Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yeah, that ain't Rivian's fault, that's your state.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Every state is different. In NJ my new vehicle registration is good for 4 years. After that I believe it is about $290 every year after that. There are also no sales tax or inspections required.

I never talk about insurance costs because I have two teenage sons driving and that crushed my costs. Too many variables to compare that one.

Last edited:

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
$4k for insurance is also not Rivian's fault. Because there are so many variables it's impossible to compare absolute numbers, but relatively my R1T costs me only about 10% more than my non-premium Honda. If you're paying significantly more, get another insurance company.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Every state is different. In NJ my new vehicle registration is good for 4 years. After that I believe it is about $290 every year after that. There are also no sales tax or inspections required.
West of the Delaware, we don't get an extended registration for new vehicles, and EV's will soon pay $290/year at registration renewal time. EV's in the Commonwealth do not enjoy the exemption from sales tax enjoyed by our neighbors to the east, so we pay 6% on the vehicle purchase. We also have to pay for annual inspections, done at a service station, and often costing as much as $100, though the price can be half that if you look around.

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
$4k for insurance is also not Rivian's fault. Because there are so many variables it's impossible to compare absolute numbers, but relatively my R1T costs me only about 10% more than my non-premium Honda. If you're paying significantly more, get another insurance company.
I guess I really need to shop around. I pay about $1,600 yearly for my Telluride and though I don't yet have my Rivian, my insurer, USAA, wants that amount every 6 months to add an R1S.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

$1000/year insurance and $225 biannual registration. Gotta love the military out-of-state exemption!

Your Rivian weighs a ton more than your Silverado and your Rivian pays no gasoline tax.
Heavier vehicle does more wear to the road, @-0-coach-0- they gotta get road funds from you somehow.

Look at my vehicle renewal.... it's the same or increasing every year, thanks to the never-ending tax increases for transportation spending (always over budget, never on schedule).

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.39.31 PM.png
Well that's because you're on the east side of the Sound. Kitsap peninsula crews and contractors stick to schedule AND budget. Hell, I bought a Land Rover when I was in Seattle just because the roads to get to work were so jacked up in SoDo. I recently learned about the Kitsap online pothole request and submitted a couple, they were fixed the next day!

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
R1T doesn't have to pay RTA tax because it's not a passenger vehicle.

R1S pays RTA tax based on MSRP, like any other passenger vehicle.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Your complaints should be with your local government and your insurance carrier, not Rivian.

As you live in California, high taxes and insurance rates should not be a surprise. Expensive things are expensive to insure. I’d try AAA/ CSAA for your insurance as it is likely to be cheaper than what you’re paying.

The registration costs are in-line with what we pay here in Denver. Doesn’t seem worthy of a complaint.

Nacho Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Clubs

So between insurance and Registration the costs with a Rivian are ridiculous. Insurance is $4000 a year and registration is $1200!!! WTF. I love the truck but no way it should be so much more than my 2018 GMC 1500 which was fully loaded. My old registration was $400 and insurance was $1200 a year. So instead of $1600 a year it is $5200!!!

IMG_1012.jpeg
I feel your pain but no one can avoid fees... Enjoy your R1 when you can.... Increase your deductible to $2000... it will lower insurance.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Another owner who didn’t thoroughly research ownership cost before deciding to buy? CADMV site has free fee calculator that would have given an idea on what to expect for registration and renewal. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehic...ion-fees/vehicle-registration-fee-calculator/

$4K a year for insurance? Does that come with lube, because you sure are being bent over. That's 4 times what I pay with State Farm.
Coverage. For instance, if totaled, SF gives market value at time of loss. Rivian/Nationwide has new car replacement. SF does not cover off-road damage. Rivian/Nationwide does not specify use on pavement only.

Last edited:

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I just got me CA license renewal and it's just a bit over $1300 - I'll trade you!

Seriously though, in our case, the license fees are based on the sales price of the car so the more $ the car, the more $ for license. Additionally, an equally priced R1T will cost more to license than the R1S because is has a truck bed and thus comes with commercial plates - my friends who own trucks affectionately call this the truck-bed tax. That's Sacramento at it's finest and nothing to do with or against Rivian.

As for insurance, that's totally different craps table to figure out based on your personal driving history, where you live, miles driven per year, how pissy your insurance company is on any given day, etc. I'm with State Farm, have been with them forever and day and my insurance is about $1500/year.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

So between insurance and Registration the costs with a Rivian are ridiculous. Insurance is $4000 a year and registration is $1200!!! WTF. I love the truck but no way it should be so much more than my 2018 GMC 1500 which was fully loaded. My old registration was $400 and insurance was $1200 a year. So instead of $1600 a year it is $5200!!!

IMG_1012.jpeg
I also live in OC, but my R1S renewal is $900.
I don’t pay weight fee, even though GVWR is the same?

Boo23

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
CEO
I insure 5 vehicles with Liberty including R1S for $4k.
Ownership tax (plates)in CO is horrific I once paid well over $3k for a Mercedes AMG GT S. I’m in the process of taking them to court re. their refund/credit stance when you change vehicles.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
While I don't trust insurance companies to be truthful, my premium is almost the same for 2010 Acura, 2017 Mazda and R1. Some numbers are higher for Mazda. Not sure who is buying those Mazda CX-9s🤦
Sponsored