Sponsored

Timing of Base Model R2/How to Plan For A Car 2+ Years Out?

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Equinox Premier
Occupation
College Student
I (like many of you) really think the R2 looks like a great vehicle, and reserved one during the reveal livestream. I'm a huge car enthusiast and love driving anything, but especially love electric vehicles. I've loved the look of the R1 vehicles, and think Rivian is combining the best parts of Tesla, Land Rover, and BMW.

But I can't help but be concerned with the potential for a long wait for the base model version (RWD and Standard Pack). I'm assuming an asking price of $47500, and with the Federal Credit, my out the door price with taxes and registration should be around $44000. I'm hoping to receive this car in time for my college graduation in April 2026, to hopefully use on an around the US road trip I have been dreaming about doing upon graduation, prior to starting my first job. My current car has 95,000 miles on it, so I am at the point where I am beginning to think about replacements, though it'll be totally fine until 2026, but would like to get something a bit newer upon graduation and likely having a daily commute after college.

If the Base Model R2 isn't available in that time, I have a feeling I'll likely have to cancel my reservation and get something else. Maybe R1 models will be dipping into the $40k range on the used market, though I don't want to pay a lot of money for a car that's out of warranty. Other potential options include Certified Pre Owned Land Rover Velar, BMW X5, Audi E-Tron, or maybe a new Tesla Model Y (though I don't really like the way it looks even though it drives great). I know I won't be able to afford a $60k vehicle, and I'm not a current R1 owner so I don't get priority in my delivery status. It's just kind of hard to plan the sale of my current car and getting my finances in order when I don't know when (or if) I'll get the vehicle.

What do you all think and how are you planning for your potential future delivery?
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I'm hoping to receive this car in time for my college graduation in April 2026, to hopefully use on an around the US road trip I have been dreaming about doing upon graduation... If the Base Model R2 isn't available in that time, I have a feeling I'll likely have to cancel my reservation and get something else.
I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but the odds of you haveing it by April 2026 are very nearly 0. April 2027 is more likely, and even that may be optimistic.

"Deliveries to begin in the first half of 2026" means that 3 employees will get one on June 30 and then it will be several more months before anyone outside the company gets one.

And that is if they don't push the date back, which based on their history is nearly certain to happen.

VegasWeezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I (like many of you) really think the R2 looks like a great vehicle, and reserved one during the reveal livestream. I'm a huge car enthusiast and love driving anything, but especially love electric vehicles. I've loved the look of the R1 vehicles, and think Rivian is combining the best parts of Tesla, Land Rover, and BMW.

But I can't help but be concerned with the potential for a long wait for the base model version (RWD and Standard Pack). I'm assuming an asking price of $47500, and with the Federal Credit, my out the door price with taxes and registration should be around $44000. I'm hoping to receive this car in time for my college graduation in April 2026, to hopefully use on an around the US road trip I have been dreaming about doing upon graduation, prior to starting my first job. My current car has 95,000 miles on it, so I am at the point where I am beginning to think about replacements, though it'll be totally fine until 2026, but would like to get something a bit newer upon graduation and likely having a daily commute after college.

If the Base Model R2 isn't available in that time, I have a feeling I'll likely have to cancel my reservation and get something else. Maybe R1 models will be dipping into the $40k range on the used market, though I don't want to pay a lot of money for a car that's out of warranty. Other potential options include Certified Pre Owned Land Rover Velar, BMW X5, Audi E-Tron, or maybe a new Tesla Model Y (though I don't really like the way it looks even though it drives great). I know I won't be able to afford a $60k vehicle, and I'm not a current R1 owner so I don't get priority in my delivery status. It's just kind of hard to plan the sale of my current car and getting my finances in order when I don't know when (or if) I'll get the vehicle.

What do you all think and how are you planning for your potential future delivery?
I wouldn’t plan on receiving the R2 by April 2026. Not even if you had the reservation #1 and were a current R1 owner. They’re aiming for 1st half 2026 deliveries of the first R2s. As we’ve seen with nearly every EV model launch, it’s pretty likely they won’t hit their target. Even if they hit the mark, their prioritization of current R1 owners would mean you have no shot at getting an R2 by April 2026.

I have 2 reservations for an R2. With 68,000 reservations placed in the first 24 hours and who knows how many more since, and me not owning an R1, I’m thinking I won’t see my reservation filled until 2027 (assuming deliveries start 1st half 2026). I have read that the Normal, Illinois plant’s capacity is expected to be 215,000 vehicles produced per year after its retooled. That’s inclusive of the R1S, R1T, EDV and R2. So, figure 60-75k R2s could be produced in 2026 at best. Then factor the prioritization of current R1 owners.

I’m not holding my breathe on the price point either. It’s frustrating how these companies over promise and under deliver. But I will keep the faith until the deliveries start rolling.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Congrats on your graduation! Love your idea of using the R2 to take road trips. One never knows what the future holds. You might get your R2 later or perhaps earlier. Be flexible. Interest rates should be better by then. Make this purchase an incentive to save as much money as you can. Looks like you know and like cars. The R1 is one of the best cars I've owned. It's the Swiss-army knife of cars. Contact Rivian and see if you can get some test drives in with the R1. Lastly, stay connected here. It's a great source of information. Cheers!

