First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Rivian should be training the non-BEV techs they hire so that with time...they are capable BEV techs. So if they somehow run out of non-BEV stuff....head over to all the buried BEV techs and shadow them. Win win.....attract talent with training and educating (pretty sure all techs recognize BEV is their future) and then retain the talent you developed.

In reality all non-BEV should be assigned some percentage of time with a BEV tech, so that most if not all are BEV capable with time. Even if backlogged. Need to develop people to keep them around.
A mobile tech last month replacing missing underbody screws had a Tesla hat on 😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
michaelcasto

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
I know the Bellevue SC has a 2nd shift. The new location was supposed to be open by now however still has permitting issues. Apparently the location straddles 2 permitting jurisdictions. Can't find an active permit on the Seattle SDCI site.
You said Bellevue, SC You meant Bellevue, WA 👍

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

My parents are doctors and they worked nights sometimes. I have seen what that does to a person and family. I don't wish that on anyone. I am absolutely fine with waiting a few more days to get my car fixed.
A lot of people out there want other people to work shift work. But they won't do it themselves. How many people want to work an afternoon shift, say 2pm-10pm, especially if they have a wife or kids? Leave for work when the kids are still in school, get home after they are all asleep.

I work rotating shift work. When some people that work regular day work find out what my position pays, they think it is overpaid in relation to what they do. But they won't apply for the position when one is open, because their wife or kids wouldn't like them on that schedule. And now, with people working from home, they are even more unlikely to want to report into an office. People don't want to work my schedule, but they think I am paid too much to do it.

Thank you guys for having some semblance of humanity.

The rest of these numbskulls are entitled elitists, and that grinds my gears.

"Boohoo, I have a minor cosmetic defect in my $100+ vehicle, someone needs to take care of that for me. I wouldn't stay up late to do it, but someone else should."

To hell with that nonsense. Regardless, the person who fixes your car is a PERSON. They should have the same quality of life as we all do. Don't be asking them to work nights and weekends to accommodate you.

Shift work is demonstrated time and time again to be horrible for people's wellbeing.

Do we need more service centers? Yes.

More space and more techs, absolutely.

But solving the problem by making other people work harder isn't the answer.

Furthermore, I'd PREFER someone well rested, well compensated, well taken care of working passionately with pride to take care of my vehicle's needs, versus someone we're throwing money at to 'make the problem go away,' and who will be disillusioned to the fact that they're working hard to make seemingly-rich people quit their bitchin...

/off my soap box.

OP
OP
michaelcasto

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Most us states don't need any special permit.

You do however need to find someone willing to work these hours. You can pay more, but it's not traditional in the automotive tech industry.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere at the Richmond center everyday

OP
OP
michaelcasto

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Thank you guys for having some semblance of humanity.

The rest of these numbskulls are entitled elitists, and that grinds my gears.

"Boohoo, I have a minor cosmetic defect in my $100+ vehicle, someone needs to take care of that for me. I wouldn't stay up late to do it, but someone else should."

To hell with that nonsense. Regardless, the person who fixes your car is a PERSON. They should have the same quality of life as we all do. Don't be asking them to work nights and weekends to accommodate you.

Shift work is demonstrated time and time again to be horrible for people's wellbeing.

Do we need more service centers? Yes.

More space and more techs, absolutely.

But solving the problem by making other people work harder isn't the answer.

Furthermore, I'd PREFER someone well rested, well compensated, well taken care of working passionately with pride to take care of my vehicle's needs, versus someone we're throwing money at to 'make the problem go away,' and who will be disillusioned to the fact that they're working hard to make seemingly-rich people quit their bitchin...

/off my soap box.
I worked 3rd shift for 15 years and did it with 3 kids that’s the problem with society everyone wants easy. And off early on Fridays too! 😂

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
You said South Carolina
No, he didn't. He used the abbreviation 'SC' for 'Service Center' as in the Bellevue SC in Bellevue, WA. He did not say 'Bellevue, SC' as in Bellevue, South Carolina. As he pointed out in his post, and I will again, his lack of a comma was intentional and changed the meaning of the statement.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
A lot of people out there want other people to work shift work. But they won't do it themselves. How many people want to work an afternoon shift, say 2pm-10pm, especially if they have a wife or kids? Leave for work when the kids are still in school, get home after they are all asleep.

