Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Anyone know if this is a mobile fix or in SC?
Sponsored

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It sounds like a mess of metal panels stacking into a tin box. Without a full redesign, it doesn't seem like much is going to change that.

Let's just hope it works reliably. OP, please get back to us in a few weeks with good news. đź‘Ť
That full redesign you think you know would encroach on gear tunnel—a key selling point—and would not be retrofitted to existing vehicles. Translation: a sure way to sink the company.

You don’t rip down the whole house just because of one misaligned door.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Over a year and 20K miles and my original one sounds exactly the same, if not a little better as yours has a little whine sound mine does not.

kuau

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if Rivian will replace my 1.0 auto cover even if it’s still working ?

carlthelemann

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

The rubber seal at the end doesn't compress as much as the original design. Concerned that more water will make its way into the bed along that interface.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Another dual motor design from Rivian?

Sponsored

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Over a year and 20K miles and my original one sounds exactly the same, if not a little better as yours has a little whine sound mine does not.
Yep! 11,000+ miles here on my tonneau cover that still works and sounds about like yours. I hope the new ones work longterm?

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Finally! It’s less noisy and operates more smoothly.

Ooooh, that is MUCH quieter and smoother than mine (when mine decides to even work at all).

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
It sounds like a mess of metal panels stacking into a tin box. Without a full redesign, it doesn't seem like much is going to change that.

Let's just hope it works reliably. OP, please get back to us in a few weeks with good news. đź‘Ť
That full redesign you think you know would encroach on gear tunnel—a key selling point—and would not be retrofitted to existing vehicles. Translation: a sure way to sink the company.

You don’t rip down the whole house just because of one misaligned door.
Sure agreed. Are there people suggesting a full redesign and as part of that redesign, getting rid of the gear tunnel?

I'm saying that stacking metal in a metal box is going to make a certain amount of noise as a baseline. Many people are saying it sounds about the same and that isn't a big surprise. The new retrofit could improve on the overall noise, but probably not much where that stacking/unstacking is concerned.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
4-5 hours at a SC.
Not quite. Had mine done today and also had a misaligned lower trim panel finally replaced and it was only about 2 hours.

But here is a really funny story. I washed the truck yesterday afternoon after it collected a month worth of mud and other stuff during hunting season. I misjudged just how long the muddy interior and wheels would take, and by the time I got to actually power foaming it and went to wash it, the sun had set and I was pushing frozen suds. Pulled it in my detached unheated garage, and opened the tonneau about halfway to let the bed dry. Was a little worried with the few thin spots of ice on it, but it opened fine. Well today I had about a 2 hour drive to the service center and stopped for about 10 minutes at a charger about halfway. I had forgotten about leaving the tonneau half open, so decided to close it for the rest of the trip. There was still some ice on it since it was in the 20s this morning. Well about 2 slats came out and it came to a grinding halt. Wouldn't budge either direction. After 16 months of flawless operation, I joined the gang of those with broken tonneaus an hour before it was replaced.

I opened and closed it once. Looks about the same and sounds about the same to me. I don't think I'll give this new one any ice challenges though.

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
My OG is much louder and harsher than this, and really "jerks" on each slate while closing. But it's been working that way since delivery and still working over a year later. I also religiously slide grease it.
When I open mine, I push down on the center of each slat as it makes its way under the panel by the window, I’ve found that that’s where the clicking usually comes from as they bang into the overhead panel on their way in.

Still crossing my fingers on keeping my OG cover working as it has for my current 16k miles, but this seems to help.
Sponsored