First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2008 BMW 135i
Occupation
Medical
I think we are getting there. I would love to see someone remove the roof glass and intergrate a shell that extends from leading edge of the roof (the front applique) all they way to the tailgate and enclose the rear bed. It could be mounted using the standard Rivian rack mount points on the roof and on the bed. I Want to be able to climb up to a bed from the R1T's cab and have a small galley in the truck bed area.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think we are getting there. I would love to see someone remove the roof glass and intergrate a shell that extends from leading edge of the roof (the front applique) all they way to the tailgate and enclose the rear bed. It could be mounted using the standard Rivian rack mount points on the roof and on the bed. I Want to be able to climb up to a bed from the R1T's cab and have a small galley in the truck bed area.
Never seen this before in a camper. You would have to have a way to open and close from the front above the truck cab, otherwise there's no huge advantage of being able to enter and exit from the front. Being able to not have to go outside is nice, especially in winter. Also being able to drive away without exiting is nice if things are sketchy.

I think what you really want is a Rivian Adventure Van (which I would too if it existed).

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
There is a company that designed a setup like this for the Hummer, but it has removable roof panels. Out of Spec reviewed it a few months ago, I will have to find the video Link.

Brinkhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Super interested in one of these. I even emailed Tune to see when they plan to have the changes/modifications done for the Rivian and how long a new order might take. I think a roof rack w/ wind deflector is a must for aero and also visual aesthetics.

Wonder how OP's highway efficiency would change with that addition. For me I visit remote places to camp (death valley, Sequoia's etc) in my R1T so I want as minimal efficiency loss as possible.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Super interested in one of these. I even emailed Tune to see when they plan to have the changes/modifications done for the Rivian and how long a new order might take. I think a roof rack w/ wind deflector is a must for aero and also visual aesthetics.

Wonder how OP's highway efficiency would change with that addition. For me I visit remote places to camp (death valley, Sequoia's etc) in my R1T so I want as minimal efficiency loss as possible.
Tune has talked about something along this lines but they have a lot on their plate. I'm getting a custom fairing made my CO Fairing Company. Will mount the camper's outside T track. Looking forward to seeing how this helps.

Range difference is mostly due to aero (weight is pretty minimal at sub 400 lbs) so going slow such as offroad you shouldn't see a big difference. The big difference is at high speeds and high winds. We just did our first trip into the mountains with it to Crested Butte. Driving around mountain roads I saw about 15-20% range difference. Wind seemed to make a bigger impact as well as speed. I don't do a ton of interstate driving, mostly on winding mountain passes here in CO so I'm always below 65 mph. I would expect if you do a lot of interstate or higher speed you'll see it on the higher end of the spectrum. Generally when I put in a destination my range on arrival was reliably between 10-20% difference. Not bad.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
First Trip: Colorado Springs to Crested Butte. I won't normally post updates on trips since we go skiing pretty much every weekend. But I'll give some insight this time on how it went.

We stayed at Elk Creek Campground in Gunnison since we're not as familiar with boondocking spots around CB. Elk creek has winter accessible RV 50amp plugs which makes it a bit easier for our first trip. About 50 min drive to Mt Crested Butte.

Range loss was reliably 10-20%. The onboard nav computer did a good job accounting it.

Temps were between -5 to 10 degrees overnights. Cold. No wind thankfully. We ran one 1500w electric space heater in the bed using the inverter. This kept the bottom part nice and toasty at 50-55 degrees. but it was colder up top, especially by our heads, around 37-40 degrees. We used an electric blanket plugged into the Jackery. Also don't think heater did a great job at moving heat around and towards our heads which increased condensation. Wasn't dripping but some ice on the metal and around the bottom of the tent fabric. Manageable by popping the tent during the day and letting the Colorado sun take care it. Also having the roof fan was great when it got hot inside during the day and to vent out the camper.

The second night we used shore power to run a second 750w heater which was up by the bed. Kept the whole space at 65 degrees and no condensation, not normal though. I'm also thinking the 1500w heater doesn't have a great fan on it, might try another heater or different placement. TBD.

Looking forward to getting an insulation pack, we loss a lot of heat to the canvas.

Tucked in:
Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_0763

It was awesome having our own space to get ready and hang at Mt Crested Butte, plugged into the Rivian Level 2 chargers (which broke midday Saturday but no biggie) and could change/gear up inside out of the cold.
Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_0768

Our dog, Obi standing watch:
Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_0778

Bonus vid, took Obi for his first ski tour:

Last edited:

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for posting...A couple of thoughts:
  • I imagine Obi slept well that night
  • I cringed seeing the skis leaning against the side of your truck...With my luck I'd have a perfect arc etched in the side of my vehicle marking the direction in which the skis fell!
Glad the Tune works so well for you and a bunch of us appreciate the posts - even though I have a R1S and it's not really an option for me!

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for posting...A couple of thoughts:
  • I imagine Obi slept well that night
  • I cringed seeing the skis leaning against the side of your truck...With my luck I'd have a perfect arc etched in the side of my vehicle marking the direction in which the skis fell!
Glad the Tune works so well for you and a bunch of us appreciate the posts - even though I have a R1S and it's not really an option for me!
Yeah he was toasty for sure. We were not as toasty up top but dog comes first.

The wing extrusions work for leaning skis against camper! But it's not great, I agree Bit of a disaster waiting to happen. I have a rubber magnetic ski holder but I accidentally buried in under my stuff, it worked okay later when I dug it out. The camper sort of makes it difficult to use. Was thinking of making a removable ski holder that would quick mount with the t track but that's low on the project list.

