Sponsored

Timing of Base Model R2/How to Plan For A Car 2+ Years Out?

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T,2014 BMW X1,2007 Ranger
Occupation
Slacker Hacker
I was thinking about leasing either an R1T or a Tesla Model Y for 3 years while I wait for the R2. I don't need a giant SUV like an R1S since it's just mostly me riding in it with occasional passengers. My current ride is a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T with 215,000 miles. It's been a great vehicle for the last 11 years and I have done tons of maintenance on it. Mostly DIY. But it has been throwing fun problems at me every few months (new AC compressor, new Alternator, new Radiator in the last 6 months). Current issue is a flaky turbo. So I'm in the market now. I've never leased before but this seems ideal while I wait for the R2.

Edit: And I think if you lease an R1T you move up the priority list
Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
@FamilyTruckster: Where I live on the Northwest USA Coast, it rains hard and with lots of wind.

Most of the year, our R1S will haul a lot more stuff, a lot more securely, than an R1T would have.

Your situation is probably different....

Enjoy your R1!

AstroPilotZ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru Outback, 2021 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Traffic safety consultant
Since the Solterra rates poorly overall, their used prices are pretty low. If I can't wait for the R2, my choices are either the low range Solterra or spend like $10K for a Subaru or Honda CR/V with 200K miles on it for those trips. If I do the latter, then maybe I could wait for the R2, or R3. Unless somebody else releases an EV with decent gc.

In the mean time I continue to scoff, laugh, cry, and scold when they say that cars like the Ioniq 5, EV 6, EX30, the Mach E, even the Bolt EUV, are SUVs. NOT.
I’m frustrated by this too. My 2005 Subaru is at the end of its life, so I need something for the next 2-3 years until the R2 is here. Why are all the modern EVs so low to the ground? Great for city driving, but for a mountain car none of the current $50k-ish EVs can replace a 20-year old Outback. I’ll probably get a PHEV like a RAV4 Prime or something until the R2 is available.
Sponsored