Sponsored

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
I want my second vehicle to be an EV with only 100 miles of range. Heavy vehicles wear tires faster and pollute via tire dust. Plus the grid here is partially powered by diesel generators, so an inefficient EV like my R1T isn't helping the environment if I have to charge at night. I'm renting my residence so there's no chance I'll install solar plus battery. If EV-to-EV direct charging becomes an option maybe my R1T will be the home battery that I charge during the day on days I'm driving the smaller vehicle.
Our second EV is a Mini Cooper SE, the wife loves it.
Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I just got back from vacation on the big island this week. I was driving a jeep back from the Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea, and saw a limestone Rivian (Or was it El Cap) driving the other direction on my way back to the hotel.

I thought it was a one an a million chance, but now hearing there are around 50 on the islands. I guess it was more inevitable than I thought :like:

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I visited Maui last month, and was surprised at how many R1Ts I saw on the small island. At least one or two a day over the course of a week. Itā€™s the perfect Hawaiian island vehicle!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
@domoplaytime - I got back to the island yesterday, and as soon as we rounded the bend towards Olowalu on the way to Napili, I saw a gray R1T and immediately thought of your truck. Came back to this thread and nope! Yours is blue.

Weā€™re in the anti-Rivian right now (a hemi Charger) so they were probably a little baffled as to why we were waving.

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
@domoplaytime - I got back to the island yesterday, and as soon as we rounded the bend towards Olowalu on the way to Napili, I saw a gray R1T and immediately thought of your truck. Came back to this thread and nope! Yours is blue.

Weā€™re in the anti-Rivian right now (a hemi Charger) so they were probably a little baffled as to why we were waving.
We just got back from a week in Lahaina and saw a Limestone R1T in Paia. Iā€™ve been trying to see if the owner is on RF but donā€™t think so. Was missing my truck desperately driving a rental Kia sedan for six days!

Sponsored

OP
OP
domoplaytime

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Great, informative write-up! Would love to get an update on which smart switch / extension cord you went with. Thanks!
I just received my SplitVolt NEMA 14-30 / 14-50 smart switch. https://splitvolt.com/products/splitvolt-safety-certified-splitter-switch-nema-14-30-14-50

It allows me to use my dryer or charge the EV using the dryer appliance outlet, which is NEMA 14-30 in the rental I'm in. They also sell 10-30 splitters and a variety of other configurations. Once hooked up it displays the voltage, current, energy and power.

Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report: R1T Moved From Seattle to Maui 20230701_164401~2

Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report: R1T Moved From Seattle to Maui 20230701_164518

The EV receptacle came with a warning sticker to lower the vehicle's max current draw to 24 amps while charging, since the 14-30 outlet is only rated for 30 amps (and you only want to use at most 80% of that for sustained use).
Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report: R1T Moved From Seattle to Maui 20230701_164644

My Rivian is not close enough for the mobile charging cable to reach, so I bought a NEMA 14-50 extension cord. Those things are huge! It's almost too big for a Rivian wrist band.
Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report: R1T Moved From Seattle to Maui 20230701_164531

I'm successfully charging now at about 5 or 6 miles per hour, at 5 kW. Or, about the same effective rate as the local 50 kW stations that are down 90% of the time.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
My truck got to take an exciting trip without me. My wife and I have moved to Maui from Seattle, and we explored a number of options for getting our truck there. Here's a short version and a long version of the story.

TL;DR - The truck made it to Maui safely after 27 days in transit, and lost only 24% of battery (72 miles) while in Shipping Mode. Matson did not make it easy for us, but despite the drama and opaqueness we were able to pick up the vehicle at the early end of the estimated window, with no damage.

Long version:

Matson does not ship out of Seattle any more, so our container of household goods had to ship out of Tacoma. We looked into putting the truck directly into the shipping container, but we simply have too much junk for that to have worked. Even if the truck would fit (barely a possibility), the risk of our junk falling and damaging the truck was too high. There's no service center on the islands! Further complicating our plans, Matson suddenly stopped shipping vehicles out of Tacoma. The closest reliable port for shipping vehicles was Oakland. We briefly considered using Pacha instead to ship out of Seattle, but the third party car forwarding services just weren't as reliable as those who ship through Matson. So we opted to send our truck to Oakland and ship from the port there.

