Sponsored
OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If it only works in park, you might be able to get it to work through your phone's hotspot.
Cast receiver device can’t get data via iPhone. Unless Rivian enables the car to join your iPhone hotspot entirely.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'd venture the rumored Apple partnership that was mentioned a week or two ago will be to add AirPlay2 support (maybe native Apple Music too). I think the only reason the Google casting stuff was announced today is because the Google I/O conference is going on right now and there's an R1S on-display. Pretty sure in one of the recent interviews / Q&A sessions Wassym mentioned that iPhone users made up the majority of Rivian owners.

Sponsored

Airmoses

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I'd venture the rumored Apple partnership that was mentioned a week or two ago will be to add AirPlay2 support (maybe native Apple Music too). I think the only reason the Google casting stuff was announced today is because the Google I/O conference is going on right now and there's an R1S on-display. Pretty sure in one of the recent interviews / Q&A sessions Wassym mentioned that iPhone users made up the majority of Rivian owners.
Maybe announced at WWDC in a few weeks?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Pretty cool! Would be nice if someday it's just a youtube app not having to cast. Would be great to also see amazon video and other apps hopefully soon.

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It works for Spotify, Pandora, Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, Peacock, and YouTube certainly. I'm sure there are others as well but those are the ones I know of.
Not complaining, just asking: can you google cast from AppleTV+ as well, or cast home videos from the iOS Photos app?

Sponsored

omgcoffee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 PDM R1T
Occupation
Engineering
Exciting!

Usage on the rear screen (if implemented) would be almost useless. It is too small and the viewing angle is not very good. My prior Model S (2022) had a rear screen with streaming media and while it worked and kept my son engaged it was unusable for me or anyone else. Too small.

The Rivian already has charging ports on the rear headrests with a nice metal hook which can accomodate a lot of tablets. Hook it up and use the included mobile hotpot and watch whatever you want on a better screen.
I don't know how it "would be almost useless" if it also "worked and kept my son engaged...". If it let us throw a show on for my kids when we found ourselves out and about without a tablet, I'd be happy to have the option.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

This is interesting, seems like there will be a lot more applications than video streaming:

Rivian R1T R1S YouTube App and Google Cast video streaming coming to Rivian infotainment system 1715804296096-rf

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

FYI: these features will likely require signing up for Rivian’s data service subscription. Casting media will download via Rivian’s data plan, if it follows the casting protocol.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/overview

IMG_9223.jpeg
While it's nice to see steps toward a better user experience, not being able to use cast or screen mirroring without AT&T service e.g. camping last weekend and waiting out the rain in the truck, makes this far less useful. It's easier to just bring an iPad, load it up with offline movies like I would on an airplane, and watch on that.

I know they want to sell people on the idea of paying $100-$200 a year for the hotspot and data service but if it doesn't work everywhere you may want it then it just seems easier to use a phone or iPad, sync content up watch that way.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Article says you have to be connected to the Rivian hotspot so this will be a paid thing when LTE support expires?

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is interesting, seems like there will be a lot more applications than video streaming:

1715804296096-rf.png
Saw this too... the point of a car is that it should be moving (unless used as housing during camping). I wonder if Rivian will automatically allow all tier 2 and tier 1 apps
Sponsored