Sponsored

State Farm & Nationwide Insurance experience / review? (California)

Newrivi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Clubs

Wanted to see what everyone's experience is in California with either State Farm or Nationwide insurance for their Rivian. Contemplating between the two. Price difference isn't much but want to pick a insurance company that is easy to work with. Currently there is only one Rivian certified shop in my location and it is only in Nationwide's network and not State Farm.
Sponsored

whizzkidd

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Cocaine White w/ Black Mountain on 20ā€ AT
What do you mean by ā€œin Nationwideā€™s network?ā€ Itā€™s not legal in California for an insurance company to ā€œsteerā€ you to another shop. Youā€™re welcome to go wherever you want for repairs. Unless something has dramatically changed in a way that Iā€™m not aware.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Anecdotal, but I've had State Farm for many years covering my vehicles and homes. Total asset value covered is on the high end, I'd say.

I haven't had any issues with them and their rates are the same or lower than other big names. I'd personally go with a larger name since I don't want to be caught in a bind when there's a big claim to be made. Not willing to risk it over a couple hundred dollars a year difference.

In terms of claims experience, I've had a few and all have been successful and smooth. It helps that I have a local body shop who can do a lot of the hand-holding/coordination for me. There's also a local State Farm office near me who I can call/email and get a response within 15 minutes.

Note I never had any claims with my Rivian or anything in the last 5-8 years that I remember.

tcole

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Zero FXE
Iā€™ve used State Farm for a long time and use them for homeowners, auto and an umbrella policy.

This includes insuring my R1T.

Iā€™ve never filed a claim with them, so havenā€™t really tested the part that really matters.
They have been easy to work with. Most everything goes through the local agent.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I've had State Farm since the early 90s and still do. But, for the R1T I went with Rivian/Nationwide because of their new car replacement coverage (which they cannot offer if you were to leave for another carrier then return at a later date). Plus, their policy does not specify coverage for on-pavement use only. State Farm would be a lot cheaper, but also not the same level of coverage.

With past vehicle, State Farm was pretty easy to deal with in regards to claims. The claims adjusters were all very helpful. However, they are still a business like any other, they will watch their own interests and steer you to repair your vehicle as cheaply as possible. One local trusted body shop was just recently dropped by State Farm as a pre-approved repair facility because they refuse to use substandard parts and other ways to cut corners for faster turn-around.

To some extent, you get what you pay. Comparing premiums alone isn't enough. You have to look at the coverage details too.

Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
One of us had an injury crash with claims, the other had a reportable non-injury crash with no claims, and we suffered the theft of a new minivan -- all in a six-month period in 2007. State Farm's Washington State adjusters handled each claim promptly, professionally, and fairly.

I asked how much they were going to raise our rates. They said they wouldn't -- they didn't think the three events represented increased overall risk.

A few years ago, one of our friends had an at-fault crash in which the other driver claimed injuries. Again, State Farm's claim adjuster did a superb job. Professional, competent, communicative, and fair to all.

I'm not insuring with any other company, for anything that State Farm is willing to insure for us. State Farm has absolutely been there for us, even with expensive claims, at least in Washington State.

Even though my experience has been exemplary, @Newrivi, I can't promise that yours will be too....

LSteele

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Regarding State Farm, I had a terrible experience. We were rear ended sitting at a stop light by a young lady. We bought our R1T used two months prior. She was insured by Progressive, but her limits were $15,000. Took it to the only authorized Rivian repair shop and found out they do not play well with State Farm.
Progressive called me and told me their insureds coverage was not adequate to cover my loss and I should file a claim with my insurance (State Farm) under my uninsured clause.

Long story short, turned out the frame was bent, they totaled the Rivian, offered me $20,000 less than I paid two months prior. Also refused to pay storage bills at the body shop. I refused their offer, had to hire an appraiser, and got a better second offer. No consideration was given for the new running boards or power bed cover.
I Had all my insurance with State Farm, after this experience, I canceled it all. They were just unworkable with this claim. They told me I should have taken it to one of their prefered body shops.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Regarding State Farm, I had a terrible experience. We were rear ended sitting at a stop light by a young lady. We bought our R1T used two months prior. She was insured by Progressive, but her limits were $15,000. Took it to the only authorized Rivian repair shop and found out they do not play well with State Farm.
Progressive called me and told me their insureds coverage was not adequate to cover my loss and I should file a claim with my insurance (State Farm) under my uninsured clause.

Long story short, turned out the frame was bent, they totaled the Rivian, offered me $20,000 less than I paid two months prior. Also refused to pay storage bills at the body shop. I refused their offer, had to hire an appraiser, and got a better second offer. No consideration was given for the new running boards or power bed cover.
I Had all my insurance with State Farm, after this experience, I canceled it all. They were just unworkable with this claim. They told me I should have taken it to one of their prefered body shops.
This is what I mean. Despite being a long time SF customer. At end of the day, they are still a for-profit business and will always act to protect profits, first and foremost. Other insurance companies will act the same. So you really can't base your decision on cost alone, but also level of coverage.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Wanted to see what everyone's experience is in California with either State Farm or Nationwide insurance for their Rivian. Contemplating between the two. Price difference isn't much but want to pick a insurance company that is easy to work with. Currently there is only one Rivian certified shop in my location and it is only in Nationwide's network and not State Farm.
I never got to using nationwide but they did nearly double my rates overnight so shopping around. Geico gave me a much lower rate.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Disclaimer- been a State Farm customer- all lines for over 25 yrs in 4 different states.
I always ask myself how SF can remain the largest insurer of autos & homes in US if all they do is screw people and not honor claims. But what amazes me most is how the main concern of most forum comments is property damage. As an insured, the biggest risk to our estates is medical claims- assuming we are at fault. I kinda think an insured best prioritize what type of claim can impact their standard of living. And in my opinion, it isnā€™t a broken windshield or side scrape. Lower your deductible if you donā€™t want to pay a dime for property damage to your vehicle and see how that works out for ya.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts

I'm sorry for your experience, @LSteele. None of my claims expenses have been with Rivians, which have a different set of body-shop options than State Farm's options. Forewarned is forearmed -- thanks!

With the minivan theft in 2007, State Farm offered to pay for an equivalent used minivan. I said, "Let's see.... It's a seven-week-old Sienna. It has 1500 miles. It has no problems. Please help me find someone who SELLS a vehicle like that. I don't know how to find one!"

It took the adjuster about a minute to admit that no equivalent was likely to be available on the used-car market. Then they paid us the replacement cost of a new Sienna.

Sometimes self-advocacy works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have to play hardball. I'm sorry you didn't get a satisfactory settlement, @LSteele.

Very best wishes!
Sponsored