I work rotating shift work. When some people that work regular day work find out what my position pays, they think it is overpaid in relation to what they do. But they won't apply for the position when one is open, because their wife or kids wouldn't like them on that schedule. And now, with people working from home, they are even more unlikely to want to report into an office. People don't want to work my schedule, but they think I am paid too much to do it.
Great point.

We often put "open" shifts out there for our staff to pick up if they want extra hours during busy seasons, but 99% of them don't take advantage of them when they come up. It's the same 1-2 people (out of 37) trying to grab all the extra hours. Then during the times of year when we slow down and less hours are available the folks who never pick up shifts are all whining about not getting enough hours. I wish more of them understood that you should take hours when you can because it may not always be that way. I literally warn them about the seasonal ups and downs during their orientation so there is no excuse IMO.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I worked 3rd shift for 15 years and did it with 3 kids that’s the problem with society everyone wants easy. And off early on Fridays too! 😂
Cool cool cool...cool.

So, you had to do it, and therefore, you believe others should have to 'man up' and do it too?

I spent 8 years in the military. Trust me when I say I've worked nights, weekends, holidays, 24-hour shifts, 36 hour shifts. Well over a year away from home.

NONE of it is good for people, their families, or their longevity.

If there's enough demand in the workforce that people WANT to work overnight, fine. But too much 'expectation' from society (this stupid-ass thread included) that "my grandfather had to pull himself up by his bootstraps" and "no one wants to work anymore."

TO hell with that narrative. Everyone deserves a good quality life and time home with their family (NOT catching up on sleep or fighting off seasonal depression, or dysregulated cortisol). Fun fact: shift workers are significantly more likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes, be overweight, develop cardiovascular disease, have compromised immune systems, make more mistakes, and have just worse mortality and morbidity overall. And it's more often those individuals travelling to/coming home from work in off-hours that end up in motor vehicle accidents. BECAUSE OUR BODIES AREN'T MEANT TO WORK THOSE HOURS.

No one has ever made it to their deathbed wishing they'd worked more...

IF you want to offer REAL solutions that are a net POSITIVE for society: why not ask Rivian to INCREASE the size of their SCs? Add more service centers sooner? Authorize external shops to perform Rivian Work? Increase Mobile Technician count?

Seriously...

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Cool cool cool...cool.

So, you had to do it, and therefore, you believe others should have to 'man up' and do it too?

I spent 8 years in the military. Trust me when I say I've worked nights, weekends, holidays, 24-hour shifts, 36 hour shifts. Well over a year away from home.

NONE of it is good for people, their families, or their longevity.

If there's enough demand in the workforce that people WANT to work overnight, fine. But too much 'expectation' from society (this stupid-ass thread included) that "my grandfather had to pull himself up by his bootstraps" and "no one wants to work anymore."

TO hell with that narrative. Everyone deserves a good quality life and time home with their family (NOT catching up on sleep or fighting off seasonal depression, or dysregulated cortisol). Fun fact: shift workers are significantly more likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes, be overweight, develop cardiovascular disease, have compromised immune systems, make more mistakes, and have just worse mortality and morbidity overall. And it's more often those individuals travelling to/coming home from work in off-hours that end up in motor vehicle accidents. BECAUSE OUR BODIES AREN'T MEANT TO WORK THOSE HOURS.

No one has ever made it to their deathbed wishing they'd worked more...

IF you want to offer REAL solutions that are a net POSITIVE for society: why not ask Rivian to INCREASE the size of their SCs? Add more service centers sooner? Authorize external shops to perform Rivian Work? Increase Mobile Technician count?

Seriously...
I actually agree with you on all of that. My post above about our staff not picking up shifts would appear to be at odds with what you said, but it's not. We don't force our staff to pick up extra hours at any point, even when we are short staffed because IMO it's the quickest way to burn everyone out as fast as possible. Everyone has a different threshold for what they can handle. All we ask from them is that we get their best when they are at work. We don't bother them outside of that time even a little bit.

The problem is, when those people who only work 20 hours per week are complaining about having no money and blaming us for it. Or expecting us to keep scheduling extra people when things slow down. We are fine with whatever number of hours they choose to work - just stop whining about it. Hold yourself accountable for your own choices. Don't order DoorDash 2 meals a day or spend thousands on tattoos every year then blame others when you have trouble paying your rent. I own the company and I pack my lunch every day to save money. They can do it too. I grew up doing shift work and we have tried very hard to make our business better than the places I worked at when I was young. It doesn't have to be torture.
Sponsored