Sponsored

What is the biggest glaring "miss" you see with the R1x?

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
For me, it's a power running board. I feel like this should have been an extremely high priority on a luxury, ultimate off-roader. In terms of practicality it boggles my mind how they could be futsing about with camp kitchens and whatnot while there's still like a 12" clearence at the lowest ride height from the door sill.

It's also a cool "techy" feature that already exists and is kind of the best way to do a running board. I feel like Rivian could have easily built something into the molding even to maintain aerodynamics.

I'd want this 10x more than a powered cover over a manual one, for instance.

Completely unforgivable to have a car of this quality, this capable, this expensive and not have this thought through better.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree there should be some kind of step there, but for heavy off-roading rock sliders or nerf bars are more helpful. Those automatic steps/ running boards can get easily damaged on tougher trails. Toyota puts these Predator step/ rock sliders on their trucks and while I have bashed my shins on them a few times :swear:, they have also saved the body of my truck a few times too…

Rivian R1T R1S What is the biggest glaring "miss" you see with the R1x? 1661435093456

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
An option for no sunroof. I would rather not have it getting the cab hot, worrying about it cracking, and maybe it would even increase range slightly by lowering the weight

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Agree, running boards would be nice, but I personally would have ordered mine with fixed running boards and not the electrics.

IMO, I think the biggest miss is the apps on the infotainment center. The normal person these days has a million apps on their phone or other personal devices. To this point the fact there's only two app's on there (Spotify & Tune-in) is just a head scratcher to me. Close behind the lack of app's miss is the tonneau cover. I get they wanted to get as many trucks out as quick as possible, but putting out a product that you know is extremely flawed and will need to be physically altered in the near future just seems like a WTF are you thinking moment..

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Echoing one of the above - Running boards - powered or fixed

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Sliding rear window.

When my R1T was in for service, I got a Tacoma as a rental that had a little sliding rear window that was motorized. My old Tacoma had a manual one. Having a sliding rear window is SO much nicer for having the windows open and it still being fairly quiet. Fresh air is the best air.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I absolutely don't want running boards like that. I don't see a need for them, the truck isn't that difficult to get into, even in the highest setting. I *would* like rock sliders that don't get in the way though.

OP
OP
Bee

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I agree there should be some kind of step there, but for heavy off-roading rock sliders or nerf bars are more helpful. Those automatic steps/ running boards can get easily damaged on tougher trails. Toyota puts these Predator step/ rock sliders on their trucks and while I have bashed my shins on them a few times :swear:, they have also saved the body of my truck a few times too…

1661435093456.jpeg
I don't disagree, but a charging door that you push to open is probably objectively better too. I only put out retractable ones because it fits more with the Rivian feel.

I'd welcome your options.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I agree on two of the points brought up. Nix the glass roof and add the sliding rear window. I would also like to see Rivian offer the sliding tool drawers in the gear tunnel as they have in their service R1T's.

Brian

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Biggest miss in my opinion would be the lack of camera for the tow hitch. Everything else that I have complaints with can be fixed via software. But no physical camera directly over the trailer hitch makes lining up towing a bit more involved.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
High functionality tailgate like the Hummer's MultiPro. A lower loading frunk like the F150's.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don't disagree, but a charging door that you push to open is probably objectively better too. I only put out retractable ones because it fits more with the Rivian feel.

I'd welcome your options.
Honestly your retractable steps might be useful to more owners - the majority of Rivian owners probably won’t be doing heavy off roading. I guess this is why many manufacturers offer convenience packages vs off road packages.

Although I’ve personally always found truck steps (of any style) to be useless without a handle inside to help with actually turning to sit in the seat.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is why it makes sense to not include it, because immediately there is a difference in opinion on what it should be from two different owners. And they can't offer both options at this stage in their life. Down the road, perhaps, but not now. Better to leave it to owners to do what they want aftermarket and make their life easier. Offering either won't lead to more revenue, so it's just cost and complexity for no benefit right now. When they are more mature, they can charge for it as an option.

It's sort of similar to the center floor storage area. People say there should be organization there, and then immediately there are 100 different opinions/solutions for what that means, including some that want to leave it as is. Which leaves the best option being a blank slate for people to do what they wish.
Sponsored