First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I am considering pirchasing an R1T with the long range (410 mile) battery pack. My question for those with towing experience is this: If I am towing a 1900 lb RV, what general results might I expect in terms of miles obtained under average conditions driving 65 mph or slower?
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am considering pirchasing an R1T with the long range (410 mile) battery pack. My question for those with towing experience is this: If I am towing a 1900 lb RV, what general results might I expect in terms of miles obtained under average conditions driving 65 mph or slower?
280 miles of range. You are never going to run it empty (hopefully), so 200 - 250 miles between charges.

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I tow an 8000 lb Airstream with my dual motor performance max pack R1T. It’s a great tow vehicle. I tow at 60 - 65 mph. My efficiency averages 1.1 mpkWh in cold weather. The truck will show an estimated range of about 200 mi at 100% SOC. I plan charging stops at 160 mi or so, and have had good experience charging overnight in campgrounds.
Aerodynamics is a big factor, perhaps even more than mass on a long tow. My worst efficiency is on interstates with passing semis, which I try to avoid.

Safe Travels

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I suspect the results will depend on the RV cross sectional area in the direction of travel and how much bigger it is than the trucks cross section. This will be a bigger driver than weight. I have tested a 2500-3000 lb HCT behind the R1T at 65mph and about 50F and obtained 1.7 mi/kWh (21” wheels on our truck). However, the HCT happens to be almost the exact width of the truck and not very tall. I have seen folks get worse results with “teardrops” and better results with pop-ups. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you!

Sponsored

OP
OP

solidshane

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I suspect the results will depend on the RV cross sectional area in the direction of travel and how much bigger it is than the trucks cross section. This will be a bigger driver than weight. I have tested a 2500-3000 lb HCT behind the R1T at 65mph and about 50F and obtained 1.7 mi/kWh (21” wheels on our truck). However, the HCT happens to be almost the exact width of the truck and not very tall. I have seen folks get worse results with “teardrops” and better results with pop-ups. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you!
Thanks. Your 1.7 mi per kwh seems to be in line with the comments from others.

My RV is not a teardrop, just a standard shape RV trailer albeit smaller in height, length, and width. 8' height, 14' length, and 7' width.

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
Are you, by chance, talking about a T@B 320?

If so, expect about 1.3mi/kWh at 70mph. 1.35-1.4 @ 65mph.

Source:
Rivian R1T R1S Towing 2000 lbs with R1T. 20230831_200203~2.JPG

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Depends more on the aerodynamics than the weight. Being only 1900 lb, I'm imagining it's a little pop-up of some kind, so should be aerodynamic. At 65 MPH or slower, you should barely see any hit.

Heck, at 45 MPH, even my "tall teardrop" barely has any impact on range, even though it's ~4000 lbs, and has a big hit at freeway speeds.

Bob Steele

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Taycan, 2022 Defender, 2020 Defender
Occupation
Architect
My R1T typically gets about 2.2-2.3 Mi/KWH, 1.7ish hauling 2-2.5K lbs and about 1.1ish when hauling our 25' Airstream. The max I have hauled is about 8K lbs when towing my Defender on a hauler - the aerodynamics are horrible and averaged about 0.8ish. A bring range when hauling - aerodynamics, weight and weather conditions are the 3 factors I consider. The R1T is a great hauler regardless of the reduced range.
Sponsored