Sponsored

Timing of Base Model R2/How to Plan For A Car 2+ Years Out?

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Equinox Premier
Occupation
College Student
Yeah that’s a tough one. You may get lucky and they deliver early (Tesla did with the Y and they’re notoriously late with everything too). It’s hard to plan though.

I agree the R2 seems perfect, which is why I also reserved one. I will say the Model Y is an incredible vehicle though. I’ve had one for nearly 4 years (grabbed one of the first built) and it’s been rock solid and so easy to own and drive. I’ve driven it from Dallas to Miami to Boston to San Diego and I couldn’t be happier with the car and the charging network. I think with the refresh coming next year it’ll look a lot better. The highland interior is also much nicer and has the ventilated seats etc.

I also had a Range Rover Velar, and while I freakin loved how it looked inside and out, it was crappy in every other aspect. I had one of the initial early builds with that too though, so I’m sure they got better in subsequent years.

Is a CPO Macan on your list? Love those too.
Yeah, if the R2 doesn't seem like it's coming in a reasonable amount of time, I'd certainly look at the Model Y. I have driven a few thousand miles in my dad's Model 3 over the past 6 months so I definitely know they're awesome cars, and that road trips are easy. Not sure I'd want the refreshed model though. Even though ventilated seats are nice, the lack of stalks for turn signals and gear shifter could be a deal breaker, though I've never driven one of the newer Tesla's with that setup (I'm sure I will before I'm in a position to buy). I do love that Rivian isn't doing silly cost cutting measures like Tesla in that regard.

If I were to get a Land Rover product, I'd be sure to get an extended warranty and get rid of the car before that is over. Though they do look to have gotten better over the last 5 years.

I totally didn't think of the Macan, as I honestly don't see those driving around much and totally forgot about it. My aunt had a Cayenne Turbo that was a solid car for 15+ years, so I'd definitely have to look at either the Macon or Cayenne.
Sponsored

• Love
Reactions: KRG
OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
BMW X5 to hold you over.

Highly rated of course. You Would love going cross country in the X5, IMHO
A PHEV X5 would likely be what I end up with if the R2 either goes up in price or seems like it's not going to be delivered for a while (though I'd still likely get an R2 in the future at some point). Found one for under $25k so it qualifies for the used car $4k tax credit, but don't like that the 2018 models used a 4 cylinder instead of the Inline 6 that the newer PHEV's use. But in a few years, prices will drop on the newer ones, so maybe I'll find one I want.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I’ll also play Devil’s advocate and go against the general sentiment. I bought a brand new Porsche at 24-25 when I got my first real job and I don’t regret it. Even though I could’ve had more money today had I been smarter financially from the get go, I enjoyed my 20s. My only regret is selling it and buying the Range Rover. 😂 I did own a house at the time, but houses were significantly more attainable 10 years ago than they are now.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

To echo what most others have said, I don't think anyone who doesn't already have an R1 is getting an R2 in 2026. We've seen significant overlap between R1 owners and R2 reservations, enough that it will likely max out production for the first 6 months or so.

That said, reading this made me think about the R2 market and how different it is from R1. I would have absolutely stretched for an R2 as a new college graduate and been thrilled with it as my car, replacing my Jeep XJ and an Audi A3. An R1 would have been completely out of my ballpark but with a little scrounging and a few instant noodle dinners a week an R2 would have worked.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I’ll also play Devil’s advocate and go against the general sentiment. I bought a brand new Porsche at 24-25 when I got my first real job and I don’t regret it. Even though I could’ve had more money today had I been smarter financially from the get go, I enjoyed my 20s. My only regret is selling it and buying the Range Rover. 😂 I did own a house at the time, but houses were significantly more attainable 10 years ago than they are now.
I'm already figuring out the house now, and hope to purchase that in 2027-2028. A car is definitely 3rd on my priority list behind investing every month and buying a home, as those are more likely to be appreciating assets, and a car will pretty much always lose money. But I do agree that enjoying life, especially while young, is a good idea.

Sponsored

VegasWeezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Yeah, I'm really not, but will keep my reservation in until we know more information.