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Yeah that’s a tough one. You may get lucky and they deliver early (Tesla did with the Y and they’re notoriously late with everything too). It’s hard to plan though.

I agree the R2 seems perfect, which is why I also reserved one. I will say the Model Y is an incredible vehicle though. I’ve had one for nearly 4 years (grabbed one of the first built) and it’s been rock solid and so easy to own and drive. I’ve driven it from Dallas to Miami to Boston to San Diego and I couldn’t be happier with the car and the charging network. I think with the refresh coming next year it’ll look a lot better. The highland interior is also much nicer and has the ventilated seats etc.

I also had a Range Rover Velar, and while I freakin loved how it looked inside and out, it was crappy in every other aspect. I had one of the initial early builds with that too though, so I’m sure they got better in subsequent years.

Is a CPO Macan on your list? Love those too.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

R2 is sure to be a very popular product for Rivian. I will say that there is almost zero possibility of the standard version of R2 coming in 2026. Rivian, like many other auto makers, will focus on producing the higher priced (and higher margin) trims while they ramp and until demand starts to soften a bit, then they will introduce the lower margin entry level trims. They need higher margins to continue to fund the ramp up. Earliest I would expect to see base model R2 would be in 1st half of 2027 but depending on how they ramp and how much demand they have it could be 2028.

Rivian started to produce R1 in late 2021 and here in early 2024 they just introduced the standard pack. They also axed the Explore trim which was coming in at a lower price point.

Its hard to say with any certainty of course but I wouldn't plan on it.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I would get something to hold you over.... you might be in for a long ride.

GearTunnel

First Name
JH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CX-5, Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

BMW X5 to hold you over.

Highly rated of course. You Would love going cross country in the X5, IMHO

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

From another angle: Why do you think your current vehicle won't last that long?

Are you amassing a ton of mileage without performing all of the recommended preventive maintenance?

I have a buddy with 195k miles on his 2008 Honda Accord. It's still running strong. Last time he was into the shop, the owner told him he'd buy it if he ever sold it, because he loves those vehicles (something about loving to see how many miles they can go) and saw my buddy kept his well maintained.

Suffice to say, unless you're driving a jalopy that you're beating to death, I don't think 95,000 miles or so means its anywhere near 'end of life.' Just keep maintaining it.

FWIW: the real value of a vehicle is driving it, literally, until it simply is completely ineffective to resurrect it. "Until the wheels fall off" as they say. Even if a major repair is needed (transmission replacement, motor swap), likely you'll spend less than buying an entirely new vehicle.

SO, really, it comes down to: how much do you mind 'keeping up' with your current vehicle in its condition and how badly do you think you want an R2?

Worst best case, get a lease when your current vehicle gives it up on you and then you can get out of that and into an R2 if you really want one.

Otherwise, you're young, so here's some unsolicited advice... I made a LOT of bad financial calls when I first graduated. And yes, a car was one of them. Don't just go spending money because you can make 'big boy money' now. Start saving for your future first and then see where you can 'lock in' the luxury of a nice shiny new car.

Anyway, good luck!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yep, assume you won't get the R2 when you expect or as soon as you hope. Easiest path forward, unless you're current vehicle starts falling apart, is to just drive it until R2 delivery. As R1Thor advised, don't feel compelled to spend all of that new paycheck as soon as you start getting it. All that said, life has a way of making decisions for you. The vehicle I thought I was going to trade for my R1 was totaled in a hail storm. The replacement for that vehicle was later totalled in an accident. So I unexpectedly went through 2 vehicles before actually getting my R1.

And if your current vehicle won't last until the R2, I would advise staying away from used LR, BMW, Audi as you may be surprised by their maintenance costs. Not to sound like a broken record but be careful about living beyond your means right out of school.

Sponsored

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
From another angle: Why do you think your current vehicle won't last that long?

Are you amassing a ton of mileage without performing all of the recommended preventive maintenance?

I have a buddy with 195k miles on his 2008 Honda Accord. It's still running strong. Last time he was into the shop, the owner told him he'd buy it if he ever sold it, because he loves those vehicles (something about loving to see how many miles they can go) and saw my buddy kept his well maintained.

Suffice to say, unless you're driving a jalopy that you're beating to death, I don't think 95,000 miles or so means its anywhere near 'end of life.' Just keep maintaining it.

FWIW: the real value of a vehicle is driving it, literally, until it simply is completely ineffective to resurrect it. "Until the wheels fall off" as they say. Even if a major repair is needed (transmission replacement, motor swap), likely you'll spend less than buying an entirely new vehicle.

SO, really, it comes down to: how much do you mind 'keeping up' with your current vehicle in its condition and how badly do you think you want an R2?

Worst best case, get a lease when your current vehicle gives it up on you and then you can get out of that and into an R2 if you really want one.

Otherwise, you're young, so here's some unsolicited advice... I made a LOT of bad financial calls when I first graduated. And yes, a car was one of them. Don't just go spending money because you can make 'big boy money' now. Start saving for your future first and then see where you can 'lock in' the luxury of a nice shiny new car.

