Sponsored

Who is excited about the Eletre?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Somewhat relevant since they are having an official reveal tomorrow. I've always liked Lotus's designs but was never in a situation to afford them before, and I'm guessing that's still going to be true after tomorrow.

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/eletre/
It's a beautiful vehicle, the finishes are spot on throughout. My only critique would be the high interior dash.
Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Yeah the 718 EV is couple of years off but it has never provoked the kind of emotion that other mid engine two seaters have. The Mission R prototype looks bulky and reminded me of 1980's vintage IMSA racer.

Porsche has a problem in that if 718 is too good, it will take sales away from 911, just as Tycan has from Panamera. That said, I have been happy to read both Lotus and Porsche has been dealing with keeping the driving dynamics of mid engine sports car for the EV versions and lowering the seat height position.
You need to watch this. It might change your opinion. I believe EV sports cars will have plenty of emotion.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Eletre R top trim starts at 135k
675 kW 2 speed transmission
373 miles WLTP
112 kWh Battery
800V charging, 350kW maximum rate
0-62 in 2.95s
Should be a nice option for someone looking for a little more road performance than the R1S.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Lotus Eletre length and width dimensions are remarkably similar to the R1S but the Eletre’s height is much lower. The base trim looks like it could enter the U.S market around $90,000. Geely will have Volvo, Polestar and Lotus branded EV models competing for Rivian’s on-road biased R1S potential buyers.

Rivian R1T R1S Who is excited about the Eletre? 1670694516552

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
I was excited about Eletre and was ready to put down the $5k reservation fee a Lotus dealer wanted from me in California, but two things stood out:

1. this will be a very heavy car because that claimed 0-60 in 2.95s comes from 900+ horsepower system and a 2-speed transmission. A Tycan has less horsepower and is faster. Also noticed the hundreds decimal point in 2.95 claim--nobody does that unless they are sure it will be right on that mark and not over or under it. So we are dealing with a ~6000 lbs pound car according to physics which means nothing exciting will be possible in terms of handling.

2. it doesn't have a single 12 volt outlet for accessories like electric pump or cooler. It just has 4 USB-C ports.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Based on specs what are we guessing...$120k?

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I was excited about Eletre and was ready to put down the $5k reservation fee a Lotus dealer wanted from me in California, but two things stood out:

1. this will be a very heavy car because that claimed 0-60 in 2.95s comes from 900+ horsepower system and a 2-speed transmission. A Tycan has less horsepower and is faster. Also noticed the hundreds decimal point in 2.95 claim--nobody does that unless they are sure it will be right on that mark and not over or under it. So we are dealing with a ~6000 lbs pound car according to physics which means nothing exciting will be possible in terms of handling.

2. it doesn't have a single 12 volt outlet for accessories like electric pump or cooler. It just has 4 USB-C ports.
A possible third consideration is Lotus USA‘s current new car warranty pales in comparison to Rivian’s warranty. I don’t know if Lotus will offer a more competitive warranty period/mileage limit on their new Eletre EV SUV.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It's cool. I'd consider it when it's time to get rid of the Audi.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Looks interesting. Looks like the base would be around 85-90k and option for a 3 seat bench seat in the back per an article I saw.

Negatives -- no local dealership. Its lotus, not sure how reliable of a brand it would be? Not that Rivian has proven anything.

Certainly would be a competitor for the upcoming Macan EV.

Sponsored

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

A big, heavy Lotus. I wonder what Colin Chapman would think.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

A big, heavy Lotus. I wonder what Colin Chapman would think.
+1

Both Evija and Emira are both great looking vehicles but the Electre and its sedan version to come are both fugly. Clearly different design cues and direction - more than just going from two-seater to two-rows....

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Yikes... this thing could do grocery runs FAST!
Sponsored