Sponsored

Which is better? constant 70% vs up & down btw 70% - 20% ?

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

My commute is short.
If I leave in the morning with 70%, it's 60% when I come home.

A) Keep it plugged when home and stay at 70% daily
B) Don't plug in until down to 20%, then plug in to reach 70% (hence I get to plug in twice a week or so)

Which one is better?
Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
My understanding is A is better.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My commute is short.
If I leave in the morning with 70%, it's 60% when I come home.

A) Keep it plugged when home and stay at 70% daily
B) Don't plug in until down to 20%, then plug in to reach 70% (hence I get to plug in twice a week or so)

Which one is better?
Not saying what is better but in 6.5 years I have been charging my Tesla every 3 or so days, usually when it gets down under 35% and it has held up pretty well. Lost about 4% of range in the first 2 years and another 3% since then so seems to be holding up pretty well.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, it probably doesn't make a huge difference, but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep it topped off to 70%.

You might let it go down lower and sit every once in a while to let the BMS calibrate. Range estimates on EVs can get a little off if you're always staying in the same % range.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
in this simple use scenario I would plug in at 60 but not charge. Then start Charging an hour before leaving the next day.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I do option B with Tesla. Just easier than plugging in each day. I make sure to have about 100 miles of states range so I have enough to make two round trips to the hospital if ever needed in emergency for something. We also have a super charger between here and the highway within 5 minutes if me so that’s always plan C.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I do option B with my Rivian since I primarily charge at my work's (free) chargers. Normally when I get to work on Monday morning I'm at ~45% and charge to my 85% limit. Another top-up at work Wednesday lasts me til Monday morning.

DamonR1T

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Manager of Technology Product Management
I plug mine in every day, probably a holdover from my Tesla before it. I keep mine set at 70%.. you never know when you might need to go a little further from home and stopping to charge may not be convenient, depending on the situation (thinking emergency evacuations and the like).

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
We just have just always plugged all of our EVs in every night when we got home. If you have an EVSE at home, why not? The cars are always charged and ready to go if needed. I don't need to "remember" oh tonight I need to charge. It becomes second nature, just get home and plug in. The only time we don't plug in is if one of our EVs is well above the set charge limit from free charging while we were out during the day.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I plug mine in every day, probably a holdover from my Tesla before it. I keep mine set at 70%.. you never know when you might need to go a little further from home and stopping to charge may not be convenient, depending on the situation (thinking emergency evacuations and the like).
If I lived in an area with common natural disasters, I would do the same. If not only for having V2H capacity let alone being able to GOOD.
Sponsored