Sponsored

gwatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser & Q5 TDI
Occupation
Product
XPEL has a variety of pre-cut kits on their website for either R1.
Might only be a matter of time before a full PPF is available from the factory.
Sponsored

johnmcgrann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Finally!!!

I will be adding this to my order. The blunt front end is a magnet for stone chips.
Agreed on this. I've had mine for 3 months and have <4,000 miles on it, all city streets and maybe 1,500 miles of highway driving. I found my first stone chip on the front end about a month ago, and a second one yesterday. I'm very new to PPF but will figure out as quickly as possible how to fix these and get the front end protected. I wish this had been an option when I was finalizing my configuration.

jbowen52

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango and Porsche Panamera
Occupation
Aerospace Support Engineer
Thanks for the tip. I have added it to my order. I had requested information on PPF for the front end. Never heard anything, but this is just what I was looking for.
Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! XPELDiagramR1T

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gavinmcc

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical

Not sure about the new ppf. Doesn’t seem as invisible as most ;)

endokendo

First Name
Endo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical
Thanks for the tip. I have added it to my order. I had requested information on PPF for the front end. Never heard anything, but this is just what I was looking for.
XPELDiagramR1T.jpg
I asked Rivian when the full stealth PPF wrap will be available so I can add it to my configuration. Their reply to me on Oct 19, 2022 at 1256 pm:

Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! 7295B5BB-528B-4E09-AB0E-AADFD8062111

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! c8e3e45a-4c31-40ab-be42-7e58055d02f5

Paint Protection for
Your Adventures

For the first time, you can add XPEL Front Paint Protection before you take delivery. This virtually invisible shield is applied to the painted front of your R1T, up to the driver and front passenger doors. This helps cut down on damage to your vehicle from grit, gravel and road debris, so you're ready for on-road and off-road adventures.

For more information, including pricing, follow this link to the configurator and navigate to Front Paint Protection.

Add Paint Protection

Self-Heals

It's both durable and repairable — if light scratches or swirls occur, XPEL film can self-heal with a simple heat application to its surface.

Safeguards Value

Professionally installed PPF (paint protection film) is an additional long-term way to care for the color and finish of your Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! b56ca0f3-5019-49ec-8256-60ed48c863cb

For more information, including pricing, follow the link below.

Learn More

Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! e823a0b8-adad-4b36-a190-5edd8b6f224f

Virtually Invisible

Glossy, virtually invisible ULTIMATE PLUS™ film provides a seamless look with your paint.

Easy to Clean

XPEL's films are stain-resistant and won't change color due to UV exposure. Plus, they won't lift or delaminate, and they let you easily clean your vehicle without damaging its finish.

For more information, follow this link to the configurator.

Learn More

FROM THE CONFIGURATOR:

• Paint Protection
    Protect your vehicle from rock chips and scratches with XPEL paint protection film.
    • Front - $1,500

Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! 1666297454764

Paint Protection

XPEL protective film shields your vehicle from chips, scratches and road debris. Self-healing, seamless and easy to clean, it’s a low-maintenance way to help protect your R1 both on-road and off.
Features
  • Self-healing topcoat
    Self-heals scratches or swirls with light heat application.
  • Non-yellowing
    Won’t yellow or change color due to UV exposure.
  • Glossy finish
    Glossy finish matches your paint for a seamless look.
  • Resistant surface
    Protects paint and maintains finish, even in harsh conditions.
  • Prevents wear & tear
    Protects against rock chips, nicks and scratches.
  • Edge Seal Technology
    The film stays stuck — no lifting or delamination.
Front Paint Protection
Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Paint Protection Film PPF now available option in Rivian configurator! XPELDiagramR1T

For high-impact areas
XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS™ paint protection film is applied to the areas of your vehicle most likely to see rock chips and road debris. The 8 mil glossy film matches your vehicle finish for a seamless look.

