Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Let me know if you end up around Colorado, saw your post on the Ikon/Epic boondocking Facebook group while searching in history.

I'm in Tahoe right now, just got here. Got sick of the rain in Oregon and at least it's sunny and warm here. Corn is better than ice... lucky for me I am getting both here :)

I'd definitely go to Colorado if the snow started falling!
Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm in Tahoe right now, just got here. Got sick of the rain in Oregon and at least it's sunny and warm here. Corn is better than ice... lucky for me I am getting both here :)

I'd definitely go to Colorado if the snow started falling!
Iā€™m hearing two of my favorite words, ā€œatmospheric riverā€ by some of the meteorologists here. About to dump. Will be fun to test the camper out in snow.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Iā€™m hearing two of my favorite words, ā€œatmospheric riverā€ by some of the meteorologists here. About to dump. Will be fun to test the camper out in snow.
My brother saw your truck at the chargers in CB! Are you staying warm? šŸ˜. Howā€™s it performing?

ElectricMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Sprinter 1500 Campervan
Clubs

Ecoflow makes power stations that they say can be charged not just with solar panels or a AC outlet, but also at an EV charging station.

Sponsored

ElectricMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Sprinter 1500 Campervan
Clubs

I have seen speculation that the overhang of the camper may interfere with the communications of the shark fin. What is your experience?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I think we are getting there. I would love to see someone remove the roof glass and intergrate a shell that extends from leading edge of the roof (the front applique) all they way to the tailgate and enclose the rear bed. It could be mounted using the standard Rivian rack mount points on the roof and on the bed. I Want to be able to climb up to a bed from the R1T's cab and have a small galley in the truck bed area.
Yeah, Rivian said the top glass would be removable when the R1T was first announced, Jeep-style; sadly, that feature (like the fancy "flops 180 degrees downward" tailgate) were lost.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have seen speculation that the overhang of the camper may interfere with the communications of the shark fin. What is your experience?
no issue. The flat panels are fiber reinforced plastic (FRP).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My brother saw your truck at the chargers in CB! Are you staying warm? šŸ˜. Howā€™s it performing?
Yeah! We were back in Crested Butte. Forgot to take a photo but hereā€™s our boondock site for one night. Taken after taking the camper down in morning.

3 degrees overnight. Stayed 55-60 in the camper with 1500w heater. About 10% battery loss.

Riv I Am

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Awaiting R1T - GW/OC VIN 171xx
Occupation
Health care
Just found this thread and love what youā€˜re doing with your setup. Very seriously considering getting rid of my iKamper and replacing it with this. Will be following this thread very closely. On a random note, what are your thoughts on setting up a small wetbath in the bed. With the T tracks, it shouldnā€™t be too hard to at least put up a shower curtain, then use my compact Kakadu propane shower kit, or possibly get the Joolca one that recycles the water it catches at the base. Iā€™m thinking it wonā€™t require much space and a dometic cassette toilet or laveo can sit in the area and just be moved aside out of the curtained Area when using the shower. It rains all the time on my open truck bed, so Iā€™m wondering if I would even need a separate drain to divert the ā€œgray waterā€ out of the bed. Probably best not to inundate the area with water though. Also, probably pretty easy to come up with a cheap solution to keep it dry.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Updated my starlink set up. Didnā€™t like having to put up and put down everytime I used and routing a cable outside. Since the roof is FRP, I now have dishy mounted inside. Did not want to mount to roof if possible due to cable management. Drilling a hole in my roof was not appealing.

No issue with obstructions or signal and can work when the camper is popped up or down. Pretty satisfied with this solution. Also can be used in motion with priority subscription.

If thereā€™s obstruction (trees) at my site I can pull it off and move it to a clear spot on the ground. Best of both worlds between permanent mounting and not mounting.
Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build 82779FBF-F8E2-48EF-A0CC-555C57C9AF70

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just found this thread and love what youā€˜re doing with your setup. Very seriously considering getting rid of my iKamper and replacing it with this. Will be following this thread very closely. On a random note, what are your thoughts on setting up a small wetbath in the bed. With the T tracks, it shouldnā€™t be too hard to at least put up a shower curtain, then use my compact Kakadu propane shower kit, or possibly get the Joolca one that recycles the water it catches at the base. Iā€™m thinking it wonā€™t require much space and a dometic cassette toilet or laveo can sit in the area and just be moved aside out of the curtained Area when using the shower. It rains all the time on my open truck bed, so Iā€™m wondering if I would even need a separate drain to divert the ā€œgray waterā€ out of the bed. Probably best not to inundate the area with water though. Also, probably pretty easy to come up with a cheap solution to keep it dry.
thereā€™s not a ton of room if you have the bed extension. Moisture inside a pop up camper can be such a challenge I would rather just use an outdoors shower in the summer and pay to use showers at planet fitness, rec centers, ect in the winter.

If youā€™re shorter than 5ā€™8 ish sleeping east west is definitely preferable to keep the bed space as open as possible.

Riv I Am

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Awaiting R1T - GW/OC VIN 171xx
Occupation
Health care
thereā€™s not a ton of room if you have the bed extension. Moisture inside a pop up camper can be such a challenge I would rather just use an outdoors shower in the summer and pay to use showers at planet fitness, rec centers, ect in the winter.

If youā€™re shorter than 5ā€™8 ish sleeping east west is definitely preferable to keep the bed space as open as possible.
Good point about the moisture. Looked more closely and I see that the canvas windows do not zip open to bug netting, but rather clear vinyl. The roof maxx fan would help but probably not be enough. I wouldnā€™t want the bed extender because Iā€™d definitely be able to sleep east to west. Hopefully I get to see one in person sometime. Please keep us in the loop on any add-ons or customizations you do. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Good point about the moisture. Looked more closely and I see that the canvas windows do not zip open to bug netting, but rather clear vinyl. The roof maxx fan would help but probably not be enough. I wouldnā€™t want the bed extender because Iā€™d definitely be able to sleep east to west. Hopefully I get to see one in person sometime. Please keep us in the loop on any add-ons or customizations you do. Thanks!
the windows do open up to bug net. Right now I have vinyl inserts for winter. I think they may be offering an upgraded maxx fan soon. Itā€™s available as an accessory on their site.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Installed v1 of a fairing by CO Fairing Company. We didnā€™t go tall enough with it, causing some noise, so theyā€™re sending a new one. So seeing an initial improvement in range at highway speeds. At 75+ was getting 1.3ish. Now back up to 1.75ish. Will post more info on the fairing when v2 is installed. Also got a larger low power battery on the way. Will edit my first post to include updates I have and will soon put in including a combi microwave/oven/air fryer, fridge (great for post ski cookies), insulation, mounted heater, sink/compost toilet and ski racks.

Iā€™ve found itā€™s been hard to collect useful range data since the energy use also includes power from the inverter. Since I run a space heater regularly now overnight while at a standstill my kWh/mi is skewed low. So far weā€™ve done about 20 nights in the camper all around CO and NM.

Also leveling is a beast. What a great feature. Lots of lookers at A Basin this past weekend. My girlfriend wasnā€™t feeling well in the afternoon so able to take a nap in there while I got a few more laps.
Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build 3A55F3A8-4ABF-495B-91C1-13FA8D0ADF13
Sponsored