Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I recently bought a set of EV Sportline 20" wheels. I started looking for a tire that would look good and ride good. I opted for a cheap set of 285/60/20 tires from China, no doubt. Cost me all of about $800, and they looked great!

Come to find they were noisy. I realized that a big knobbly tire might be noisy, and they were. Much more than the factory 21" Pirelli's.

I started some research, and found that Michelin was about to launch a whole new tire for trucks and large SUV's, called the Michelin Defender LTX Platinum.

These were just released in November 2023! Michelin is actively producing this tire and many sizes aren't available yet! Like a 275/60R20, the Rivian recommended size.

Seeing that I already had a 285/60/20 tire on my truck with no rubbing or any issues whatsoever, I went for them again, and they were available.

Costco's website still shows these tires as "unavailable, temporarily out of stock".

I only had them for a day now. Driving out of the Costco parking lot I could tell, even at these low speeds, that this was a great tire.

They're as quiet as my factory 21's.

On the freeway at speed these were just awsome! By the way the speed rating is "S", 112 mph.

I must say, they don't look as good as some All terrain tires out there, but they have a 70,000 mile warranty!

I never intend to take my truck off road, and these weren't made for rock crawling.

If you're looking for a comfortable great tire that's gonna last a while, these are the one's.

The first picture is of my original "knobbly" tires. The last three are the Michelin's.

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Michelin Defender LTX Platinum Tires review -- For all of you thinking about a 20" tire! Your wait is over! IMG_9309.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Michelin Defender LTX Platinum Tires review -- For all of you thinking about a 20" tire! Your wait is over! 20231204_152059

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Michelin Defender LTX Platinum Tires review -- For all of you thinking about a 20" tire! Your wait is over! 20231204_152050

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Michelin Defender LTX Platinum Tires review -- For all of you thinking about a 20" tire! Your wait is over! 20231204_152043
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Whataboykie!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

By the way, the rims aren't damaged, it's just the soapy solution they used to mount the tires. A carwash will take care of that!

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Cool. When you’ve had some time with them, can you let us know what efficiency are you seeing with this setup vs. the more knobby tires?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They look good! Have an AT design on the sidewall that should make people happy.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the info @Whataboykie!

Looks like "M+S" rated, no "Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake" rating correct, or did I miss that?

Last edited:

Sponsored

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Definitely not 3 peak, as these are all seasons and not ATs. That said, the regular Defenders do quite well in the snow, I believe better than some 3 peak rated ATs. No numbers on this one yet, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t perform well for an AS.

I was seriously considering these Platinums in this exact 285/60/20 size, but ended up going with some Dynapro AT2 Xtremes during a Black Friday deal for $325 per tire. Wanted a real AT at the end of the day. But, ask me again in a few months when my efficiency drops (I’m coming from 21s), and you’re sitting pretty with near OEM or better.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Definitely not 3 peak, as these are all seasons and not ATs.
btw, the 3 peak rating does not require an AT tire. There are 3 peak all season tires for all kinds of applications.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Definitely not 3 peak, as these are all seasons and not ATs. That said, the regular Defenders do quite well in the snow, I believe better than some 3 peak rated ATs. No numbers on this one yet, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t perform well for an AS.

I was seriously considering these Platinums in this exact 285/60/20 size, but ended up going with some Dynapro AT2 Xtremes during a Black Friday deal for $325 per tire. Wanted a real AT at the end of the day. But, ask me again in a few months when my efficiency drops (I’m coming from 21s), and you’re sitting pretty with near OEM or better.
Many 3 peak rated tires are all season, not AT.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-ga...!g!!&gclsrc=aw.ds&&affiliate=HM5&gad_source=1

Some important information to remember about 3PMSF branding.

• Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire, however 3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I've considered these for when my Pirelli AT's wear out, but my hesitation comes from the significantly heavier weight per tire at 59 lbs for the LTX Platinum vs 48 lbs for the Pirellis in the OEM size of 275/65/20. My personal preference is for the taller 65 sidewall versus the wider section width. Looking forward to hearing your efficiency results.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
They look great! I'm debating between these and the Defender LTX M/S2 - curious about your efficiency numbers!

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Thanks for the info! I'm considering these for when I need to replace my Pirelli AT's, which are quite noisy after 23,000 miles.