Sponsored

7500 mile service worth doing?

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Costa Mesa service center told me it should be $60 to rotate the tires at the 7,500 mile checkup. You know you can rotate tires for free at America’s Tires. They do charge $20/tire to balance them though. I don’t think you need to re-balance when you rotate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NauticalSpiR1T

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DMP Max Pack
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Is the 7500 mile service worth doing? What do they do? What's the multipoint inspection about? And the tire rotation? Does it cost extra?

I had a number of liftgate issues and other minor items that I had a mobile service appointment for that left a lot to be desired - and left me with some new scratches and problems... Since then, I had a service center appointment that I kept kicking down the road, but I finally went in to look at my minor issues and do the 7500 mile service.

After I got there, they said that I could leave my R1 and it wouldn't be looked at for about a week, or I could take it back and handle it all with a mobile appointment. They did apologize and said that I should have been offered mobile service when I made the appointment.

Now that I'm waiting for the mobile appointment, I'm wondering if it's worth doing. If they're going to charge me for a tire rotation, I might as well just take it to a shop nearby. And if the multipoint inspection is just a diagnostic and visual check of anything wrong, I feel like I can assess a lot of that on my own.

In a surprisingly happy way, my minor issues have either resolved on their own or I've been so satisfied with the performance and capability of the vehicle I just don't care anymore. Plus, I feel like putting it in for service or having a mobile session might create more issues as many stories have shown, and like my own mobile service proved.

I guess my question is was the 7500 mile service worth it for you, what did it cost, and did you have yours done with mobile service?
I agree, I think having an appointment for several weeks, and then having to wait several days before they even look at it is ridiculous! I just posted something similar (https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/tampa-service-center.26553/).

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
My 22 R1T has upcoming power tonneau redo at Atlanta SC. Will have close to 30k on 21 inch road tires, still greater than 5/32 tread as I drive it mostly like the old man that I am, trying to save $$ on these very expensive Pirelli tires. Do need tire rotation, so probably will let them do that also as part of the multipoint inspection that hasn't been done before.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I’m doing the multipoint inspection every 12,000 km (7,500 miles—come on, man! Switch to the metric system) because I want any problems that are found to be under warranty while it lasts. I also have the tires rotated at the same time.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I reached out to Service yesterday for the 22,500 comprehensive inspection, and apparently it's:
1- not available to be performed via mobile service and
2- not currently offered at my 'local' (2.5 hours away, but closest) service center.

:facepalm:

I'm awaiting a callback...

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have had Opal (our R1T) for a little over a year now. She has 6,700 miles on her. We have no intention of getting the 7,500 mile multipoint inspection. We are still over 300 miles from the nearest Rivian Service Center. We thought that Rvian would have improved their service capability by now. They better get on the stick if they plan to sell a massive quantity of R2's in the next several years.

As far as going "metric" is concerned, The US Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act in 1975. It apparently fell flat on its face, and fifty years later the conversion has gone absolutely nowhere.

Brian

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Based on my closest experience with Lexus and their GX & LX trucks (Expensive Vehicles) I would say yes, do it. The number of minor things found over a decade of owning both paid dividends on what was actually spent on service.

For example my LX was in for an off cycle maintenance (10K oil change, 5K off cycle checks) and they found the from passenger door actuator was inconsistent. The check was $172 and they fixed the actuator under warranty. Without the check out of warranty it would have been a $1K+ repair as they have to disassemble the door. That along with a few $2-$300 12V batteries under warranty (GA heat cooks batteries) put me way ahead.

Forgetting about Rivian, having a vehicle manufacturer tech put eyes on your vehicle and all its inner workings once in a while is not a bad thing.
Sponsored