Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We just had our roof replaced and the roofers forgot a sheet of plywood in the backyard one day, so I quickly hid it in the shed before they came back the next day 🤭. With a full sheet, I went big on the groove sections and did 30" deep. It's amazing what a little poly will do to any wood!

Rivian R1T R1S Winter Camping Gear Winners & Lessons! 1000009329

Rivian R1T R1S Winter Camping Gear Winners & Lessons! 1000009328
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I got so incredibly spoiled "Tesla Camping" that I needed to find a way to keep the heat pump comfort...
:rolleyes:
Rivian R1T R1S Winter Camping Gear Winners & Lessons! PXL_20240317_005540666

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I got so incredibly spoiled "Tesla Camping" that I needed to find a way to keep the heat pump comfort...
PXL_20240317_005540666.jpg
"Adventure vehicle..." 🙄
Rivian R1T R1S Winter Camping Gear Winners & Lessons! 1000009330

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

PXL_20240317_005540666.jpg
@R.I.P. is that the Ecoflow wave 2? How is it working for you? I was considering it, but I've seen mixed reviews and the specs say it stops working as a heater below 40°F … has that been your experience?

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

@Rexbo thanks for starting this thread — it's great! I loved the Stoic Bivy suit on a recent trip. One consideration for anyone else looking at it: I'm 5'9"; the Small size fits me better than the Large size when I'm standing (the Large is too baggy), but the Small is a little constraining when I'm sitting/kneeling in my tent. I'd probably take the Large size for a future trip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rexbo

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@Rexbo thanks for starting this thread — it's great! I loved the Stoic Bivy suit on a recent trip. One consideration for anyone else looking at it: I'm 5'9"; the Small size fits me better than the Large size when I'm standing (the Large is too baggy), but the Small is a little constraining when I'm sitting/kneeling in my tent. I'd probably take the Large size for a future trip.
My experience exactly at 5'10"!

OP
OP
Rexbo

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We just had our roof replaced and the roofers forgot a sheet of plywood in the backyard one day, so I quickly hid it in the shed before they came back the next day 🤭. With a full sheet, I went big on the groove sections and did 30" deep. It's amazing what a little poly will do to any wood!

1000009329.png

1000009328.png
Badass!! It's SO much nicer having a flat tailgate surface

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
@R.I.P. is that the Ecoflow wave 2? How is it working for you? I was considering it, but I've seen mixed reviews and the specs say it stops working as a heater below 40°F … has that been your experience?
Yes, it is an ecoflow 2, and yes, its efficiency drops pretty dramatically at about 40°.

I also have a small low draw quartz radiant heater that I use to boost temps in the tent if I am going to be camping in the very cold, but for the most part, the eco flow does great.

Add it's ability to turn into a powerful air conditioner in the summer, and it is one piece of kit that never leaves the truck.
😎

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Badass!! It's SO much nicer having a flat tailgate surface
Final product! I need to trim my mat but it'll do.

Rivian R1T R1S Winter Camping Gear Winners & Lessons! 1000009346

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

Yes, it is an ecoflow 2, and yes, its efficiency drops pretty dramatically at about 40°.

I also have a small low draw quartz radiant heater that I use to boost temps in the tent if I am going to be camping in the very cold, but for the most part, the eco flow does great.

Add it's ability to turn into a powerful air conditioner in the summer, and it is one piece of kit that never leaves the truck.
😎
Good to know! I got a generic spacer heater, which was great for 15° camping. I'll probably start looking for a camping AC soon though … and I might yet end up with the Ecoflow 2.

Did your tent have a built-in HVAC port, or was that DIY job?

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Good to know! I got a generic spacer heater, which was great for 15° camping. I'll probably start looking for a camping AC soon though … and I might yet end up with the Ecoflow 2.

Did your tent have a built-in HVAC port, or was that DIY job?
I just stuff it into one of the windows, and zip it up on the pipe. By then throw a towel over the pipe to seal the gaps.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
@Rexbo Excellent writeup! Thanks for taking the time to prepare this to such a great levelof detail.
Having winter camped above 12,000 feet in the Rockies, I won't ever turn down a way to stay warm. And yet, the Bivy Suit photo did cause an image of Ralphie in his bunny pajamas flash through my mind.
But I learned a long time ago that mountain winter camping is no time to worry about making a fashion statement, especially when you lose feeling in your toes!
Sponsored