Air Compressor - help

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Fellow Geniuses - what is the expected behavior of the air compressor?

I’m 18 months into ownership, use the compressor infrequently. However, every time I’ve tried, I get the same behavior:

1) Set compressor to desired PSI
2) Press start
3) Panic and disconnect because it’s clear we’ve blown past the set point
4) Check pressure with a real gauge and verify my concerns in (3), usually catch it when it’s “only” 5-10 PSI higher than set point

What is the magic incantation to get this to work per manual directions and general logic/reason? Or is mine borked and I need another service call?
Sponsored

Wilsonos

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Rivian, Raptor, Suburban, GLC300, 3500 GMC
Occupation
Owner
Mines always high. That being said I’ve only had the truck a little while but have used it on a couple vehicles. I’d like to hear how others do it. I just keep my gauge in the truck and adjust down. I’m getting better at guessing, it’s not like I do all the time.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Mines always high. That being said I’ve only had the truck a little while but have used it on a couple vehicles. I’d like to hear how others do it. I just keep my gauge in the truck and adjust down. I’m getting better at guessing, it’s not like I do all the time.
Does yours run high, or keep running until you manually shut it off?

I’ve got the latter problem - never shuts off.

The compressor is known to under-read the pressure by around 4psi, so in theory, if you’re aiming for 48, you should set the compressor to 44.

I did that a few minutes ago, and it didn’t stop until I did so manually, and the tire was at 56.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Hook hose to tire
Set pressure
Hit start
Wait for compressor to stop

repeat with next tire
Note you have to set pressure each time after you hook to tire and desired pressure should be flashing before you hit start or compressor will just keep running

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

Note you have to set pressure each time after you hook to tire and desired pressure should be flashing before you hit start or compressor will just keep running
This note is the key. You have to press the setting button every new fill. Even if to go up 1 psi and back down to original.

Sponsored

davidrbailey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

IIRC, the first press of "+" or "-" doesn't actually change the setting, it just puts you into setting mode. So, assuming you want to re-use the same setting for the next tire, you don' t need to do the up and back down thing. It boils down to just pressing "+" then "play". The screen should then show "Set" in the upper right corner. If you forget and just press "play", you won't see Set and are on your way to blowing up a tire.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Set needs to flash or it's in blow mode.

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

What I've noticed is if the hose isn't stretched i.e. for the rear tires, the compressor stops at the desired 48 psi. However, for the front tires, the aftermarket recoil hose is a bit stretched so the compressor doesn't seem to shut off by itself and I need to manually cut off the air.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Hook hose to tire
Set pressure
Hit start
Wait for compressor to stop

repeat with next tire
This

jb0063

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine does the opposite. If I set the pressure, it runs for a few seconds and stops, and I have to keep pressing to get a little more air, over and over again until I reach the set pressure..
Sponsored