First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
It’s installed! Drive home I had 1.69 mi/kWh going 65-75mph. I averaged 1.81 mi/kWh. Not bad. Considering some sort of aero improvements m.

Putting it to use this weekend in Crested Butte.

Kyle from Out of Spec reached out on doing a video. Hopefully he can dig into some of the nerdier details.

Video walkthrough:

441CB554-53EC-42FE-AB54-6B92A0D9C31F.jpeg
What is the weight of the unit? Curious in comparison with the tent options out there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wish the top went up like a Westfalia, so you'd have a little more headroom at the pickup bed side of things. But, hey, I'm no longer a camper so to each their own.
I’m 6’1 and I got around a foot above my head to the roof when standing in bed.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

OtterTruck

First Name
Missy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Manufacturer/Gramma/Dreamer
Man this alone makes me wish I had gotten the T instead of the S. But I do love my S.
Your S adores you, never look back. For a second in time I wished I had ordered one of the beautiful, bright colors the T's came in.... but flashbacks from my bright Purple and Teal Gasoline Vehicles days, of Red & Blue lights and handsome gents in uniform... sigh....asking me for my license, registration & insurance, snap me back into the future of blending and representing being GREEN, and all that means. "No regrets, baby, nor surrender.." The Boss Love Gramma

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I gotta ask a stupid question.. How do you open the truck bed when your inside it?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Below 400lbs.
Thanks...this is doable, but hopefully people do the old backpack thing of weighing everything because there is a limit. My R1T with underbody shield and full-size spare has a load limit of 1387lbs. Take away 400lbs for the unit and another 400 lbs for self & wife with winter clothes, plus two large dogs at 120lbs total and I'm down to just over 450lbs for food, water, laveo toilet, privacy tent, dometic fridge, dog pads, heater, Jackery, cookware, odds and ends. Water and food weigh more than you would think. So, yeah, doable, but with some care.

Is not a slide-in camper to my mind (explicitly prohibited in the manual), but wonder if there has been any discussion with Rivian on this...

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
do you know what the height is with the tune closed and the r1t set to low/medium/high? trying to figure out if this will fit in the garage...
85 inches on standard without vent. With vent 90 inches.
Low is 83 and 88 w/ vent.
high is 87 and 92 w/vent. high is cutting it close on my garage.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks...this is doable, but hopefully people do the old backpack thing of weighing everything because there is a limit. My R1T with underbody shield and full-size spare has a load limit of 1387lbs. Take away 400lbs for the unit and another 400 lbs for self & wife with winter clothes, plus two large dogs at 120lbs total and I'm down to just over 450lbs for food, water, laveo toilet, privacy tent, dometic fridge, dog pads, heater, Jackery, cookware, odds and ends. Water and food weigh more than you would think. So, yeah, doable, but with some care.

Is not a slide-in camper to my mind (explicitly prohibited in the manual), but wonder if there has been any discussion with Rivian on this...
Yes, weight is a concern but not significantly. IMO as long as I'm not dramatically over the weight limit we're fine, especially with only two people. There's always some wiggle room with those.

I'm not sure what Rivian would provide. They'll like be hesitant to make any comment due to liability. If there is obvious damage to the vehicle due to the camper it's going to be covered via warranty as a third party accessory, but its also not a slide in camper as you mentioned. I reached out for specifications on the tolerances of the accessory attachment points and got crickets.

The concern Tune had was due to the cantilever putting extra pressure on the back mounting points when there's weight in the front. They had an engineer do some tests on it and were confident. One recommendation they had was when removing snow, remove it from the back first.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I gotta ask a stupid question.. How do you open the truck bed when your inside it?
Good question, Tune is developing a button mechanism to access the tailgate and gear tunnel buttons. They'll be installing that once it is complete. If they aren't able to do that they'll drill holes so I can access it. For now I have to use the app or my fob if there's no service.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

My dad had three pop up campers. One on an Chevy C2500 ext cab, one on an F250 ext cab and one on a quad cab TRD Taco. He went all over Baja with them for weeks at a time. Used the back seats to store an Achilles to dive off.

I think a modular setup might be cool. Something along the lines how https://happiercamper.com/ does it.

Maybe legs that store in the tunnel to remove the camper. Occasionally my dad would remove his. The legs were bolt on.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Figured out how I’m going to mount my starlink. Need to swap the mounting hardware, I have the wrong bolt but it works for now. Will take this down when driving. Plan on snaking the cord through the gaps in the tailgate.

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build 3DFC8543-6082-4505-AB44-81D3FEC125D1