Sponsored

Timing of Base Model R2/How to Plan For A Car 2+ Years Out?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

There will be more options than R2 in the similar price range in 2 yrs available.

Keep your option open and don’t give it another thought.

Personally, I wouldn‘t buy a new vehicle coming out of college, but it’s your value proposition. I read your comments about being the 3rd priority. For me, a new vehicle was not in my top 10 priority coming out of college so I didn’t buy one.

It’s not any of our place to tell you what you should or should not do. So if it means something to you, go do it.
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm sure someone on here will let you take a look at their R1.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Equinox Premier
Occupation
College Student
SuEllyn put her deposit down on a Rivian R1 on November 28, 2018. She took delivery of her R1T on April 26, 2023, four years and five months later. We also put in a deposit for an R2. We realize that it will take some time to get the R2. We are hopeful that Rivian will do better on the R2 than they are anticipating. They really need to get the R2 out there quickly if they want to remain in business. We think that producing the R2 in the Normal Plant will give them a shot at this.

Brian
I agree that R2 needs to get out quickly, and scale to capacity for them to remain in business.

On a side note, I can't think of a better vehicle to cruise the streets of Santa Rosa Beach/30A with (friends used to live in Seaside so know the area pretty well). The Rivian seems so perfect for that area, especially for loading it up with chairs and umbrellas and heading down to the beach.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I'm sure someone on here will let you take a look at their R1.
I've sat in one before and really liked it. I don't necessarily feel like I need to test drive as I've driven EV's before, but do personally feel Rivian should change the minimum age of test drive from 21 to 18 to mimic Tesla, especially with a more mass market vehicles on the way in R2 and R3. Plus, more butts in seats is never a bad thing from a marketing perspective.

Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
I’m anticipating that the early R2 builds will have some quirks and rough edges. Prioritizing existing owners means targeting customers who are already familiar with the brand and are sufficiently satisfied, enthusiastic even, to be early adopters. We have a better idea of what to expect and can cut them a bit more slack.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
That’s not how it works in life…
I know it's not. Seeing Tesla delivering the Cybertruck, with celebrities and people with referral credits getting theirs first is likely what will end up happening with the R2 to some degree.

I was just looking at this from a pure marketing perspective (what is best for Rivian as a company). I can see the argument for giving R1 owners priority, as they are already customers who are excited about this upcoming product, and are very likely to turn their reservations into orders. However, I also see (and agree with more) the idea of getting as many NEW customers into the Rivian brand as fast as possible. Seems like it would have a greater positive marketing benefit then just selling additional cars to people that already own Rivians.

But none of us really have any say in the matter with Rivian so I guess we'll have to see how it all plays out

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I’m anticipating that the early R2 builds will have some quirks and rough edges. Prioritizing existing owners means targeting customers who are already familiar with the brand and are sufficiently satisfied, enthusiastic even, to be early adopters. We have a better idea of what to expect and can cut them a bit more slack.
True, didn't think about that a ton. But, I would say there is some degree of expecting some quirks and rough edges when you reserve a car and want to get it as soon as possible. I personally would be fine with a few little issues here and there to get the car early as it would be under warranty and I have faith that Rivian would take care of the issues. But I do know you would get some people that would freak out about the issues, and that could slightly tarnish the reputation of the brand.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I (like many of you) really think the R2 looks like a great vehicle, and reserved one during the reveal livestream. I'm a huge car enthusiast and love driving anything, but especially love electric vehicles. I've loved the look of the R1 vehicles, and think Rivian is combining the best parts of Tesla, Land Rover, and BMW.

But I can't help but be concerned with the potential for a long wait for the base model version (RWD and Standard Pack). I'm assuming an asking price of $47500, and with the Federal Credit, my out the door price with taxes and registration should be around $44000. I'm hoping to receive this car in time for my college graduation in April 2026, to hopefully use on an around the US road trip I have been dreaming about doing upon graduation, prior to starting my first job. My current car has 95,000 miles on it, so I am at the point where I am beginning to think about replacements, though it'll be totally fine until 2026, but would like to get something a bit newer upon graduation and likely having a daily commute after college.

If the Base Model R2 isn't available in that time, I have a feeling I'll likely have to cancel my reservation and get something else. Maybe R1 models will be dipping into the $40k range on the used market, though I don't want to pay a lot of money for a car that's out of warranty. Other potential options include Certified Pre Owned Land Rover Velar, BMW X5, Audi E-Tron, or maybe a new Tesla Model Y (though I don't really like the way it looks even though it drives great). I know I won't be able to afford a $60k vehicle, and I'm not a current R1 owner so I don't get priority in my delivery status. It's just kind of hard to plan the sale of my current car and getting my finances in order when I don't know when (or if) I'll get the vehicle.

What do you all think and how are you planning for your potential future delivery?
Congrats on your upcoming graduation.

I would hold onto the reservation and stay in line. If you want to take a road trip look to rent an EV....even a Rivian and at least you would get used to what it takes to own and plan trips with an EV.

Like most people said, don't expect an April 2026 delivery especially if you aren't a current owner of a Rivian. I think they will probably ramp down the R1's since they are more expensive and with the R2 being announced and production starting, people can afford the R2 more than the R1s's.

An advantage of having to wait a little longer is that the glitches will be worked out. We got our R1T in May 0f 2023....about 2 years after they started delivering and from everything I read, there were many quality issues. By time we got ours......we had nothing wrong (other than we had to get a headlight system issue fixed).

I doubt you will be able to get a used R1S for anything less than $60 to $70k range.....but who knows. Myabe Rivian will have a "let's sell these already built ones to make room for the R2's" sale.

Again, I would hold onto it.....after all, its only a $100.

