First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This question is popping up frequently now that the 3rd row seat is no longer an option. There are alot of comments about "I don't need it" (OK, I get that), "I want the additional space for storage", etc. Below is some info that I overlayed on an image of the third row so you can try to visualize some of the realities. The dimensions are pretty accurate but not exact. I used the entire length of the R1S (200") to create a 24" ruler to overlay to measure the third row seats. Is it off by 1/2"? Maybe, but close enough for this discussion.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything in particular. I'm just speaking as an engineer who likes to analyze and solve problems, also speaking from a lot of experience with having 3 trucks with fold down seats (Avalanche and 2 Suburbans) and having 3rd row seats in both Suburbans.

1 - I'm pretty sure the width is not limited by the 3rd row armrests (I've read comments by others stating that). If you look closely at the image below, it looks like the armrests are mounted ON TOP of the rear wheel well arches. It's clear the 3rd row seat is not full width compared to the 2nd row, it's only as wide as the wheel well arches permit. I could be wrong but I think I'm right. Now someone will say that it's known there's more than 48" between the wheel wells on the R1T. Yes, that's been discussed. But it's likely the R1S body has a different shape wheel well arch. A pickup truck bed is not built the same as an SUV body.

2 - Space Gain by removing 3rd row seat - I've posted elsewhere that it's not going to create as much USABLE space as you might think. Hopefully you can visualize the vertical dimension (Z axis) in the picture below. It might help to watch the seat folsing animation on the Rivian web site. The 3rd row seat folds down into the space just in front of the rear axle hump, behind the second row seat. It's 24" front to back. If you remove the 3rd row seat, the additional space is not level with the rear deck. It's going to be 8" to 10" below the rear deck where the spare tire is stored. So you will not have a flat area to slide things in and out. It's really convenient for that area to be uniformly flat.

It is likely that you can't lower the rear deck - the space require for the spare tire underneath is fixed, regardless of whther you have the 3rd row seat or not. My guess is that if you ordered the 5 seat version, they simply were going to install a flat platform at the same height as the rear deck, making nice, flat storage space for camping/sleeping as RJ demonstrated.

3 - Amount of space gained - 24" front to back, 46" wide, and (from my other vehicle experience and guessing based on the video) I think the depth/thickness of the 3rd row seat is about 10" - 12". In the animation it's clear that the 3rd row seat is not as thickly cusioned as the second row. That's consistent with the Suburban. Do the math and you come up with about 8 cubic feet additional space. BUT - is it really USABLE space? What can you put in there? How accessible is it? I guess that depends on your use case and whether you want a flat floor or not.

Again, if you have not watch the folding seat animation on Rivian's web site, you should. That's where this image came from.

Rivian R1T R1S Third Row Seat Removable/Space Savings - Illustration and longish discussion 1646371295424
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
One of the other benefits that is not discussed about having the third row is that if you needed to carry something wide and had four people in the vehicle you could fold down 1/2 of the third row and 1/2 of the second row and seat two people in back tandem. Obviously probably not good for a long trip but works in a pinch if you’re picking up something large at Costco that you weren’t expecting! Like that has never happened!

epradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MYP, 15 A8 TDI, 15 GL350
Just curious... if you had an angle grinder/ sawzall, could you not get the 5 seat version you want? Is there something structurally different with the 7 vs 5 seat?

GENVT

First Name
Gail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mazda CX9 Ordered R1S
One of the other benefits that is not discussed about having the third row is that if you needed to carry something wide and had four people in the vehicle you could fold down 1/2 of the third row and 1/2 of the second row and seat two people in back tandem. Obviously probably not good for a long trip but works in a pinch if you’re picking up something large at Costco that you weren’t expecting! Like that has never happened!
I do this all the time with my current 7 seater schlepping high schoolers and their Nordic ski bags to practice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious... if you had an angle grinder/ sawzall, could you not get the 5 seat version you want? Is there something structurally different with the 7 vs 5 seat?
lol, of course you could, nothing in this would be structurally critical. But I doubt you need to be that aggressive. Think about assembling the truck - these seats are designed to be installed on the production line in just a few minutes (less than a minute?) with bolts/fasteners/pins. At worst case, maybe they use "one-time" fasteners that are crimped/bent/knurled/friction fit/whatever. But that would just create service headaches for Rivian doing warranty repairs. It's likely that it's a removeable fastener.

Or maybe it would just be fun to use a torch like D-Day in "Animal House"
Rivian R1T R1S Third Row Seat Removable/Space Savings - Illustration and longish discussion 1646401271151

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
lol, of course you could, nothing in this would be structurally critical. But I doubt you need to be that aggressive. Think about assembling the truck - these seats are designed to be installed on the production line in just a few minutes (less than a minute?) with bolts/fasteners/pins. At worst case, maybe they use "one-time" fasteners that are crimped/bent/knurled/friction fit/whatever. But that would just create service headaches for Rivian doing warranty repairs. It's likely that it's a removeable fastener.

