First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That must be really bad then, because the Rivian is the worst I have ever seen. Took a trip today and every time I tried to pass a semi or trailer on my right it phantom braked. Please give me an option to have standard cruise control, until it can be fixed.
Thats.... inconsistent with how mine performs. It does really good in stop and go and doesn't feel suicidal to me.

It will have a light phantom brake instance every once in a while which is annoying, but not like you described.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

That must be really bad then, because the Rivian is the worst I have ever seen. Took a trip today and every time I tried to pass a semi or trailer on my right it phantom braked. Please give me an option to have standard cruise control, until it can be fixed.
You might have something out of adjustment. Mine doesn’t do what you’re describing, it has had a couple of random hesitations but never hard braking.
I have had it brake unnecessarily for a car making a left turn in front of me.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
You might have something out of adjustment. Mine doesn’t do what you’re describing, it has had a couple of random hesitations but never hard braking.
I have had it brake unnecessarily for a car making a left turn in front of me.
I would not call it "hard" braking, but it stays back and does not let me pass. My wife keeps asking "is that you or the truck doing that?". It is still soemwhat dangerous with a semi right behind me going 75mph, then the truck decides to slow suddenly to 65.

We did a 300 mile round trip on Monday between Phoenix and Tucson and it did this to me nearly everytime I tried to pass a semi or a car pulling a camper trailer. It would show the semi and then 2-3 phantom cars jumping in front of me, next to the semi, on the driver display. It is obvioulsy using the camera and some AI algorithm, which is a poor implementation.

I have service scheuled on June 21 and am goingto ask if they have some calibrations they can check.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Never had a vehicle with Adaptive Cruise Control before. Watched a few videos of it on a Chevy and thought I would hate it, but turns out I actually like Rivian's implementation. Keep it on the furthest setting, it slows down to maintain safe following distance when someone merges in front of me and speeds back up as they accelerate, etc.

The full "Driver+" is a bit scary, though. 😆

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty funny legacy auto makers have had ACC figured out for over a decade and Rivians acts like it's programmed by a 5th grader.
I think it is because they are using the camera, instead of radar. Normally radar is used for adaptive cruise and camera is used for lane keeping. Radar is more accurate and does not need any Artificial Intelligence. Predicting direction with a camera is reliable, but predicting distance is not because you do not know the actual size of the object in front of you.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have service scheuled on June 21 and am goingto ask if they have some calibrations they can check.
Make sure the request is on your service ticket already. My service center doesn't seem fond of addressing new problems during a service visit.

damovies

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I thought I was doing something wrong or it was the R1S acting up. Hard to believe that this is a good thing. Not having a non-adaptive cruise is really annoying. it makes you drive like a nervous elderly driver or a person with a "baby on board" sticker. And this car is meant for the adventurous type? I might have to sell this car if they don't do anything about it. Every car I've ever owned has non-adaptive cruise control and for road trips it's essential.