Anyway, good luck!
Yeah, I certainly don't think it's end of life, I just don't really want to keep it much past 120k miles or so. I really want to be able to sell/trade it while it still has some value ($10-12k), instead of just sending it to the scrapyard when it dies or selling it for next to nothing ($1-3k). I also don't love dumping money into an older car beyond basic maintenance, and would rather pay slightly more to pay depreciation expenses (I think a Lease would be perfect for me but I drive more than the usual 10k per year to get optimal deals). I'll likely end up selling it to my brother or someone who is turning 16 and getting their license, as that's what I originally bought it for and it has been perfect for it. It's a 2018 Equinox with all the features like cooled seats, surround vision camera, and a panoramic sunroof, so it is a pretty nice car for a teenager, and I've already promised my brother I'll sell it to him when he needs a new car.

When it comes to the financial advice, thank you. I already save a good amount in investment accounts every month, and am saving up for a down payment on a home to hopefully purchase in 2027-2028. I certainly wouldn't put a lot of money into a car if I didn't have those things in order, and would ensure that whatever car I purchased was bought with 50+% down and a low monthly payment, to ensure I don't tap into the home or investment funds. A car is definitely third on my priority list, and I would never personally delay a home purchase or invest less just to have a nicer car.

Utah-Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Subaru Accent, R2 slot reserved
My current car has 95,000 miles on it, so I am at the point where I am beginning to think about replacements, though it'll be totally fine until 2026, but would like to get something a bit newer upon graduation and likely having a daily commute after college.
I had to laugh at this… I typically drive a vehicle until it requires a repair/service that is greater than the value of the car, and on that day buy a new car. My average mileage for my past vehicles is 240,000+ miles each. 95,000 is just beyond the breakin point :)

I too am not an R1 owner but reserved an R2 the first day possible. Our current vehicles will both be 7+ years old when I will potentially get my R2, so well under my 240,000 miles, but hey I am splurging on my first EV

I for one will hope you get your car in time. It would be a great story for Rivian and their publicity for you to live your post graduation plan. Contact them and see if your story resonates…. Ya never know you might get lucky

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I wouldn’t plan on receiving the R2 by April 2026. Not even if you had the reservation #1 and were a current R1 owner. They’re aiming for 1st half 2026 deliveries of the first R2s. As we’ve seen with nearly every EV model launch, it’s pretty likely they won’t hit their target. Even if they hit the mark, their prioritization of current R1 owners would mean you have no shot at getting an R2 by April 2026.

I have 2 reservations for an R2. With 68,000 reservations placed in the first 24 hours and who knows how many more since, and me not owning an R1, I’m thinking I won’t see my reservation filled until 2027 (assuming deliveries start 1st half 2026). I have read that the Normal, Illinois plant’s capacity is expected to be 215,000 vehicles produced per year after its retooled. That’s inclusive of the R1S, R1T, EDV and R2. So, figure 60-75k R2s could be produced in 2026 at best. Then factor the prioritization of current R1 owners.

I’m not holding my breathe on the price point either. It’s frustrating how these companies over promise and under deliver. But I will keep the faith until the deliveries start rolling.
Yeah, I'm really not, but will keep my reservation in until we know more information.

On a side note, how do you like your Mach E, and are you planning to replace it with a R2, or get the R2 in addition to the Mach E? I'm seeing some great deals on used Mach E's (though not quite below the $25k mark for the used car $4k credit yet), and with them being open to Tesla Superchargers now, it looks like a pretty compelling option.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
Congrats on your graduation! Love your idea of using the R2 to take road trips. One never knows what the future holds. You might get your R2 later or perhaps earlier. Be flexible. Interest rates should be better by then. Make this purchase an incentive to save as much money as you can. Looks like you know and like cars. The R1 is one of the best cars I've owned. It's the Swiss-army knife of cars. Contact Rivian and see if you can get some test drives in with the R1. Lastly, stay connected here. It's a great source of information. Cheers!
I tried to sign up for a test drive an R1S, but you must be 21 years old or older to do so. I'm not, but figured it would be like Tesla where you only have to be 18 years or older to test drive. I've driven thousands of miles in a Tesla (family members car) so I am very aware of how EV's drive, and that's what made me reserve the Rivian.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I had to laugh at this… I typically drive a vehicle until it requires a repair/service that is greater than the value of the car, and on that day buy a new car. My average mileage for my past vehicles is 240,000+ miles each. 95,000 is just beyond the breakin point :)

I too am not an R1 owner but reserved an R2 the first day possible. Our current vehicles will both be 7+ years old when I will potentially get my R2, so well under my 240,000 miles, but hey I am splurging on my first EV

I for one will hope you get your car in time. It would be a great story for Rivian and their publicity for you to live your post graduation plan. Contact them and see if your story resonates…. Ya never know you might get lucky
I'll have to reach out to them. I'd be totally willing to document my trip for them and even show the car off to people at every charging stop. Heck, even if they loaned me a car for 3-4 weeks to take the trip (and I didn't own mine yet), I'd still probably take them up on that offer.
Sponsored