pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
Do you really want to put wet ski / kayak / boating / camping gear or sweaty, muddy biking / camping gear or slobbery wet DOGS in this interior?
Rivian R1T R1S Summarized: R2 / R3 / R3X specs & info from MKBHD & Scaringe hands-on interview 1709867389968

I think that's one point--in addition to the obvious cost savings--of the R2 and R3 interiors. Function over "luxury."

When I saw the R2 and R3 my first though was: Subaru sales in Colorado - Utah (and similar) are going to take a massive dive. Many younger kids aspire to EVs.

Personally I think luxury is being able to "fill up" when I'm at home or at my destination, no side-trip required for liquid fuel.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Do you really want to put wet ski / kayak / boating / camping gear or sweaty, muddy biking / camping gear or slobbery wet DOGS in this interior?
1709867389968.png

I think that's one point--in addition to the obvious cost savings--of the R2 and R3 interiors. Function over "luxury."

When I saw the R2 and R3 my first though was: Subaru sales in Colorado - Utah (and similar) are going to take a massive dive. Many younger kids aspire to EVs.

Personally I think luxury is being able to "fill up" when I'm at home or at my destination, no side-trip required for liquid fuel.
I don't think their sales will take a massive or drastic dive just because of the R2/3. Subaru sales have already been in decline. I mean... look at them ugly cars and their detour into problematic CVTs. The owner demographic is changing. The younger ones who used to buy Subarus bought for utility and sensibility. Now, as you say, are aspiring to EVs as their incomes increase. The older ones will still stick to what's familiar. And fossil fuels will be majority market for another 30+ years.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
That picture is the opposite of what a luxury front row should look like. But if it saves them cash, and makes it possible to produce a profitable R2, it is the right call.

It does look like a $15k car, though...
I like the front center console setup; functional and accessible. Great work!

Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

What an exciting day, I actually don't know what thread to put this in, or if I should start a new one, but apparently there's a charger/hand warmer on the passenger side! I haven't seen anyone else talk about that small detail.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
And fossil fuels will be majority market for another 30+ years.
I hope not! And to quote you, this is why I think in Europe and USA, liquid fuel for non-towing drivers will decline, and decline quickly:

" The owner demographic is changing. The younger ones who used to buy Subarus bought for utility and sensibility. Now, as you say, are aspiring to EVs as their incomes increase. "

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Anyway, I am not trying to rain on the parade. I reserved a R2. I think it looks incredible. I am just a little taken aback by the interior shot that was posted. It looks cheap. I hope the tri-motor variant I am interested in will not look like that.
You make some valid points, but having a simple interior doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a cheap interior. The quality of materials is key, and based on the R1 I don’t think they’ll go cheap on that.

Defining “luxury” is certainly subjective, because I think having ventilated seats, open rear window, pano roof, classy exterior and interior design, etc feels a bit luxurious to me. But again, I wouldn’t put the R1 in the luxury class like some magazines tend to do.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
I hope they offer a power close frunk as an option.. I wouldn't be fond of hand prints on the hood every day.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
You make some valid points, but having a simple interior doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a cheap interior. The quality of materials is key, and based on the R1 I don’t think they’ll go cheap on that.

Defining “luxury” is certainly subjective, because I think having ventilated seats, open rear window, pano roof, classy exterior and interior design, etc feels a bit luxurious to me. But again, I wouldn’t put the R1 in the luxury class like some magazines tend to do.
I agree. Hopefully the picture doesn't accurately represent how it feels inside.

But the most important factor is whether or not Rivian can make these at a profit. Tesla has gone super simple and is profitable. So if this is what Rivian needs to do to make money, then they have to do it. No choice.

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I couldn't care less if they use recycled plastic or ocean based plastic. There are only two things that matter:
1) does it reduce material and manufacturing cost so that it makes it more likely Rivian can be cash flow positive producing the R2, and
2) does it feel better, look better and provide a better experience for the buyer.

If either of those are false, then this is a very bad decision and I question if the leadership can really right the ship and keep this awesome company from going bankrupt.
While I agree with you. I’ve learned how much of a dinosaur I’ve become on these issues in recent years at work. this is a big issue for early career folks and a buying decision factor for under 30 with kids.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
I can't imagine ocean plastics sells cars standing alone, but I guess it's of a piece with a larger brand zeitgeist Rivian is trying to project that I think does sell cars to a rising demographic of buyers. In the end, though, Rivian also has to be as good or better than alternatives A, B, and C at the basic stuff at the same price point. I'm hoping the R2 and R3 hit those sweet spots.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
That picture is the opposite of what a luxury front row should look like. But if it saves them cash, and makes it possible to produce a profitable R2, it is the right call.

It does look like a $15k car, though...
Firstly it's not intended to be a luxury car. secondly have you priced new cars in the past 5 years. I dont't know of ANY new car on sale in 2024 in the US starting at $15,000. And that's 2024 not 2026. The Nissan Versa base trim comes in at $15,800 which is close and comes with 122 hp gas motor and a dreadful interior. If you don't like the interior of the R2 and think it will be cheap after seeing photos of the prototype that's fine. It looks "like a $15K car" is a wild stretch to the point that I would characterize as simple false.

Chris T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
High Tech
Clubs

TLDW of the MKBHD / Scaringe interview (view below):

FULL INTERVIEW VIDEO:

R2
Base R2 RWD (starts @ 2:42) - $45K @ 270 mi. R2 RWD, AWD, and tri-motor variants that get 300+ mi. of range.

The setup in the interview/at the reveal is dual motor with a more off rim/tire setup (4:04). There is also a more on road tire.

Headliner is 100% recycled plastic and about half is from ocean based plastic (4:30).

The wireless charger will be updated (5:00).

The haptic wheels on the steering wheel were developed entirely in house and look REALLY cool (6:00).

Updated UI that will come to all R1 users as well (7:30). “Super Dark Mode” for when you’re sleeping/camping looks dope.

Back row. If you’re anywhere from 5’6” to 6’6” you should be cool. No second row screen but there are physical vent controls. (8:00)

Frunk is powered open and not power close (9:28).

All seats fold flat so their inflatable air mattress accessory (9:36) covers the whole area to create a whole in-vehicle camping experience.

R3

Same platform as R2 but a hrunk (10:50) and is a crossover interpreted how Rivian would. Great ground clearance can go off road. But it’s also an everyday vehicle.

R1 is most flagship. R2 is middle tier. R3 will be the cheapest and the wheelbase is the 5 in shorter than R2. (11:15)

Storage cover in the back of R3 (trunk) can be pulled out slightly as a seat (12:35).

R3X

Performance version of R3. A little wider (13:28)

R3X will have tri-motor (13:37).

Takes the R3 and interprets it though the lens of extreme off-road and on-road capability. (13:47)

No price yet but it comes after R2 and this shows the roadmap for R2 & R3. (14:08)

Same as the R3 in terms of lift gate, flipper glass, frunk, NACS, same steering wheel, etc. (14:17).
Great summary, not much discussion yet on the updated UI (7:30), but it looks awesome, can't wait for that to come to my R1T. Love the new screen looks and having compass, etc. on drivers screen. Awesome!
Sponsored