Sponsored

What is the biggest glaring "miss" you see with the R1x?

bigbop41

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Tahoe
Umm, except when you have cargo on the bed, or the back of the R1S loaded with kid's shit.
Pretty sure he was saying you can just choose the rear view camera on the center display while driving as an option still to see behind you.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Pretty sure he was saying you can just choose the rear view camera on the center display while driving as an option still to see behind you.
Yeah, I know, but that's a different vantage point and focal length (fisheye) and that exists in all of the vehicles that have the video rear view mirror (even if not on as big of a screen, but neither is the mirror option). It also requires going into a menu to enable vs. just looking at the mirror. So it's a reasonable alternative, but doesn't necessarily negate the value of the camera based mirror.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Excuse me sir, the question was clearly for the ONE biggest glaring miss. Please choose one and edit accordingly.

However, it's a glowing endorsement that these insignificant things are all you have, and you clearly dug deep.
ok Rivian fanboy, thanks for the tip.

SJCr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 BMW 740e 22 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Livery
My dislikes with R1S

From the perspective of someone that would like to replace a
Suburbanā€¦

Glass Roof

Lack of Running Board

Lack of 2nd Row Captains Chair Option

2nd row is awkward to adjust w/multiple controls

2nd row hits back of front row if lowered in certain position, the Venice displays are already scarred up!

3rd row extremely awkward to get in for someone who isnā€™t young and nimble

Rear cargo space is only enough for 2 suitcases, a Suburban can take 5-6 full size suitcases.

Rivian wants to make a difference environmentally, they can replace thousands of GM livery suvs that circle every major city and airport in America. R1S is the closest that any maker has even attempted, but not quite there yet.

Once the growing pains of production are overcome I hope they can produce a bigger R1S. Dial back the off-road crap and focus on interior space/comfort and cargo room. Itā€™s cool that I can ford a river in the R1S but Iā€™d trade that for a longer wheelbase!

Sponsored

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Lack of CarPlay.

The media in the Rivian is absolutely trash. Spotify doesn't sync right, is BEYOND slow at loading, and quality is fine at best. TuneIn might as well not exist, but I get it for people who still want to radio stations. CarPlay means I get to use the apps I want, in a UI meant for a car, and the apps are always up-to-date (since the developer gets to update it and not Spotify).

The map in Rivian is beautiful even though traffic colors tend to load when I am sitting in it, but I'd much rather have Waze running.

The fact that SO many people are asking where to mount their phone shows that Rivian missed the boat on this one. Now, being that Rivian's OS seems to be Android based, I am hopeful for more apps. If they added the GooglePlay store like Volvo I'd be set, but I don't see that happening.

Oh, and I want to use Siri when I press and hold the steering wheel button, not Alexa. If I'm going to use one moronic assistant, I'd rather it be one built into my phone.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I can't pick just one. I'm really excited for the R1S, but there are some obvious misses.

Android auto
Cupholders
Android auto
Glove box
Running boards
Android auto
2nd row captains seats
Lane centering that works on unmapped roads
AC vents that can be adjusted manually.

WTF Rivian? Technology should make things easier and quicker, not harder and slower. Who thought it was a good idea, other than Elon, to make a driver take their eyes off the road and click on a touch screen to adjust vents. It only took a second to move vents the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
You could fill a river with the tears shed over Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
Just like physical buttons, we like to hold onto the past. Hear that Blackberry?!

Lesyo64

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Flat tow capability as first marketed.
Would still like a tank turn even at a slower rate.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I miss capacitive door handles for lock and unlocking.

I'd use the wrist band if it fit. Nfc cards are just as dysfunctional as using the fob.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
1 - Ditch the propriety crossbar mounting portals for a more universal solution. The current crossbars setup is way too limiting. I seriously donā€™t understand why they chose to go this route.
Is it just because you want different spacing?

I love the crossbars. Look good, and fantastic design.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Is it just because you want different spacing?

I love the crossbars. Look good, and fantastic design.
For me, YES.. Spacing is a critical issue, especially on the R1S, where I will need to mount my RTT. As currently configured, it wonā€™t work. Beyond that, currently, mounting any sort of rack that doesnā€™t involve Rivian crossbars is an issue on both the R and the S. When I have reached out to Rivian about other rack options or if they were aware of any aftermarket efforts, they have pretty much just said, ā€œNO. Next question.ā€

The Rivian crossbars do look nice, are clever and convenient, to a point. However, I much prefer function over looks and they fall short in that department. IMHO, with an adventure vehicle or a pickup, the options for racks should be limitless. There should be universal mountIng sites. Iā€™m not sure when or if the aftermarket will solve this issue - hopefully by the time I get my R1S. Even, on this forum, you see people trying to modify racks for their R1Tā€™s, but they are sketchy. Those Rivian mounting portals appear to be a problem. Even Rivianā€˜s partner, Yakima, appears to have walked away from making anything beyond the crossbars. One would think, Yakima would have gleefully provided other rack solutions, if they could possibly work. They do, after all, have some larger racks that are available for most other vehicles.

Sorry for the rant, but you asked šŸ˜Š

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Reading through this thread and other online forums makes me realize a lot of quality of life misses. It reminded me of the "Always Learning" video except I'm starting to doubt if anyone doing the design research was thorough enough.

To be fair, it sounds like the video was focused on the "adventure life" and not so much the everyday driving experience. Still some glaring misses though.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
For me, YES.. Spacing is a critical issue, especially on the R1S, where I will need to mount my RTT. As currently configured, it wonā€™t work. Beyond that, currently, mounting any sort of rack that doesnā€™t involve Rivian crossbars is an issue on both the R and the S. When I have reached out to Rivian about other rack options or if they were aware of any aftermarket efforts, they have pretty much just said, ā€œNO. Next question.ā€

The Rivian crossbars do look nice, are clever and convenient, to a point. However, I much prefer function over looks and they fall short in that department. IMHO, with an adventure vehicle or a pickup, the options for racks should be limitless. There should be universal mountIng sites. Iā€™m not sure when or if the aftermarket will solve this issue - hopefully by the time I get my R1S. Even, on this forum, you see people trying to modify racks for their R1Tā€™s, but they are sketchy. Those Rivian mounting portals appear to be a problem. Even Rivianā€˜s partner, Yakima, appears to have walked away from making anything beyond the crossbars. One would think, Yakima would have gleefully provided other rack solutions, if they could possibly work. They do, after all, have some larger racks that are available for most other vehicles.

Sorry for the rant, but you asked šŸ˜Š
Not a rant. I asked. You answered. Regarding the RTT, I would have assumed the crossbars would work well, considering Rivian is selling a RTT. Or do you want to use a different tent that requires different spacing? Specific to the R1S, there are three different mounting points for the crossbarsā€¦. Are you saying the front too are too close together but the front and rear are too far apart?

Iā€™ve had roof racks on a few vehicles and the Rivian so far has been the most convenient, by far. The t-slots are easy to access and I am able to install and uninstall my 1up bike rack in just a couple minutes and it looks great both ways. I have OEM crossbars on my Volvo XC60 (made by Thule) and although it also has t-slots, there is a rubber piece that you have to cut, and then installing and removing the rack is more work and you have to choose to either be ugly (cut rubber piece when bike rack not in place) or you have to buy a second set of rubber and swap them depending on what accessory you have installed.
Sponsored