Sponsored

“Google-backed EV charging startup Gravity opens fastest public chargers in the US”

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

""Beginning today, fleet and commercial operators and EV owners can visit the Gravity Charging Center and test the technology for themselves. The Gravity Charging Center is located at 401-471 West 42nd Street, New York, NY, 10036. If you’re in the area, visit them and report back!"

So, any Rivian owners in the area? 😆

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Interesting. I’m wondering if there’s a consensus as to the point that’s “fast enough.” My understanding is that the faster you push energy into the battery, the faster it wears. Is there data that suggests “slower DC fast chargers” could be better long term than faster fast chargers?

Maybe faster is better until fast charging only takes, say 5 minutes to add 200+ miles. Someone on this forum must have thought this out already…..

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The only question that matters is whether they checked with big mouth Tesla Cybertruck engineer to get his Twitter approval for the location and length of the cable.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's gonna be pretty hard to navigate with a trailer.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting. I’m wondering if there’s a consensus as to the point that’s “fast enough.” My understanding is that the faster you push energy into the battery, the faster it wears. Is there data that suggests “slower DC fast chargers” could be better long term than faster fast chargers?

Maybe faster is better until fast charging only takes, say 5 minutes to add 200+ miles. Someone on this forum must have thought this out already…..
10 minutes per 3 hours of driving without needing to slow down, in the winter time, is what I consider the "holy grail" charging speed. Based on my experience with how inefficient the R1T is under those conditions, it's around 1 MW, and would require a much larger battery.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This will be awesome for the ID.4 owner I met at a charger recently. He pulled in at 96% SOC to 'top up' and was upset he didn't get 350 kW as advertised. Now he'll be able to charge for an hour and get 2400 miles of range (per the article). /s

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

This will be awesome for the ID.4 owner I met at a charger recently. He pulled in at 96% SOC to 'top up' and was upset he didn't get 350 kW as advertised. Now he'll be able to charge for an hour and get 2400 miles of range (per the article). /s
Did you educate them? Or was it just too hard to know where to begin?

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
Google-backed EV charging startup Gravity Mavity opens fastest public chargers in the US
There, fixed that for you.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Did you educate them? Or was it just too hard to know where to begin?
Yes, I tried to. Spent about 10 minutes with the guy. I mentioned the max speed of the ID.4, I thought it was 150 kW, couldn't remember, but knew it wasn't 350 kW. I also talked about the SOC playing a big role here. He didn't seem very convinced and more annoyed at VW and the FPL Evolution charger. He said he tried EA also and got the same results. Hopefully, someone else will convey the same info to him at another stop to reinforce what I said. Education is hard.

Sponsored

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wonder what Gravity is charging per kWh. DCFC has gotten very expensive lately imo.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

That's actually not exactly true. Batteries dislike being hot and they especially dislike being hot and full. So DC fast charging is only a problem if you can't control thermals during the session. Cooling becomes more challenging as the battery gets full, as it's resistance is increasing.

But the idea that fast charging = degredation isn't really accurate.

Mellowyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S CompassYellow/DualMotorPerformance/LargePack
Clubs

""Beginning today, fleet and commercial operators and EV owners can visit the Gravity Charging Center and test the technology for themselves. The Gravity Charging Center is located at 401-471 West 42nd Street, New York, NY, 10036. If you’re in the area, visit them and report back!"

So, any Rivian owners in the area? 😆
I'll be in the area for NY auto show in a week or two, will check it out and report back!

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I feel really bad for someone who thinks they need to top up from 96%. That’s some type of anxiety I’m very glad to not have.