But I do know you would get some people that would freak out about the issues, and that could slightly tarnish the reputation of the brand.
I have read 100's of people complaining of things I scratch my head about.

"The wireless charging sucks....I have to replace it"
"I don't need a camp speaker, why couldn't I get a <insert want here>"
"I spent $100,000 on a vehicle and it is making a wind noise on the window and they can't repair it for 3 months.....customer service sucks"

If it impedes driving (like our headlight system issue....couldn't drive it at night), or a 12v Battery issue, then they will prioritize those issues over "there is a paint smudge on the door frame"

Last edited:
OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
Congrats on your upcoming graduation.

I would hold onto the reservation and stay in line. If you want to take a road trip look to rent an EV....even a Rivian and at least you would get used to what it takes to own and plan trips with an EV.

Like most people said, don't expect an April 2026 delivery especially if you aren't a current owner of a Rivian. I think they will probably ramp down the R1's since they are more expensive and with the R2 being announced and production starting, people can afford the R2 more than the R1s's.

An advantage of having to wait a little longer is that the glitches will be worked out. We got our R1T in May 0f 2023....about 2 years after they started delivering and from everything I read, there were many quality issues. By time we got ours......we had nothing wrong (other than we had to get a headlight system issue fixed).

I doubt you will be able to get a used R1S for anything less than $60 to $70k range.....but who knows. Myabe Rivian will have a "let's sell these already built ones to make room for the R2's" sale.

Again, I would hold onto it.....after all, its only a $100.

I have read 100's of people complaining of things I scratch my head about.

"The wireless charging sucks....I have to replace it"
"I don't need a camp speaker, why couldn't I get a <insert want here>"
"I spent $100,000 on a vehicle and it is making a wind noise on the window and they can't repair it for 3 months.....customer service sucks"

If it impedes driving (like our headlight system issue....couldn't drive it at night), or a 12v Battery issue, then they will prioritize those issues over "there is a paint smudge on the door frame"
Yeah, I will definitely hold onto my reservation. I've done a road trip in a Tesla before, from Oregon to Northern California and back, which is what made me realize how nice it is to take an EV road trip. Now when I drive my ICE SUV, I end up stopping at the same places I would in an EV just to use the restroom and get some food.

I think I'll likely be on the lookout for a used EV SUV over the next year or two, hopefully under $25k to get the additional $4k incentive. Something like a Mustang Mach E, Ioniq 5, or maybe even a plug in hybrid of some kind like a BMW X5 PHEV to have electric in my daily driving. Another option could be to lease an EV if I could find a great deal, like a Nissan Ariya or even a Mercedes EQE SUV. EV's are so smooth and effortless to drive, and I can't get over that now.

I also don't get all the complaining that people do about their cars. Even on things like Panel Gaps, they aren't a big deal, and there are usually more pressing things for the manufacturer to worry about with new models. Obviously we want well built cars, but some people are so nit picky over the littlest things.

Sponsored

drm

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EV
Occupation
retired
I made my R2 reservation but will likely only get it if they are early. My situation is I traded in my Subaru for a Bolt last year because I was ready to go electric and it was such a friggin' good value - home charging electricity is near the cheapest in the country where I live.

But now I can't go all the place I wants to go. The plan was to put up with that for a (short) while and then upgrade to an Equinox EV. Then they said it only has 6.4" of ground clearance! (The ICE version has more than that) It is kind of ridiculous that the Solterra is the only EV with over 8" gc for under like $60K or $70K.

I love my Bolt for street driving, but summer is arriving and those unpaved roads are calling me.

Since the Solterra rates poorly overall, their used prices are pretty low. If I can't wait for the R2, my choices are either the low range Solterra or spend like $10K for a Subaru or Honda CR/V with 200K miles on it for those trips. If I do the latter, then maybe I could wait for the R2, or R3. Unless somebody else releases an EV with decent gc.

In the mean time I continue to scoff, laugh, cry, and scold when they say that cars like the Ioniq 5, EV 6, EX30, the Mach E, even the Bolt EUV, are SUVs. NOT.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Don't make serious life-impacting plans based on a car delivering "on time" two years from now.

Go ahead ands on your R2 reservation, and hope you get it in time; but don't expect it.

Hell, I nearly screwed up in selling my old diesel pickup after production of my R1T was already *complete*, because I underestimated the amount of time it took to get the truck to me. It arrived two days before a planned towing road trip! Thankfully it arrived two days before instead of after.

(Of note - I waited over 8 years for one EV preorder to deliver, over 2 years for another before cancelling, 20 months for my Rivian, have been waiting over 3 years for another… I'm used to waiting. *NONE* have ever delivered on time.)

Last edited:

jupiterking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota RAV4 Prime
You’re probably better off settling into a new job and seeing how your budget is before getting a car anyway. An extra 6 months to a year on your current car won’t hurt!

Personally we’re a one car family. Our 2021 RAV4 Prime is at 105k and we’ll just keep it until an R2 is ready for us. At this rate I’d expect it to be close to 150k.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Just keep driving the current car you have for another 2-3 years.

You can always rent something like a class b or c RV for your road trip to make the most outb of it.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Just what I wanted to write as well :like:

I think the early builds of the first few months of manufacturing are better to go to existing Rivian owners who definitely have their expectation a bit more under control (not judging based on this forum :angel:) and probably panic less when some minor issue rears its ugly head.

And when the first kinks are straightened (to an extent) than R2s can go to the generic public who will be much more scrutinizing the vehicle and less forgiving :movember: (and maybe more vocal about the initial issues).

Probably it will still be a mix with a heavy lean toward existing R1 owners but I would be surprised if it would be 100% allocation to us.
Sponsored