Sponsored

Trailer Valet Blackout 10K Hitch (BSDH0030, Class IV, 2") on a Rivian R1T -- anyone try?

ronj

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Costco has this adjustable drop hitch for $140 and and it's on the Trailer Valet site for $180. Has anyone tried this on the R1T? How's the fit? Is there enough clearance to extend the ball past the bumper? Does the span on the included locking hitch pins work for the beefy R1T hitch receiver? Any thoughts on the quality?
Rivian R1T R1S Trailer Valet Blackout 10K Hitch (BSDH0030, Class IV, 2") on a Rivian R1T -- anyone try? trailervalethitch
Sponsored

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
hey it’s from Costco, buy it and let us know and if it’s NG, return it. This is the way.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've never been a big fan of these types of hitches. I'd rather carry multiple hitches that are already set up for the trailers I use. The ground clearance of the ball mounted downward could be an issue for some of the places I tow.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I've never been a big fan of these types of hitches. I'd rather carry multiple hitches that are already set up for the trailers I use. The ground clearance of the ball mounted downward could be an issue for some of the places I tow.
I have a weigh safe 6 inch drop hitch and there's zero clearance issues with the ground. And even if the truck was sitting at its lowest, with the hitch at its lowest, I cannot fathom a scenario where this would be true.

Are you trying to tow up a 45 degree angle after coming over a deep swale? I'm just curious as to what your use case might be that would actually cause this type of hitch to hit...well anything?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have a weigh safe 6 inch drop hitch and there's zero clearance issues with the ground. And even if the truck was sitting at its lowest, with the hitch at its lowest, I cannot fathom a scenario where this would be true.

Are you trying to tow up a 45 degree angle after coming over a deep swale? I'm just curious as to what your use case might be that would actually cause this type of hitch to hit...well anything?
Sometimes rustic campsites have significant pitch to them and dropoff from the roadway. If you never leave paved/maintained roads, probably not a concern for you.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Sometimes rustic campsites have significant pitch to them and dropoff from the roadway. If you never leave paved roads, probably not a concern for you.
I'm signed up for an off-road course at the end of this month and have a plan to hit some trails down south over the summer.

I also tow my utility trailer out from behind my house which has a significant drainage ditch I have to navigate through. And while a standard hitch on my wife's FXT has dug into the ground if I don't angle her vehicle correctly, our trucks are just that much higher and have better approach and departure angles.

I'm sure there is some bizarro world use edge-case where this could be an issue, but I sincerely doubt 99.9999% of the time a drop hitch on our vehicle will cause any problems whatsoever. But, that's just like, my opinion.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm signed up for an off-road course at the end of this month and have a plan to hit some trails down south over the summer.

I also tow my utility trailer out from behind my house which has a significant drainage ditch I have to navigate through. And while a standard hitch on my wife's FXT has dug into the ground if I don't angle her vehicle correctly, our trucks are just that much higher and have better approach and departure angles.

I'm sure there is some bizarro world use edge-case where this could be an issue, but I sincerely doubt 99.9999% of the time a drop hitch on our vehicle will cause any problems whatsoever. But, that's just like, my opinion.
It's more about dragging the opposing ball on the ground, potentially damaging it versus getting the vehicle hung up at all. You might not even notice that you did it until you go to flip the balls around and there's a big scratch in it.

I've got minor damage on my rear bumper from slightly dragging it on an off-road course. I'd never consider taking a trailer through that stuff though. Friend in a Tacoma with a slight lift regularly drags his receiver in a lot of the spots I can clean.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

It's more about dragging the opposing ball on the ground, potentially damaging it versus getting the vehicle hung up at all. You might not even notice that you did it until you go to flip the balls around and there's a big scratch in it.

I've got minor damage on my rear bumper from slightly dragging it on an off-road course. I'd never consider taking a trailer through that stuff though. Friend in a Tacoma with a slight lift regularly drags his receiver in a lot of the spots I can clean.
Noted.

I appreciate the cautionary tale. I think as long as we're all aware of the terrain we're traversing with our hitches installed, we should be fine with a drop-style hitch.

After all, if I'm not towing anything, the hitch is removed and panel reinstalled. (I keep the hitch in the lower part of my frunk--you know...for the off-chance I have to tow something in an emergency??? :idea: )

Thanks for the discussion!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Being two parts.. do these drop hitches rattle?

I like the protection aspect of the drop hitch... but if it rattles, not so interested.

EDIT.. just found it on Amazon, not great reviews:

Rivian R1T R1S Trailer Valet Blackout 10K Hitch (BSDH0030, Class IV, 2") on a Rivian R1T -- anyone try? 1713364317453-md

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnandkim2

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Supervisor
Yes they rattle. I have the 8 inch drop recently purchased from Costco.com for my R1S. also the locking hitch pin is to short to use. Called the company and they said they would sell me a longer one but it wouldn't be keyed the same as the locking pin on the ball portion

OP
OP

ronj

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Being two parts.. do these drop hitches rattle?

I like the protection aspect of the drop hitch... but if it rattles, not so interested.

EDIT.. just found it on Amazon, not great reviews:

1713364317453-md.png
Nice! I didn't think to try to find it there. Thanks.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been using this drop hitch from Harbor Freight for about 6 months now and I’m pretty happy with it. Used it to pull a 12,000 lb trailer so I know it’s sturdy.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yes they rattle. I have the 8 inch drop recently purchased from Costco.com for my R1S. also the locking hitch pin is to short to use. Called the company and they said they would sell me a longer one but it wouldn't be keyed the same as the locking pin on the ball portion
Thank you!

Considering the rattle factor and the poor reviews, it's a "pass" for me.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thank you!

Considering the rattle factor and the poor reviews, it's a "pass" for me.
IF your heart is set on a drop-style hitch and you don't mind spending a few extra dollars, I'll endorse Weigh Safe, FWIW.

I don't get any rattle at the pin-drop interface, but I did have to add one of those anti-rattle stabilizers where it installs into the receiver, due to the clearances there. The other thing that's nice is you can get pins that are keyed alike (both for the receiver and the drop) so you only need one set of keys.
Sponsored