Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

That's not my experience. I saw a big drop in efficiency when I inadvertently purchased an LT version of my tires instead of the P version. The only difference between the two tires is the weight of the heavier duty LT version. Not only did efficiency drop noticeably, but the ride was also noticably more harsh. The LT tires were 12 lbs heavier than the P version.
I'm with you. I used to run a lot of Bridgestones on my 4runner because they were a huge value. Going to a set of E load range 33s I could really tell the 55lb mass over the 40some metrics. The unsprung weight, centrifugal force and steering/suspension definitely had more to cope with. No thanks been down that road.
Sponsored

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

But at the same time, do you get a lot more puncture / gash resistance with these heavy E rated LT tires?

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Looks like a great tire - thanks for sharing! My wait was over the day after I brought my truck home and I put a set of BFG KO2 on it, but that's just me. These Michelin will be a great option for many folks out there.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Michelin Defender LTX Platinum Tires review -- For all of you thinking about a 20" tire! Your wait is over! IMG_3028

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I will add pics soon, these tires are on whole other level! 1st thing I noticed is that they are extremely quiet I mean like insanely quiet! I found noises inside my cab that I have never heard before. secondly, something stood out was the faster you are driving the more the tires want to stay straight ahead you can actually feel the resistance if you were to slightly move the wheel. This obviously must have to do with the stange tread. and third cornering, my truck weighs over 8k in traffic circles, tight turns I have much less body roll. These tires are insanely cool! I have not had inclement weather to test them however i did test them in wet locations from a stop aggressively throttled and noticed no spin. Very smooth on our dirt road with aggressive turning no skidding. I have already noticed very low rolling resistance I will document my MPG savings as well as bad weather driving as have the chance.
I have a feeling these tires are going to become the next best thing especially for EV's.
My Tires are 295/65/R20 Load range E.
Any pics of the 295/65/R20? I don’t think I have seen this size on a Rivian. Big, any rubbing?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Any pics of the 295/65/R20? I don’t think I have seen this size on a Rivian. Big, any rubbing?
He has put those on his GMC HD, not a Rivian.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve ordered a set of the Platinums and can’t wait to get the noisy Pirellis off the stock 20s and on to a set of Ram wheels. 26k on the OEM tires and still quite a bit of life left in them. Interested to see if there are efficiency gains but I’ll be happy with status quo & better tires. FWIW I’m at ~2.1 mi/kW lifetime, typically in AP mode & no attempts to be efficient other than switching to conserve mode for road trip highway miles.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
I’ve ordered a set of the Platinums and can’t wait to get the noisy Pirellis off the stock 20s and on to a set of Ram wheels. 26k on the OEM tires and still quite a bit of life left in them. Interested to see if there are efficiency gains but I’ll be happy with status quo & better tires. FWIW I’m at ~2.1 mi/kW lifetime, typically in AP mode & no attempts to be efficient other than switching to conserve mode for road trip highway miles.
I'm in the same boat with the R1S - 26k on the AT Pirelli's after nearly 14 months, and while I think they can get to 30k, they are already noisy! FWIW about 2.2 m/kWh lifetime with similar driving habits. Hoping the Platinum is a good alternative when it's time to replace later this year.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Has anyone had any issues with costco installing these tires? Their site says it's not compatible with the r1t

Gamial

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius and Highlander
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Has anyone had any issues with costco installing these tires? Their site says it's not compatible with the r1t
I just had these tires installed yesterday at Costco without a problem. In the employee's computer system the tires match with the specs of the OEM tires so you should be good.

cleanwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4/24/19 Preorder
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Clubs

I ordered mine from Costco online, had them delivered to their store (which FedEx ground managed to misplace one for a week), and they scheduled me an appointment within a few days. They claimed to have "done a few Rivians" but didn't seem polished with it, yet. They utilized my RivianStyle magnetic jack pucks with their lift, and praised Rivian's design over that of the Tesla's they'd done. It took them roughly an hour from start to finish. They were careful with the rims I was very satisfied with the experience. I'm also very happy with the tires.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

bbonkk

First Name
howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroen 2cv6, Tesla Model 3, Sprinter van, BMW x5
Occupation
pain in the ass
Clubs

Out of curiosity, who was the retailer?
That was tire rack but I’m not sure why they were so cheap. I ended up buying two tires that were used from United Tires in Chicago. Ended up costing me $215 including shipping for tires that still had 9/32 of tread.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

This is me exactly! The stock 20” pirellis at 25k miles have a lot of life left, but sound like super swampers. I just want them gone and something quiet like the rest of the truck. If I get better efficiency that’ll be a bonus.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So to clarify. Are these getting better efficiency than the stock perelli? I thought it was a given that a AS rated tire would be much more efficient than a AT tire.
Sponsored