Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Pretty sure they aren't the ones making the adapters, it's Tesla.
Yes, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have also manufactured adapters. It’s like they took a very passive approach to the adapter issue.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Pretty sure they aren't the ones making the adapters, it's Tesla.
And it seems likely that Tesla insisted on being the supplier as a part of the access deal. Gives them control over the engineering, eventual product, marketing ("Tesla made it"), and perhaps most importantly, the roll-out absent any other alternatives. Of course there are alternatives, but as we have seen, many will not use them because they are un-authorized.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yes, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have also manufactured adapters. It’s like they took a very passive approach to the adapter issue.
You don't know that. Maybe Tesla decided that they were the ones that wanted to provide the adapter. Or that was part of the agreement.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just another case of damned if you do damned if you don’t. If Rivian did decide to create their own adapter (assuming their agreement with Tesla allows for that) these forums would be full of people saying why are they wasting resources on this when there is already an available solution rather than focusing on {insert desire here}.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Cancelled before ship = refund.

Anything we may help with?
Perfect. Only reason I ask, is if Rivian emails me in early April and I get my free adapter notification that I'll have it before a road trip in June.

I doubt that happens, so I'll prob order today from you guys.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Honestly in the 8 years I’ve been DCFC charging I’ve never not been at the vehicle when it finishes charging, on the rare occasion that I am running behind I usually just change the percentage to charge from the app so I am not accruing idle time.
Same here but I often like to walk away for 20-30 minutes and would like to know my adapter won’t be gone when I return. But looks like good news from the A2Z web site:

Rivian R1T R1S A2Z NACS To CCS1 Adapter Review 1711469308096-yj

This seems to indicate that you can’t use the switch to disconnect and steal the adapter so perhaps there is no concerns with walking away for a short while.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Same here but I often like to walk away for 20-30 minutes and would like to know my adapter won’t be gone when I return. But looks like good news from the A2Z web site:

1711469308096-yj.png

This seems to indicate that you can’t use the switch to disconnect and steal the adapter so perhaps there is no concerns with walking away for a short while.
I can confirm if the adapter is plugged in but not charging it can be removed if the vehicle is locked.

I plugged in my adapter, walked away and locked the vehicle. Walked back while it was still locked and was able to remove the adapter.

I will say I was not charging but will assume that a stopped charging session would behave the same way so walking away while charging the vehicle with an adapter could cause it to grow legs and walk away.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
I will say I was not charging but will assume that a stopped charging session would behave the same way so walking away while charging the vehicle with an adapter could cause it to grow legs and walk away.
Did some more research and from what I am hearing all adapters can stop a session by the push of a button (or sliding the A2Z switch) so best practices says have someone hang around during the DCFC session if you are concerned about being disconnected or having the adapter stolen.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I don't think adapter theft is very likely, but even if it's low-risk, it's high impact for anyone on a road trip that will rely on NACS chargers.

I hope there's a solution to make sure it's not possible. Even if someone can stop a charging session -- they shouldn't be able to -- the adapter needs to stay locked at least to the vehicle.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't think adapter theft is very likely, but even if it's low-risk, it's high impact for anyone on a road trip that will rely on NACS chargers.

I hope there's a solution to make sure it's not possible. Even if someone can stop a charging session -- they shouldn't be able to -- the adapter needs to stay locked at least to the vehicle.
I think that is a Rivian decision to unlock the charge port when charging is done. This way if at a trail head or hotel and charging is over someone can use the charger by unplugging from your vehicle.

With my Tesla I have to unlock the vehicle to take the cord or adapter if using one out of the port. That was why I assumed it stayed locked but then after @zefram47 commented about the charging ending I recalled at some point reading that which is why I tested the behavior this morning.
Sponsored