Matson imposed several challenges on us. They wanted the vehicle completely empty, so we removed the first aid kit, compressor hoses, flashlight and camp speaker and shipped those in our container separately (but we left the spare with the truck). The vehicle interior and exterior had to be completely clean too, presumably for damage reports on the bill of lading. Also, the USDA in Hawaii thoroughly examines vehicles for soil and invasive species. I had no idea how much debris gets trapped under the frunk hood and under the spare tire cover!

After cleaning the vehicle, we turned off gear guard and put the truck into Shipping Mode, aka 'Ship (Transport)' in the settings interface.

Matson will not ship vehicles with cracked windshield glass, so given the reports of possibly weak Rivian glass we decided to ship via closed transport. I was expecting an 18 wheeler, but instead the driver showed up with a super duty truck and what can best be described as a renovated horse trailer. It gave me slightly more confidence when the driver pointed to the million dollar super car parked inside the trailer, but the process of loading the truck was nerve wracking. The trailer was too narrow for the truck unless the side mirrors were tucked, which makes bird's eye view useless thanks to some questionable design decisions from Rivian about camera placement. The truck was as paranoid as I was and screamed at the driver the whole time. He got it in perfectly with some guidance from me and my wife peeking in through the side loading doors of the trailer.

20230516_140220 - trailer.jpg

20230516_141045 - tight fit looking back.jpg

20230516_141045 - tight fit front.jpg

Matson will not ship EVs with a SoC above 65%. I presumed that was due to the possibility of battery fires, and was perhaps an outdated rule that they wouldn't enforce. I was wrong, and regret charging to 80% before sending our truck off in covered transport. When Matson rejected the driver's delivery, we asked if we could pay him by the hour to take a joy ride around the Bay Area to burn off some power. The driver successfully delivered the truck to Matson with 61% battery. I learned two lessons about Shipping Mode: 1) you can still drive the vehicle, it just doesn't phone home when parked and can't be monitored remotely using the app, and 2) while the vehicle is being driven it actually does phone home, so we monitored the driver's location and the truck's battery while he wheeled around SF.

Screenshot_20230518_124747_Rivian.jpg

Finally, the truck was on its way to Hawaii. We used our Matson booking number to track the progress. It arrived in Honolulu first for USDA inspections, then got loaded onto a Young Brothers barge to Maui. At that point Matson couldn't confirm the location of our vehicle, so we just had to assume it made the barge on time. The next day we received notice that our truck was ready to be picked up from the port. The pickup process was easy, though the vehicle was filthy with dust so it was a bit challenging to check for damage. The only aggravation was that someone decided to close the tonneau cover, which I always leave open. Fortunately it retracted just fine and appears to still be usable. Being so far from a service center, I think I'll wait a while before using it again. C'mon Rivian, give me a vehicle setting to disable the button for the tonneau please!

20230613_104307.jpg

20230613_105839.jpg

20230613_110617.jpg

Before pulling out of the port I decided to preload several new addresses into the truck's navigation system. Sadly I couldn't delete all the old Seattle recent searches, which were mostly the locations of vandalized public charging stations. Then, I discovered Rivian GPS placed my vehicle right in the ocean, and wouldn't let me navigate anywhere. A quick reboot fixed that.