Or maybe it would just be fun to use a torch like D-Day in "Animal House"
1646401271151.png
if it’s like most other seats, it’s 4 big torx screws, and a connector for occupancy/seatbelt sensors. Out in minutes. Wether it’s doable without taking a chunk out of the nice armrests… as I have always told anyone who asks if something is feasible(especially salespeople)… anything can be done once!

things like this are why I’m keen to see service manuals.

Time for safety training!

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
This question is popping up frequently now that the 3rd row seat is no longer an option. There are alot of comments about "I don't need it" (OK, I get that), "I want the additional space for storage", etc. Below is some info that I overlayed on an image of the third row so you can try to visualize some of the realities. The dimensions are pretty accurate but not exact. I used the entire length of the R1S (200") to create a 24" ruler to overlay to measure the third row seats. Is it off by 1/2"? Maybe, but close enough for this discussion.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything in particular. I'm just speaking as an engineer who likes to analyze and solve problems, also speaking from a lot of experience with having 3 trucks with fold down seats (Avalanche and 2 Suburbans) and having 3rd row seats in both Suburbans.

1 - I'm pretty sure the width is not limited by the 3rd row armrests (I've read comments by others stating that). If you look closely at the image below, it looks like the armrests are mounted ON TOP of the rear wheel well arches. It's clear the 3rd row seat is not full width compared to the 2nd row, it's only as wide as the wheel well arches permit. I could be wrong but I think I'm right. Now someone will say that it's known there's more than 48" between the wheel wells on the R1T. Yes, that's been discussed. But it's likely the R1S body has a different shape wheel well arch. A pickup truck bed is not built the same as an SUV body.

2 - Space Gain by removing 3rd row seat - I've posted elsewhere that it's not going to create as much USABLE space as you might think. Hopefully you can visualize the vertical dimension (Z axis) in the picture below. It might help to watch the seat folsing animation on the Rivian web site. The 3rd row seat folds down into the space just in front of the rear axle hump, behind the second row seat. It's 24" front to back. If you remove the 3rd row seat, the additional space is not level with the rear deck. It's going to be 8" to 10" below the rear deck where the spare tire is stored. So you will not have a flat area to slide things in and out. It's really convenient for that area to be uniformly flat.

It is likely that you can't lower the rear deck - the space require for the spare tire underneath is fixed, regardless of whther you have the 3rd row seat or not. My guess is that if you ordered the 5 seat version, they simply were going to install a flat platform at the same height as the rear deck, making nice, flat storage space for camping/sleeping as RJ demonstrated.

3 - Amount of space gained - 24" front to back, 46" wide, and (from my other vehicle experience and guessing based on the video) I think the depth/thickness of the 3rd row seat is about 10" - 12". In the animation it's clear that the 3rd row seat is not as thickly cusioned as the second row. That's consistent with the Suburban. Do the math and you come up with about 8 cubic feet additional space. BUT - is it really USABLE space? What can you put in there? How accessible is it? I guess that depends on your use case and whether you want a flat floor or not.

Again, if you have not watch the folding seat animation on Rivian's web site, you should. That's where this image came from.

1646371295424.png
You're truly the best kind of nerd. :involve:

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Can't speak for the fit/finish of this option :movember:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

A while back, I asked CS about removing the third row. They said it wasn’t designed for quick removal but it can be removed. It sounded like the four bolt setup @crashmtb mentioned. Removable but inconvenient. That conversation convinced me 7 seat was the way to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
if it’s like most other seats, it’s 4 big torx screws, and a connector for occupancy/seatbelt sensors. Out in minutes. Wether it’s doable without taking a chunk out of the nice armrests… as I have always told anyone who asks if something is feasible(especially salespeople)… anything can be done once!

things like this are why I’m keen to see service manuals.

Time for safety training!
"I used to laugh at safety, now they call me ....... three fingered Joe". ? ? ? ?

Gotta love the drama they put in these videos!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

1646371295424.png
I agree with nearly all of that, which is why I'm not upset about them dropping the option, even if it would have been my selection. However, we know that the specs that CS was given at some point indicate 3" gained on the minimum height and an inch or so gained on the minimum width. I assume those were based on CAD drawings and not anything that had ever been prototyped or assembled, so it's certainly possible that they would have ended up needing adjustments to the design that cut into those extra spaces.

Also, I'd love to have an extra bit of underfloor storage where the 3rd row seats are when they're down, even if I didn't gain the extra height or width.

Ultimately, it's the right call for Rivian to make. Simplification of the product and manufacturing process are critical to their success right now. I would much rather have a 7-seat R1S supported by a thriving company than a 5-seat one supported by independent shops getting parts from salvage.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can't speak for the fit/finish of this option :movember:
Remember the millwright credo; “grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t“

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're truly the best kind of nerd. :involve:
I’ve designed things for @Zoidz in a previous job.

if I knew the mysterious Gil had a beer wagon and other fun things back then I would have treated those jobs a lot differently ?

jrtozer

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Nissan Leaf
Has anyone tried to remove the third row seats yet?
Sponsored