Also got a ski rack set up for the roof but didn't have the right hardware. Will be mounting that this week. The wing extrusions made it possible to carry my 185 cm skis inside the cabin in a bag at a diagonal. Probably could fit 191cm bent chetlers too.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Were you able to make Colorado Springs to Gunnison without stopping to charge?
No, 15 min stop in Salida RAN. Stopped for dinner too. But I couldn’t make that trip without charging before the camper. Getting over Monarch pass takes a lot of power.

I could do COS-CB via cottonwood pass without charging and starting with 100% power but that’s closed.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
No, 15 min stop in Salida RAN. Stopped for dinner too. But I couldn’t make that trip without charging before the camper. Getting over Monarch pass takes a lot of power.

I could do COS-CB via cottonwood pass without charging and starting with 100% power but that’s closed.
That's what I would have guessed but figured I'd ask. I've done CB over Cottonwood with plenty of margin for a couple nights of camping up off of Gothic (bed rack and RTT with a mountain bike on the hitch, so not the most aero), so I'd think this camper would be able to make it with a 20% hit to range. We have a Turtleback trailer and do Fourmile and back without charging, but dealing with charging while towing in BV or CB has been enough of a deterrent that I haven't pushed further. Seems like the Tune camper would be a good option since you don't have to worry about pull through chargers or dropping the trailer.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That's what I would have guessed but figured I'd ask. I've done CB over Cottonwood with plenty of margin for a couple nights of camping up off of Gothic (bed rack and RTT with a mountain bike on the hitch, so not the most aero), so I'd think this camper would be able to make it with a 20% hit to range. We have a Turtleback trailer and do Fourmile and back without charging, but dealing with charging while towing in BV or CB has been enough of a deterrent that I haven't pushed further. Seems like the Tune camper would be a good option since you don't have to worry about pull through chargers or dropping the trailer.
Salida RAN has a pull through charger. The CB fast charger is one of the most uncomfortable chargers I’ve used. That parking lot is a post stamp and always packed. Good news is that they fixed the cord. Gunnison fast charger is still a work in progress.

The BV charger is highway robbery at ~$1.20 per KWH peak, I refuse to use that.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Salida RAN has a pull through charger. The CB fast charger is one of the most uncomfortable chargers I’ve used. That parking lot is a post stamp and always packed. Good news is that they fixed the cord. Gunnison fast charger is still a work in progress.

The BV charger is highway robbery at ~$1.20 per KWH peak, I refuse to use that.
We'll hit Salida, but usually head West on 24 instead of 50. I'm hoping that we see a fast charger with pull through in Johnson Village at some point...

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Temps were between -5 to 10 degrees overnights. Cold. No wind thankfully. We ran one 1500w electric space heater in the bed using the inverter. This kept the bottom part nice and toasty at 50-55 degrees. but it was colder up top, especially by our heads, around 37-40 degrees. We used an electric blanket plugged into the Jackery. Also don't think heater did a great job at moving heat around and towards our heads which increased condensation. Wasn't dripping but some ice on the metal and around the bottom of the tent fabric. Manageable by popping the tent during the day and letting the Colorado sun take care it. Also having the roof fan was great when it got hot inside during the day and to vent out the camper.
FWIW the insulation kit in my camper made a big difference but obviously not apples to apples. I found my roof was pretty well insulated but the composite walls got cold. I can imagine canvas would be worse and I don’t know what the roof of yours is made of.

For the lower portion of the camper I stuffed foam board insulation anywhere I could fit it. I also made window covers and a fan cover, they are 3 layers fabric, Insulbright and Reflectex and then sowed around the edge. My weak point is still the tailgate.

As for heater I bought a Dreo heater on Amazon. It is compact and has 3 power settings (900,1200,1500) also has a digital thermostat so you can set a temperature. Full disclosed the oscillating feature broke on my first one but the company sent me a replacement, I just had to send them a video of It.

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_5394

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_5393

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_5392

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_5391

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_5376

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build IMG_5376

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
We'll hit Salida, but usually head West on 24 instead of 50. I'm hoping that we see a fast charger with pull through in Johnson Village at some point...
Yep it’s the better route in the summer.
FWIW the insulation kit in my camper made a big difference but obviously not apples to apples. I found my roof was pretty well insulated but the composite walls got cold. I can imagine canvas would be worse and I don’t know what the roof of yours is made of.

For the lower portion of the camper I stuffed foam board insulation anywhere I could fit it. I also made window covers and a fan cover, they are 3 layers fabric, Insulbright and Reflectex and then sowed around the edge. My weak point is still the tailgate.

As for heater I bought a Dreo heater on Amazon. It is compact and has 3 power settings (900,1200,1500) also has a digital thermostat so you can set a temperature. Full disclosed the oscillating feature broke on my first one but the company sent me a replacement, I just had to send them a video of It.

IMG_5394.jpeg

IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5392.jpeg

IMG_5391.jpeg

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5376.jpeg
Cute pup.
Mine has a FRP roof. Hard to tell with the canvas that is not great. Going to see how the thermal pack does, thats 600g thinsulate that goes over the canvas. I’ll be able to install and leave it on for the winter. Should be getting it next month. After that I’ll trouble shoot some more.

Let me know if you end up around Colorado, saw your post on the Ikon/Epic boondocking Facebook group while searching in history.
Sponsored