20230613_111157.jpg

What we have observed about EVs on Maui after arriving:
  • In our first two weeks we saw five different Rivians - four different colors (FG, White, Silver and Blue) and at least two different configs with the same color. We saw one on our first day, even though we were way upcountry in a rural setting. There must be at least a dozen on the island.
  • I met one Rivian owner at a charging station and learned quite a bit. There are over 50 Rivians across the islands. A mobile service rep makes the rounds about once a quarter for repairs and recall service operations that can be done as mobile service. The Rivian owner I spoke with was hesitant to bring his vehicle to Maui right away, so he left it in California where he took delivery until he felt comfortable shipping it to Maui. He was charging at one of the more expensive charging stations, ironically located at the HQ of the Maui Electric Company. But overall charging during peak solar production hours is cheap at $0.28/kW if you find the right station, which is less than residential rates here and less than Seattle public charger rates. Maui has a lot of solar generation that has nowhere to go in the cooler morning hours when A/C use is low and fewer people are at home using appliances.
  • The half-dozen L3 charging stations (50 kW max) here are installed and managed by various third parties, and operated by Shell using the Shell Recharge app. The stations are extremely flaky, and often lose their cell data connection that makes the station unusable for extended periods of time. I experienced a down charger that went offline immediately after someone else had a successful charge. An unhappy Leaf owner rolled up after me and complained that this was a common problem, and that the stations seemed especially prone to go offline after being used by a Tesla with a CCS adapter. Somehow that seems fitting. Two other stations have been down recently for much longer, one for weeks and another for months. Maui has vague plans for more charging stations in the future, but it's unclear how serious those are or whether they will include high speed charging above 50 kW. Tesla supposedly also has plans to install a Supercharger station, but it's unclear when and whether they will include CCS. At least Rivian has plans to offer an adapter.
  • The same Rivian driver usually charges at home using his dryer outlet, which is located in his garage. We only have a wall outlet in the garage of our rental, but the dryer is just inside the garage interior door. My wife found a smart switch for NEMA 14-30 dryer / NEMA 14-50 EV dual use, and combined with a NEMA 14-50 extension cord we should be able to charge at home more often. I'll post updates once that gear arrives.
  • Only once have I been able to pull up and charge right away at a public charging station, which luckily was on the day I picked the truck up from the port.
  • According to another EV driver I met, charging infrastructure used to be better two years ago. Systems are often down, repairs take forever, and tons of EV rentals new to the island are clogging the limited infrastructure. As with other aspects of the stereotypical clueless tourist, EV etiquette is not great. We both cursed the Tesla rental camped at the charging station for over two hours.
I was biting my nails reading this amazing story on your R1Tā€™ voyage to Maui. Glad you and the truck made it safely to the islands.. great details and photos, sounds like a real pain to a vehicle by ship over there. Hope all goes well or better with there charging stations. Mahalo šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘šŸ¼

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress

šŸ¤£

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
My truck got to take an exciting trip without me. My wife and I have moved to Maui from Seattle, and we explored a number of options for getting our truck there. Here's a short version and a long version of the story.

TL;DR - The truck made it to Maui safely after 27 days in transit, and lost only 24% of battery (72 miles) while in Shipping Mode. Matson did not make it easy for us, but despite the drama and opaqueness we were able to pick up the vehicle at the early end of the estimated window, with no damage.

Long version:

Matson does not ship out of Seattle any more, so our container of household goods had to ship out of Tacoma. We looked into putting the truck directly into the shipping container, but we simply have too much junk for that to have worked. Even if the truck would fit (barely a possibility), the risk of our junk falling and damaging the truck was too high. There's no service center on the islands! Further complicating our plans, Matson suddenly stopped shipping vehicles out of Tacoma. The closest reliable port for shipping vehicles was Oakland. We briefly considered using Pacha instead to ship out of Seattle, but the third party car forwarding services just weren't as reliable as those who ship through Matson. So we opted to send our truck to Oakland and ship from the port there.

Matson imposed several challenges on us. They wanted the vehicle completely empty, so we removed the first aid kit, compressor hoses, flashlight and camp speaker and shipped those in our container separately (but we left the spare with the truck). The vehicle interior and exterior had to be completely clean too, presumably for damage reports on the bill of lading. Also, the USDA in Hawaii thoroughly examines vehicles for soil and invasive species. I had no idea how much debris gets trapped under the frunk hood and under the spare tire cover!

After cleaning the vehicle, we turned off gear guard and put the truck into Shipping Mode, aka 'Ship (Transport)' in the settings interface.

Matson will not ship vehicles with cracked windshield glass, so given the reports of possibly weak Rivian glass we decided to ship via closed transport. I was expecting an 18 wheeler, but instead the driver showed up with a super duty truck and what can best be described as a renovated horse trailer. It gave me slightly more confidence when the driver pointed to the million dollar super car parked inside the trailer, but the process of loading the truck was nerve wracking. The trailer was too narrow for the truck unless the side mirrors were tucked, which makes bird's eye view useless thanks to some questionable design decisions from Rivian about camera placement. The truck was as paranoid as I was and screamed at the driver the whole time. He got it in perfectly with some guidance from me and my wife peeking in through the side loading doors of the trailer.

