Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Supercharging Non-Teslas Without Being An EV-Hole

Jennifer Sensiba

When I first heard that Ford had released adapters and opened access to the Supercharger network, I noticed some people getting angry about that. Supercharger stations have long been designed to reach the port at the rear-driver side of the vehicle, and everyone is expected to back in to get it all lined up. The uniform nature of this meant shorter cables were needed and everything worked out fine. But when the barbarians showed up in F-150 Lightnings and Mach-Es with the charging port in a different spot, this created a possible issue.
Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Its funny to how were always worried about what we think is doing to happen versus what is actually going on.

What were worried about - Arguments ensuing over a non-Tesla taking up a charging port.

What typically happens - An EV owner shows up at a mostly empty Supercharger and has no worry about what stall to use.

What sometimes happens - A tesla owner shows up to a Supercharger that should be only at 40% utilization, but is actually full because of ICE vehicles parked in charging stalls.

What might happen - Arguments ensuing over a non-Tesla taking up a charging port.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Tesla obviously doesn’t care too much if there are some issues with this, as the other automakers all paid a handsome sum (billions in all) for access.
Have we seen anything like this reported by anyone else? Billions, plural, in all? That would require payments to Tesla of hundreds of dollars per EV sold over a multi-year period. I find that kind of hard to believe, TBH.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

@Autolycus, I had the same thought. I wonder if the next 10-Q from EV manufacturers will have an item showing payments to access the Tesla supercharger network

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Have we seen anything like this reported by anyone else? Billions, plural, in all? That would require payments to Tesla of hundreds of dollars per EV sold over a multi-year period. I find that kind of hard to believe, TBH.
I noticed that too. Citation definitely needed.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I also doubt that Tesla is being paid billions of dollars. Although they are clearly making money on this transition, I'm not sure if any of that profit is in the form of direct payments from other auto manufacturers.

HOWEVER, it is clear that it will be *costing* auto manufacturers billions of dollars in total to switch to NACS, what with the re-engineering of charging systems, the new parts and tooling for the charge ports, assembly line and quality control changes, the redesign of branded charging equipment (home chargers, portable chargers, adapters, and at least in the case of Rivian, RAN chargers), etc. This is why the change is going to be gradual over the next few years, and why there is an interim solution of adapters to allow the expense of this change (to everyone) to be spread over several years.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I plan to tell any angry Tesla owners to tweet their complaints at Elon, then I will go back to my nap.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I also doubt that Tesla is being paid billions of dollars. Although they are clearly making money on this transition, I'm not sure if any of that profit is in the form of direct payments from other auto manufacturers.

HOWEVER, it is clear that it will be *costing* auto manufacturers billions of dollars in total to switch to NACS, what with the re-engineering of charging systems, the new parts and tooling for the charge ports, assembly line and quality control changes, the redesign of branded charging equipment (home chargers, portable chargers, adapters, and at least in the case of Rivian, RAN chargers), etc. This is why the change is going to be gradual over the next few years, and why there is an interim solution of adapters to allow the expense of this change (to everyone) to be spread over several years.
"Paid" might not be the right word. I'm fairly certain Tesla is receiving $5-7 billion in subsidies for opening the network (to expand, retrofit, etc)

Sponsored

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

"Paid" might not be the right word. I'm fairly certain Tesla is receiving $5-7 billion in subsidies for opening the network (to expand, retrofit, etc)
I believe this is about the infrastructure bill. Tesla wants to be eligible for the upcoming billions in federal charger subsidies. That won't happen unless their chargers are open to other brands. I think the RAN network will be open for the same reason.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They're not getting anywhere near that from the government. The TOTAL investment in EV charging is $7.5 billion, of which $5 billion is going to states for the NEVI grants. All of that is for NEW chargers, not for retrofitting existing ones.

JRock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Barber
I’m certain that Tesla is making money hand over fist on their charging network anyway, from the existing Tesla owners. Factoring in the higher prices Elon is charging the rest of us, it’s clear to me that the vehicles are just the beginning of his profit center; think razor-razor blades. Providing a charging network that’s fast, widespread AND dependable, will be the way forward. It’s just the beginning of this new gold rush.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs