20" tire recommendations

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
20" AT Pirelli tire on an R1T. Will probably get another 5-6K out of them rotating them.

Want to go to a more street tire tread as the truck never goes off road.

What are folks running?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
And are we having to rock E Load ranges here?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I've been very pleased with the Michelin Defender M/S2 coming from the OEM 21s. Very smooth and appear to be on par efficiency wise.

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I switched to Pirelli Scorpion AS 20s on my R1S from the ATs. I love the AS - much better tires. Super quiet, significantly improved ride and handling. And the efficiency jumped to be identical to 21s. I now get an average of 2.4 m/kwh, adjusted for the slight difference in diameter (Rivian won't calibrate a non OEM tire). The AS has a very slightly lower maximum weight rating that the AT but it is by far within the safety margin.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I switched to Pirelli Scorpion AS 20s on my R1S from the ATs. I love the AS - much better tires. Super quiet, significantly improved ride and handling. And the efficiency jumped to be identical to 21s. I now get an average of 2.4 m/kwh, adjusted for the slight difference in diameter (Rivian won't calibrate a non OEM tire). The AS has a very slightly lower maximum weight rating that the AT but it is by far within the safety margin.
There are so many 20" tire options out there. Do you think there's any better option for range than the Pirelli AS?

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Following. I have 40k+ miles on my R1T and am on my second set of Pirelli ATs. The ATs become very noisy after about 12k and I’m looking to change to a street tire.

Orima

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG/FE R1T, Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid
Clubs

I’m currently debating between the Michelin Defender LTX vs the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. Discount Tire has the Agilis on a good deal and is their #1 recommended, whatever that means… but, is 3 peak snowflake, so tempting to get that one.
Has anyone run the Agilis yet?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I've been very pleased with the Michelin Defender M/S2 coming from the OEM 21s. Very smooth and appear to be on par efficiency wise.

Efficiency gettting better with warmer weather in Dallas?

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Efficiency gettting better with warmer weather in Dallas?
I'm down in SATX but efficiency on my drive this morning was on par with what I was getting. If there's any range loss between my current set up and the OEM 21s, I attribute it to very slight changes in aerodynamics more than the tires themselves. I am confident the Defender LTX M/S2 are at least as efficient as the Pirelli Scorpion AS.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm down in SATX but efficiency on my drive this morning was on par with what I was getting. If there's any range loss between my current set up and the OEM 21s, I attribute it to very slight changes in aerodynamics more than the tires themselves. I am confident the Defender LTX M/S2 are at least as efficient as the Pirelli Scorpion AS.
When you say aerodynamic as the off market wheels sticked out a bit compared to the stock wheels?

NCRivian

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy suburban. 2023 R1T
Occupation
Plumber
I just switched from OEM 21” to 20” Michelin ltx defender m/s2. So far drove 800 miles. Getting 2.30 miles/kWh on the m/s2. Was getting 2.55 miles/kWh on the 21” but the Michelins are better suited for the construction sites I visit daily. All my driving is in all purpose or sport, so you could add a little range to this if you use conserve.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

When you say aerodynamic as the off market wheels sticked out a bit compared to the stock wheels?
Yes that's my assumption. I'm fine with it because I like the appearance and we're talking about an overall range reduction of maybe 20 miles on a full charge, which is negligible.

Aquinas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I put Nokian One H/T LT275/65R-20 in my R1S immediately after I bought.

I don’t need off road and think 20” rims look better. More proportionate with the size of the rig. I also wanted to improve efficiency with road tread.

I’ve been real happy with them. Mostly highway / road with a little bit of snow when going skiing up to Stevens Pass in Washington from Seattle.

I never rode on the stock pirellis to A/B the road noise. The Nokians ride quiet, IMO. The price was nice too.

As far as efficiency goes, it’s been mostly colder weather driving and I can’t confirm the tires are more efficient than the pirellis. I can get 2.2mi/kwh in good conditions on the highway. My lifetime average is 1.8m/kwh, but that’s my wife driving around town and us going up hill to the mountains in cold weather.

good luck!
Sponsored