Matson will not ship EVs with a SoC above 65%. I presumed that was due to the possibility of battery fires, and was perhaps an outdated rule that they wouldn't enforce. I was wrong, and regret charging to 80% before sending our truck off in covered transport. When Matson rejected the driver's delivery, we asked if we could pay him by the hour to take a joy ride around the Bay Area to burn off some power. The driver successfully delivered the truck to Matson with 61% battery. I learned two lessons about Shipping Mode: 1) you can still drive the vehicle, it just doesn't phone home when parked and can't be monitored remotely using the app, and 2) while the vehicle is being driven it actually does phone home, so we monitored the driver's location and the truck's battery while he wheeled around SF.

Finally, the truck was on its way to Hawaii. We used our Matson booking number to track the progress. It arrived in Honolulu first for USDA inspections, then got loaded onto a Young Brothers barge to Maui. At that point Matson couldn't confirm the location of our vehicle, so we just had to assume it made the barge on time. The next day we received notice that our truck was ready to be picked up from the port. The pickup process was easy, though the vehicle was filthy with dust so it was a bit challenging to check for damage. The only aggravation was that someone decided to close the tonneau cover, which I always leave open. Fortunately it retracted just fine and appears to still be usable. Being so far from a service center, I think I'll wait a while before using it again. C'mon Rivian, give me a vehicle setting to disable the button for the tonneau please!

20230613_104307.jpg

20230613_105839.jpg

20230613_110617.jpg

Before pulling out of the port I decided to preload several new addresses into the truck's navigation system. Sadly I couldn't delete all the old Seattle recent searches, which were mostly the locations of vandalized public charging stations. Then, I discovered Rivian GPS placed my vehicle right in the ocean, and wouldn't let me navigate anywhere. A quick reboot fixed that.

20230613_111157.jpg

• In our first two weeks we saw five different Rivians - four different colors (FG, White, Silver and Blue) and at least two different configs with the same color. We saw one on our first day, even though we were way upcountry in a rural setting. There must be at least a dozen on the island.
  • I met one Rivian owner at a charging station and learned quite a bit. There are over 50 Rivians across the islands. A mobile service rep makes the rounds about once a quarter for repairs and recall service operations that can be done as mobile service. The Rivian owner I spoke with was hesitant to bring his vehicle to Maui right away, so he left it in California where he took delivery until he felt comfortable shipping it to Maui. He was charging at one of the more expensive charging stations, ironically located at the HQ of the Maui Electric Company. But overall charging during peak solar production hours is cheap at $0.28/kW if you find the right station, which is less than residential rates here and less than Seattle public charger rates. Maui has a lot of solar generation that has nowhere to go in the cooler morning hours when A/C use is low and fewer people are at home using appliances.
  • The half-dozen L3 charging stations (50 kW max) here are installed and managed by various third parties, and operated by Shell using the Shell Recharge app. The stations are extremely flaky, and often lose their cell data connection that makes the station unusable for extended periods of time. I experienced a down charger that went offline immediately after someone else had a successful charge. An unhappy Leaf owner rolled up after me and complained that this was a common problem, and that the stations seemed especially prone to go offline after being used by a Tesla with a CCS adapter. Somehow that seems fitting. Two other stations have been down recently for much longer, one for weeks and another for months. Maui has vague plans for more charging stations in the future, but it's unclear how serious those are or whether they will include high speed charging above 50 kW. Tesla supposedly also has plans to install a Supercharger station, but it's unclear when and whether they will include CCS. At least Rivian has plans to offer an adapter.
  • The same Rivian driver usually charges at home using his dryer outlet, which is located in his garage. We only have a wall outlet in the garage of our rental, but the dryer is just inside the garage interior door. My wife found a smart switch for NEMA 14-30 dryer / NEMA 14-50 EV dual use, and combined with a NEMA 14-50 extension cord we should be able to charge at home more often. I'll post updates once that gear arrives.
  • Only once have I been able to pull up and charge right away at a public charging station, which luckily was on the day I picked the truck up from the port.
  • According to another EV driver I met, charging infrastructure used to be better two years ago. Systems are often down, repairs take forever, and tons of EV rentals new to the island are clogging the limited infrastructure. As with other aspects of the stereotypical clueless tourist, EV etiquette is not great. We both cursed the Tesla rental camped at the charging station for over two hours.
Hey there- I shipped R1T to Kauai- departed by trailer 5-1 from Bend, OR to OAK Matson. Arrived LIhue 5-21. Was aware of 65% Matson ship rule. Daughter had shipped her R1S to HNL 2 weeks prior and had same issue as you did- some guy having to drive down battery before loading. My truck was delivered at 63 % and arrived Lihue with 43%. Was in transport mode. The Young Bros. inter island deal complicates it for us outer island guys. YBā€˜s only ships every two weeks to Kauai, miss the date and truck sits another 2 weeks. I got lucky, although I do believe Matson does try and monitor this issue from not happening. I left crossbars on bed. I had shipped 3 other vehicles over to Kauai over last 15 yrs, so kinda knew Matson & Pasha guidelines for ICE vehicles, but the 65% EV rule baffles me. I have Enphase battery back up solar system. Never use other chargers. Entire highway system on Kauai is 57 miles east to west( Napoli Coast separates highway system). We live Hanalei- north shore. Great vehicle for us- no Costco gas line waiting. You are correct on quarterly service from Rivian. Only suggestion I offer is be darn sure your 240 plug in set-up is good. Go on form and read Munro Eng. regarding that issue. Also, post your write up on the Hawaii thread on both forums. Didnā€™t see it on [Banned Site] Forum. Aloha.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

