Tonneau Talk

lubes

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S pending delivery, BMW i3
any news on when the automatic tonneau will be available again?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
What are the thoughts on how Rivian will execute the replacement of existing tonneau covers and how long will it take to replace all of them?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Is this like Car Talk, will there be weekly installments?

jfew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Curious about the DIY tonneau kit that @Bf3 offers on the Interrobang store. I know they’re 0.5” thick but what are the other dimensions? Are the slide pieces intended to be used with a specific size/style of aluminum fence slat?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bf3

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Curious about the DIY tonneau kit that @Bf3 offers on the Interrobang store. I know they’re 0.5” thick but what are the other dimensions? Are the slide pieces intended to be used with a specific size/style of aluminum fence slat?
The slide pieces are used with the black aluminum “euro style” fence panels that can be purchased from Lowe’s or Home Depot. If you’re going to make your own, you’ll need 11 euro fence panels (although I recommend ordering 1 or 2 extra), the slides, and the weatherstripping that I have linked. You’ll need some sealant or caulk too, I recommend the marine sealant that’s also on the website. There’s a good guide for all the steps floating around here, but I’m also happy to answer any questions during the process.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Has anyone else had issues with the circular velcro pads coming undone from the bottom of the Interrobang Tonneau Covers? I think the sun beating on the surface of the cover heated all the way through to the bottom side and basically cooked the adhesive off. I'm thinking a 3M VHB type of adhesive would be better for this use-case but couldn't find any Velcro VHB strips readily available. I suppose I could try and Goo Gone the remaining adhesive and just apply my own 3M VHB but if there's a readily available option out there, I'm open to suggestions.

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
Yup, just discovered the same on my tonneau. Fortunately it’s just the one closest to the tailgate.

OP
OP
Bf3

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Has anyone else had issues with the circular velcro pads coming undone from the bottom of the Interrobang Tonneau Covers? I think the sun beating on the surface of the cover heated all the way through to the bottom side and basically cooked the adhesive off. I'm thinking a 3M VHB type of adhesive would be better for this use-case but couldn't find any Velcro VHB strips readily available. I suppose I could try and Goo Gone the remaining adhesive and just apply my own 3M VHB but if there's a readily available option out there, I'm open to suggestions.
Yeah, the summer heat is not being kind to the adhesive. I’ve had luck putting a few drops of superglue on before reattaching the pads. As for the VHB Velcro, they do make it, but it’s crazy expensive. I’m working on an alternative solution though.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Hey @Bf3, where do you apply your sealant? I was one of your early "DIY" followers, and I get some leakage that runs down the sides I think. I'm not sure if there's a good fix, but if you apply your sealant somewhere, maybe that'll help with my issue too...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bf3

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hey @Bf3, where do you apply your sealant? I was one of your early "DIY" followers, and I get some leakage that runs down the sides I think. I'm not sure if there's a good fix, but if you apply your sealant somewhere, maybe that'll help with my issue too...
I use the sealant in between the panels that are joined together and to hold the weather stripping into the skinny piece. Unfortunately, with this design I'm not sure you're going to be able to prevent some drips down the sides. I think it does a good enough job, but the bed itself wasn't designed with water tightness in mind. In my personal vehicle, even if 100% of the water was blocked by the tonneau cover, the drains in the rails just go behind the plastic bed liner and it leaks in from around the lights and air compressor. I'm constantly working on improvements, but the rails being the way they are makes it pretty tricky. YMMV.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

also added weatherproof sealant to the OEM manual tonneau along the edges. it was already pretty good about water intrusion and its gotten slightly better with the sealant.

fyi, my tonneau is starting to rust on the underside. luckily, its the broken one that was shipped to me. still waiting for the replacement. but going to treat the new one before i install it.
IMG_6312.jpg
IMG_6311.jpg
Sponsored