On a side note, how do you like your Mach E, and are you planning to replace it with a R2, or get the R2 in addition to the Mach E? I'm seeing some great deals on used Mach E's (though not quite below the $25k mark for the used car $4k credit yet), and with them being open to Tesla Superchargers now, it looks like a pretty compelling option.
I love my Mach E! It’s fun to drive, pretty efficient, good quality build, and has plenty of tech. The plan for the R2 reservation is to replace my wife’s Audi Q4 e-tron. The Audi is a nice car and it’s much more efficient than the Mach E, regularly getting over 4 miles/kwh. It also outperforms its 265 EPA range regularly. My wife loves it, but IMO it really isn’t worth the extra $10k to upgrade from the VW badge to the Audi one, since this is essentially a luxury ID.4.

There are some great prices on used Mach Es right now, and incredible deals on new ones too. There was a dealership in CA selling a new 2023 Premium Extended Range model for $5k under MSRP and offering 0% financing for 72 months.

I do have 2 R2 reservations in case we absolutely love it and decide we both want one. And although I love my Mach E, if our 2nd R2 reservation was ready for delivery in mid 2027, then I would have had my Mach E for 5 years at that point and may be ready to replace it by then.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
To echo what most others have said, I don't think anyone who doesn't already have an R1 is getting an R2 in 2026. We've seen significant overlap between R1 owners and R2 reservations, enough that it will likely max out production for the first 6 months or so.

That said, reading this made me think about the R2 market and how different it is from R1. I would have absolutely stretched for an R2 as a new college graduate and been thrilled with it as my car, replacing my Jeep XJ and an Audi A3. An R1 would have been completely out of my ballpark but with a little scrounging and a few instant noodle dinners a week an R2 would have worked.
It's a totally different market. I've showed a picture of the R2 to my friends, and they all think it looks awesome. This car will attract people young and old. I even know people who could totally afford an R1, but don't feel comfortable paying $80-90k on a car (understandable), who would likely consider the R2 because of it's more reasonable price tag.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I reserved 2 ($200) because I really like my R1T. In 2-3 years who knows where my life will be for me, wife and 2 kids. Seems like a good investment in a company I'm rooting for.

Because I already have an R1, indications are there will be some sort of priority for me an other R1 owners. Timing won't matter as much as need at the time and if I (or any of the family) don't need an R2 I'll pass. If any of the kids have kids and/or get a great job in the US, i'll grab one or two.

FWIW I was an early reservation for a Bronco, Lightning, and Mach-E and never ordered any of them, with significantly more hype than R2. I received a refund each time.

VegasWeezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I have thought a lot about the priority delivery to current R1 owners and I think it’s a mistake. Obviously, I’m biased as I’m not a current R1 owner. However, from a brand marketing and outreach perspective, I don’t think it makes sense. The people that already have the R1 and are looking to add an R2, are already fans and ambassadors of the Rivian brand and lifestyle. They have already been out there talking up EVs and specifically Rivian.

As a business, wouldn’t you want the wider audience, those you’re targeting with the lower price point/smaller vehicle, and the new blood, out there talking up your product? I would think you would want new voices, more voices out there excited about your product.

I’m not suggesting they prioritize the current non R1 owners, I’m just thinking no prioritizing anyone and going on the normal first come first served basis, is the way to go. Maybe I’m wrong, but I would think that’s a better strategy from a brand marketing standpoint.

Reactions: ejh
OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I love my Mach E! It’s fun to drive, pretty efficient, good quality build, and has plenty of tech. The plan for the R2 reservation is to replace my wife’s Audi Q4 e-tron. The Audi is a nice car and it’s much more efficient than the Mach E, regularly getting over 4 miles/kwh. It also outperforms its 265 EPA range regularly. My wife loves it, but IMO it really isn’t worth the extra $10k to upgrade from the VW badge to the Audi one, since this is essentially a luxury ID.4.

There are some great prices on used Mach Es right now, and incredible deals on new ones too. There was a dealership in CA selling a new 2023 Premium Extended Range model for $5k under MSRP and offering 0% financing for 72 months.