We are considering bringing over the eGolf as our primary island car for that very reason (the Rivian will remain in the bay area for at least a couple of years). It has excellent efficiency, is pretty much dead reliable and has no vampire drain for when we are off-island, and is small and fun to drive.

I canā€™t recommend that car highly enough - itā€™s genuinely excellent as a runabout. We got such an incredible deal on it, too - just before the pandemic ā€¦ but you can get them used for a song, relative to other cars.
šŸ¤™ to the eGolf + R1T combo.
It was our ā€œnice carā€ and first EV so the T is quite the upgradeā€¦
Still, VW makes nice cars. Itā€™s got zip from a stoplight and can also handle the freeway unlike the Fiat 500eā€¦
And with the seats down the back is about the size of the Tā€™s bed! šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

Foggydew

First Name
F John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica
Occupation
Business owner

Long version:

20230613_104307.jpg

20230613_105839.jpg

20230613_110617.jpg

20230613_111157.jpg

I just shipped my brand nee r1t from Oakland to Oahu. I left it in shipping mode. I left it with Matson at the Oakland port on 10/26 and I wonā€™t get it in Honolulu until 11/20 at earliest.
I arrived at 75% charge and they wouldnā€™t accept it. So I drove around until I got it to 66%.
I left the truck in shipping mode. It freaked me out that clothes truck didnā€™t turn off when I walked away. I and some it turns itself off once it is idle for a while?

when matson moves the truck onto the ship will the shipping g mode be maintained or do I need to ask them to reapply shipping mode?

I am worried about the truck arriving in Honolulu with a dead battery.

man, I have been stressing out about is the truck going. To be ok.

11/20 seems like a long ways away!

OP
OP
domoplaytime

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

when matson moves the truck onto the ship will the shipping g mode be maintained or do I need to ask them to reapply shipping mode?
Shipping mode will stay on until you turn it off. You will most likely be fine!

Cyberdan3

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
My family and I are in Maui right now for vacation. This afternoon we're were driving towards Lahaina from the south west part of the island and I saw a blue R1T. Just before this, I told my wife "I bet we don't see any Rivians on this trip (we have a Rivian R1S as well as a Lucid).

Was it you I saw?!

OP
OP
domoplaytime

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

My family and I are in Maui right now for vacation. This afternoon we're were driving towards Lahaina from the south west part of the island and I saw a blue R1T. Just before this, I told my wife "I bet we don't see any Rivians on this trip (we have a Rivian R1S as well as a Lucid).

Was it you I saw?!
Nope, I was upcountry. I've seen at least one other blue R1T. Sometimes I'll see multiple in one day, but I've also gone weeks without seeing one.
Sponsored