Frequently asked questions
  • What areas are covered?
    Front Paint Protection covers all painted surfaces on the front of the vehicle, including the entire hood, front bumper, fenders and mirror caps.
  • Why order now rather than use aftermarket solution?
    When you order XPEL paint protection with your vehicle, it’s applied while your paint still has that factory finish. Your Rivian arrives protected and ready to go — no additional appointments required. Plus, this feature is eligible for financing as part of your vehicle purchase.
  • How are edges of the paint protection film treated?
    To ensure the best possible coverage, edges that don’t require panel removal or disassembly are fully wrapped. For areas where that’s not possible, the film extends to within 1mm of the edge.
  • Can I get my full car wrapped?
    Unfortunately, we don’t offer that option at this time.
  • What are the warranty coverage and terms?
    Paint Protection is warranted by XPEL for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first — matching Rivian’s vehicle warranty. Coverage starts with installation and covers yellowing, staining, delamination, cracking, peeling and bubbling.

Last edited:

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Added to mine as well. If the quality isn't good on first shipments, I'll change and do it locally...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For those still expecting delivery before the end of the year, has anyone asked if this option will impact delivery timing?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

You're better off paying a few $$$ extra and getting XPEL Fusion or SunTek Reaction with wrapped edges. 8mil, 10 or 12 year warranty, and a hydrophobic top coat.

Rivian is using Ultimate Plus which has a lower warranty, and no hydrophobic properties. Edges also won't be wrapped.

I highly recommend SunTek Reaction as the clarity is night and day difference due to XPEL's hefty adhesive bottom layer, which does add it's own orange peel effect.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Rivian is using Ultimate Plus which has a lower warranty, and no hydrophobic properties.
Or since you're not getting PPF on the whole truck just do your own ceramic coating after delivery. No need for the PPF to have its own.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The thing that concerns me is a paint correction isn't being performed beforehand. PPF makes the paint look a little less clear as it is, even the super great stuff adds a layer of opacity. When you paint correct beforehand you're going to protect and enhance the clarity of the paint first.

No factory paint job is good enough to not require a paint correction. The ones that are great are corrected BY the factory, but they are still corrected.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I remember when getting the front of my Tesla wrapped there was some talk about letting the paint breathe / cure after coming out of the factory for a period of time (2-4 weeks) before wrapping. I remember some installers even recommending not immediately wrapping straight out of the factory. Anyone else come across that recommendation before? And if so, this being done straight out of Normal, wouldn't it cause issues?

quote from ghost shield film a authorized XPEL installer

"You want to give the paint time to release the solvents from the paint and clear coat. Ideally, you want the vehicle to heat up during the 30 days, so if your car is garage kept you will want to give it 60-90 days.

If you do not give the paint enough time to properly cure and air out it can cause bubbles to form and likely peel paint when it needs to be removed. Solvents unable to escape due to the clear bra can also cause discoloration to the paint."

Found similar recommendation on other authorized installer websites (quick google search).

For those that get the car delivered, by the time it gets to you I am figuring its been 30'ish days if not more so no problem, but straight out of factory, maybe?

Last edited:

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Or since you're not getting PPF on the whole truck just do your own ceramic coating after delivery. No need for the PPF to have its own.
Good point, but I feel the $1500 is of wasted value. Precut kits are being installed, and you'll see PPF edges on every panel covered. That edge will accumulate dirt, grime and debris, which is a detailers nightmare.

One needs to think how they want to protect their vehicle's paint: protect it from debris, grime, chips and scratches with PPF, or, protect it from dirt and grime and very light scratches/swirling with a ceramic coat.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

The thing that concerns me is a paint correction isn't being performed beforehand. PPF makes the paint look a little less clear as it is, even the super great stuff adds a layer of opacity. When you paint correct beforehand you're going to protect and enhance the clarity of the paint first.

No factory paint job is good enough to not require a paint correction. The ones that are great are corrected BY the factory, but they are still corrected.
Not all PPF does this. XPEL does, due to it's thicker, more foggy adhesive layer. Coupling that with the Rivian's existing orange peel effect in the paint, yeah it's not going to look the best.

If you're doing a full paint correction, I still wouldn't touch XPEL - go SunTek for better clarity.

Otherwise, cover the whole vehicle in XPEL Stealth or SunTek Matte, and don't worry about the orange peel effect :D
Sponsored