I do have 2 R2 reservations in case we absolutely love it and decide we both want one. And although I love my Mach E, if our 2nd R2 reservation was ready for delivery in mid 2027, then I would have had my Mach E for 5 years at that point and may be ready to replace it by then.
Yeah, I go back and forth. I love the price of the Standard Range and like that it has an LFP battery pack. But I feel the range and DC Fast Charge rate is a bit low (220-ish miles of range and only charges at 110-120kw). In Arizona with 75 MPH speed limits, it could be a tiny bit of a stretch (or a long charge in the middle) from Phoenix to Quartzite, and again from Quartzite to Palm Springs area. The Extended Range would help solve that problem (especially the California Route 1 model with it's slightly extended range), but they are a bit more expensive at the moment, especially when I don't NEED a car right now, though will definitely consider if and when I find a good option in the coming months/years.

The ID4 looks compelling too. It looks nice, comes with solid range, and is well built. Just little problems like the fact it didn't come with On Route Battery Preconditioning until the 2024 model year (I'd buy used), and the software for the screen can be a bit clunky (though it's got CarPlay so that isn't a huge deal).

Tesla and Rivian just have all of these little things figured out so well.

Sponsored

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

It's a totally different market. I've showed a picture of the R2 to my friends, and they all think it looks awesome. This car will attract people young and old. I even know people who could totally afford an R1, but don't feel comfortable paying $80-90k on a car (understandable), who would likely consider the R2 because of it's more reasonable price tag.
Sometimes, lol. I had zero interest in the R1. I don’t like trucks, I generally buy smaller vehicles, I live in an urban area, etc etc. R2 attracted me to Rivian. Then I test drove an R1 for the hell of it thinking it would hype me enough to wait for the R2. I didn’t like it and thought it was too big and truck-like, but I kept going back to it in my mind. One time soon after, I test drove a Lucid and used the demo time to drive back over to Rivian to check out the inventory. At that point I knew I was going to buy one.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I have thought a lot about the priority delivery to current R1 owners and I think it’s a mistake. Obviously, I’m biased as I’m not a current R1 owner. However, from a brand marketing and outreach perspective, I don’t think it makes sense. The people that already have the R1 and are looking to add an R2, are already fans and ambassadors of the Rivian brand and lifestyle. They have already been out there talking up EVs and specifically Rivian.

As a business, wouldn’t you want the wider audience, those you’re targeting with the lower price point/smaller vehicle, and the new blood, out there talking up your product? I would think you would want new voices, more voices out there excited about your product.

I’m not suggesting they prioritize the current non R1 owners, I’m just thinking no prioritizing anyone and going on the normal first come first served basis, is the way to go. Maybe I’m wrong, but I would think that’s a better strategy from a brand marketing standpoint.
I tend to agree.

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student
I reserved 2 ($200) because I really like my R1T. In 2-3 years who knows where my life will be for me, wife and 2 kids. Seems like a good investment in a company I'm rooting for.

Because I already have an R1, indications are there will be some sort of priority for me an other R1 owners. Timing won't matter as much as need at the time and if I (or any of the family) don't need an R2 I'll pass. If any of the kids have kids and/or get a great job in the US, i'll grab one or two.

FWIW I was an early reservation for a Bronco, Lightning, and Mach-E and never ordered any of them, with significantly more hype than R2. I received a refund each time.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. I'll likely be buying a new car anyways in Winter/Spring 2026. If the R2 is delivered as promised (price, range, and rough timing) then I think it would be the perfect option for me. But if it get pushed back 12-18 months (or I can't take delivery of a base model one), or the price goes way up, I'll likely just have to get something else and would get an R2 3-5 years later

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

SuEllyn put her deposit down on a Rivian R1 on November 28, 2018. She took delivery of her R1T on April 26, 2023, four years and five months later. We also put in a deposit for an R2. We realize that it will take some time to get the R2. We are hopeful that Rivian will do better on the R2 than they are anticipating. They really need to get the R2 out there quickly if they want to remain in business. We think that producing the R2 in the Normal Plant will give them a shot at this.

Brian

OP
OP

luke_m1

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
College Student

It does seem like not prioritizing R1 owners would be the way to go. I'm not a marketing major (majoring in Finance), but I would think you would want to get as many NEW owners into Rivian products as possible. I get that R1 owners love their vehicles and are passionate about them, but they already own a Rivian product and are already able to market and sell the vehicle to others. By getting the car into new people's hands, you are going to have even more of a positive marketing impact for the company. But, I totally understand how people could see it as a betrayal to the current owners of Rivian's too.

I would agree that a first come first served basis would be the way to go.
Sponsored