you're probably right. I guess everyone else who did the install got into the frunk with a headlamp and then closed it to do the install.
...or maybe they didn't take as long. I don't think it takes much to drain the 12v battery, sadly.
Sponsored